Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Faulty ticket

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 11 years ago by JimmySand9.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
A long and winding road
United States
Member #17084
June 10, 2005
4523 Posts
Posted: September 6, 2005, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

I often play the 5 or 8 series draws for the Maryland Lotto and the Megamillions. This saves me from traveling there but for twice a month. Most often I hit between 4 and 10$ worth so I wait and cash them  when I am down that way. This time the clerk handed my winning number tickets back saying "sorry but my machine cant read them" ( the bar code wasnt reading it). So I asked him to manually check. Which he did. He said "Yes they are winning numbers, BUT I cant issue you a winning payout since it wont read out the barcode!". Needless to say I am betwixed by this. Granted I know that faulty tickets are not rewardable but how am I to know when I buy them that when I go to redeem them there would be a barcode issue. Thank heavens its wasn't a REAL large winner. Is there any other options I can take on this matter? I'm seriously considering going to their headquarters and asking them to check the tickets....Its not the amount so much as the principle matter that I bought these tickets, the numbers are correct for paying out yet I cant get my winnings due to the barcode issue...

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23259 Posts
    Posted: September 6, 2005, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

Take it to another retailer -- one who knows how to operate a lottery machine.

They can manually type the ticket barcode numbers into the machine and redeem the ticket that way.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8359 Posts
      Posted: September 7, 2005, 12:52 am - IP Logged

Todd is right take them to another retailer. Is the ink on the tickets dark or light. If it's dark there should be no problem. However i have had tickets the reader wouldn't read because the ink was real light. Some of these retailers will run the machine until the numbers are barly visable before they change the ink cartredge. Another thing is if you leave your tickets on the dash board in the hot sun it will fade the ink on the tickets.

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
        Atlantic Mine, Michigan
        United States
        Member #416
        June 23, 2002
        1614 Posts
        Posted: September 7, 2005, 1:03 am - IP Logged

Or send it to the lottery...they will undoubtedly give you your winnings.

Brad

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3046 Posts
          Posted: September 7, 2005, 1:32 am - IP Logged

I do not know which is worse a retailer that does not change the ink cartridges in a timely manner or a retailer that does not know how to operate the lottery machine or both.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19816 Posts
            Posted: September 7, 2005, 1:58 am - IP Logged

Some retailers/clerks don't shut down their machine and fix the problem when it prints a big white gap down the tickets.  If all the bar-code is not printed, no machine will be able to read it and you should not purchase the ticket if all its bar code lines and numbers aren't printed clearly and correctly.  Most lotteries have a notice posted somewhere saying it's the responsibility of the customer to check that his tickets are printed correctly before leaving the retailer.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4523 Posts
              Posted: September 7, 2005, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Thank you each for the feedback and guidance on this matter.

to answer some questions: The ink was actually dispensing too much at the top of the ticket and cut the ticket incorrectly at the bottom edge where the barcode is.

The attendent *could* have done a more thorough job by manually entering and issuing it that way. But alas the attendant forgets to recall that his store gets a cut of the winnings too! (and most often does pass on some bonus's based on the winning ticket payout)

-again thanks forlks for your suggestions and informative responses!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United States
                Member #1826
                July 11, 2003
                2645 Posts
                Posted: September 7, 2005, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

They have to sometimes manually enter my PA tickets, but they cash them without fuss. Maybe AWI just put bad barcode readers on their terminals.

(insert signature here)