Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How would you handle charitable donations

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 11 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

How would you handle charitable donations if you won a large prize.

Screw Charity; it's my money and I'm keeping it. [ 5 ]  [17.86%]
I would give money to people with sad stories. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I would give money to organizations I know. [ 6 ]  [21.43%]
I would decide on a case by case basis. [ 11 ]  [39.29%]
I'd give all my money to other Lottery Posters. [ 2 ]  [7.14%]
Other (please specify) [ 4 ]  [14.29%]
Total Valid Votes [ 28 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
New Jersey
United States
Member #21206
September 4, 2005
949 Posts
Posted: September 9, 2005, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

I would divide my winnings into trusts and designate their interest earnings to charities I'd checked out.

United States
    Member #8747
    November 16, 2004
    213 Posts
    Posted: September 9, 2005, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

I will use the money for public Projects being from a 3rd world country

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: September 9, 2005, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

Two good answers. 

I like to think I'd do a foundation and donate carefully on a case by case basis, but if through organizations, look at the percentage of overhead the organization claims.... how many pennies out of every dollar donated actually go out the other end and reach some intended recipient.

I once had occasion to see the figures of that sort from Red Cross, United Fund and a few similar organizations.  It was enough to break me from any tendencies to every give to any of them.

Charity's worth a lot of careful consideration.  Laying cash on another human being is, in many ways, interference in his/her life, which the person would most probably believe was welcome, but which might well do violence to some important challenges and growth in the person's life.

Case by case, for me, mainly in food, hard commodities help, in maybe shelter help, fuel, transportation help.  But almost certainly not hard currency.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
        Member #12618
        March 18, 2005
        2060 Posts
        Posted: September 9, 2005, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

I would probably donate to organizations that I researched first. I probably wouldn't give money to people who came up too me with sob stories. Word would get around and everyone would be begging for your money.

Dance like no one is watching.

konane's avatar - wallace
          Atlanta, GA
          United States
          Member #1265
          March 13, 2003
          3348 Posts
          Posted: September 9, 2005, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

Two good answers. 

I like to think I'd do a foundation and donate carefully on a case by case basis, but if through organizations, look at the percentage of overhead the organization claims.... how many pennies out of every dollar donated actually go out the other end and reach some intended recipient.

I once had occasion to see the figures of that sort from Red Cross, United Fund and a few similar organizations.  It was enough to break me from any tendencies to every give to any of them.

Charity's worth a lot of careful consideration.  Laying cash on another human being is, in many ways, interference in his/her life, which the person would most probably believe was welcome, but which might well do violence to some important challenges and growth in the person's life.

Case by case, for me, mainly in food, hard commodities help, in maybe shelter help, fuel, transportation help.  But almost certainly not hard currency.

Jack

I Agree!         Very well stated!!

Good luck to everyone!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19894 Posts
            Posted: September 9, 2005, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

To the person who voted to give all your money to other Lottery Posters, you don't have to wait until you win a large prize, just post your name and address and you'll be contacted.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
              Member #14
              November 9, 2001
              31526 Posts
              Posted: September 9, 2005, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

To the person who voted to give all your money to other Lottery Posters, you don't have to wait until you win a large prize, just post your name and address and you'll be contacted.

RJOh

good one  ROFL

love to nibble those micey feet.

Buford, GA
                United States
                Member #1215
                March 3, 2003
                433 Posts
                Posted: September 10, 2005, 12:34 am - IP Logged

I  WILL not  donate  to  either RED CROSS nor  UNITED  WAY...the salarys  that  some  of  their  executives  are paid  are  OUTRAGEOUS,  plus the perks they recieve are  way out of line!!

&n

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: September 10, 2005, 1:38 am - IP Logged

RJOh

Might as well get the money now before he spends it all on the lottery.

md
                    United States
                    Member #14047
                    April 20, 2005
                    580 Posts
                    Posted: September 10, 2005, 7:55 am - IP Logged

I'd start my own foundation and have my family apart of the board of directors, the management staff, and our focus would be on creating home ownership opportunities for those indivduals who have no homes.  We'd work with two National Intermediary (Nonprofit) Housing firms.

United States
                      Member #16612
                      June 2, 2005
                      3493 Posts
                      Posted: September 17, 2005, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

If I had won a jackpot, I would donate to some of the relief efforts of Hurricane Katrina. I would also donate some efforts to the Vietnamese temple that I go sometimes in Oakland, CA.

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: September 18, 2005, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

The NJ winner "should" donate some of his or her winnings to Katrina victims. Hopefully he/she/they will choose cash so the refugees don't have to wait any longer than necessary to receive aid.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                          Magnolia, Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #18795
                          July 20, 2005
                          789 Posts
                          Posted: September 18, 2005, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

I would do what a furniture store in Las Vegas, Nevada does. They give 3 families a house full of furniture, but the families themselves can't write the essays. Yes, I said essays. Your neighbors or friends have to write them and send them in in the families name. And this is done every year for Christmas. I'd go just a tad further though, to also make sure the family gets free groceries for 1 year for a family up to 4 persons. So then it would be 3 families getting the house full of furniture and the 1 year supply of groceries free for each of those winning families! Do this each and every year for those 3 families who needs it most from with-in my community!

You know guys, first look in your own communities for people who need help that your local and state agencies have forgotten about. Because your hard earned tax dollars are already going to work to help the victims of Katrina! How much is going to be enough? The estimates/cost have gone as high as 300 billion and as low as 150 to 200 billion to do what needs to be done! So, I ask, how much is enough? And does anyone have all the facts as to how much has been collected in the private sector? I don't think so, because the Red Cross and Salvation Army don't disclose those figures to the public! Ohh thats right the Red Cross had to when 9/11/2001 happened, because the public jumped their butts big time for even thinking about keeping half of the money collected for their coffers!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19894 Posts
                            Posted: September 18, 2005, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

The NJ winner "should" donate some of his or her winnings to Katrina victims. Hopefully he/she/they will choose cash so the refugees don't have to wait any longer than necessary to receive aid.

If he/she/they can't collect their money fast enough to give it away, maybe he/she/they can take out a loan so the people hoping to get their money won't have to wait.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking