Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA MM Cash Value Less Than Other States?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 11 years ago by danisiri.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
danisiri's avatar - Avatar all_for_Jesus.jpg

United States
Member #13684
April 11, 2005
77 Posts
Posted: September 6, 2005, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

I was reading a press release from the CA Lottery commission (http://www.calottery.com/Media/CurrentQuarter/MEDIAADVISORY_09-03.htm) and it stated that the winner of tonight's MM jackpot would receive about $75 million (before tax withholding) if the cash option is chosen.  Yet, the USA Mega site shows the cash option as being about $93 million before taxes.  Is CA different or are they just flippantly throwing out the "50% of the jackpot" value because that is close to what the CA SLP pays on cash options?

As a CA MM player, I am curious since it is about a 11% difference in the size of the cash options and affects my "if I am ever blessed with the win" plans.

Morrison, IL
    United States
    Member #4657
    May 13, 2004
    1884 Posts
    Posted: September 7, 2005, 12:24 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I think California is just throwing out the "50% of advertised jackpot" value.  The MM cash value option jackpot is the same for ALL states.

United States
      Member #13684
      April 11, 2005
      77 Posts
      Posted: September 7, 2005, 12:35 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I think California is just throwing out the "50% of advertised jackpot" value.  The MM cash value option jackpot is the same for ALL states.

That is my thought too, but I was just curious if someone knew definitely that CA must comply with the same rules for the JP.  All the other levels of prizes are pari-mutuel, so I though perhaps CA might have some special spin on the JP too.

Of course, the larger the JP, the larger the potential discrepancy becomes!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
        Mcminnville, Oregon
        United States
        Member #3013
        December 13, 2003
        3090 Posts
        Posted: September 7, 2005, 2:05 am - IP Logged

In the how to play section of the california website it says that the cash value of the jackpot is pari-mutuel and it is roughly 40% to 50% of the advertised annuity jackpot.  It is different from the other mega million states.

Greenwich, CT
          United States
          Member #4793
          May 24, 2004
          1822 Posts
          Posted: September 7, 2005, 9:43 am - IP Logged

Wow...that's awful.  Now I don't feel quite so bad about NYS taxes.

twisted's avatar - underground
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #2376
            September 25, 2003
            582 Posts
            Posted: September 7, 2005, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

I think the cash value in California is the same as the other MM states. Because I think it will take CA the same amount of cash to pay a $172 million annuity payment paid in 26 payments.

Unless CA has the annuity payment structure for MM just like CA Lotto Plus and the new Powerball (which I dont think is the case).  I think to make their lives simple, they are saying 40-50 percent for both MM and CA Lotto Plus so there wont be too many questions by regular lottery players who just dont know/care.

But just to make sure, I'm going to contact California Lottery and see what they have to say.

United States
              Member #13684
              April 11, 2005
              77 Posts
              Posted: September 8, 2005, 2:44 am - IP Logged

I am interested to see what info 'twisted' gets from the CA lottery commission. 

As far as I can tell from the CA Lotto website, the annuity is paid out in equal payments, not like the graduated payment structure of CA SLP.  So theoretically then, the cash value should be more since the amount invested must return enough to cover the equal value payments.  I ran some calculations in Excel to verify the cash value necessary to return an equal payment over 26 years and there is no way for CA to get a large enough return to cover the annual payments if they are only investing 40-50% of the jackpot into 10-year US Treasury Notes (~4% return).  They must invest the ~62% cash value reported on USA Mega. 

But, if CA invests a smaller amount at a higher rate of return (though likely with more risk), then it would be possible to meet the promised 26 equal payments.  Though I think this scenario is unlikely.

So...I am still curious to see what info anyone can find out.