Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch-off Blocks

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 11 years ago by iam713.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #21864
September 16, 2005
2 Posts
Posted: September 16, 2005, 8:55 am - IP Logged

I was in the store yesterday and saw a person buying a whole block of unopened lottery tickets. Has anyone ever done this consistently and at least gotten all their money back? How many tickets are in a block?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19816 Posts
    Posted: September 16, 2005, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

There was a news story about two guys in Indiana doing that last year.  They not only got all their money back but won the jackpot which they split with a lottery security person that told them where and which roll to buy.  All three got some jail time too when the State found out about it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #5344
      June 30, 2004
      23641 Posts
      Posted: September 18, 2005, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

I was in the store yesterday and saw a person buying a whole block of unopened lottery tickets. Has anyone ever done this consistently and at least gotten all their money back? How many tickets are in a block?

I work in a lottery store and have activated unopened tickets for lots of customers..  $300 a lick..

Most do not recover the amount paid.. only one customer came back with $900 from the $300 purchase..

I dont recommend it..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

scissorhands's avatar - FIC0009
        Powell, TN
        United States
        Member #10314
        January 9, 2005
        28 Posts
        Posted: September 19, 2005, 12:11 am - IP Logged

I, too work in a Lottery and Tobacco shop and sell lots of packs to customers, as TnTea says, hardly any of them recover half their money back unless the pack happens to have a 500.00 or more winner in it. Jumbo Bucks use to be our biggest pack seller but now alot of people have stopped buying them and only buy whole packs of new release tickets, they think their odds are better for hitting a big ticket, which hasn't happened yet...It would blow your mind to see how much money these people spent on a daily basis just on scratch tickets, I've always believed if they spent the money on powerball tickets alone they would eventually hit a big jackpot!!!

Sex on television can't hurt you, Unless you fall off !!!

Baseball is wrong! Man with four balls cannot walk...

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19816 Posts
          Posted: September 19, 2005, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Logically if a State keeps half the sales as profit, then scratch-offs can only pay 50¢ on the dollar overall, so odds are if that game has a big pay-off some where in the State then a blocks of tickets will pay less than 50¢ on the dollar unless it has that jackpot ticket. 

That's what I don't like about scratch-offs, the odds are good that someone will win a big prize, but that winner has to buy his ticket in the single store which has the winning ticket.  If you're buying your tickets at any other store you can't win and you're just contributing to the winner's prize. 

It makes no sense to buy a block of tickets unless you have some insider information about which store has the winner. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: September 19, 2005, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

There is a way to tell which store has the winning block.

Look for stores that have an even number ending in their address. LOLGuitarBig Smile

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
              North Dakota
              United States
              Member #13397
              April 5, 2005
              1623 Posts
              Posted: September 19, 2005, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

I bought a roll of tickets before from all my free tickets saved up.  (I know the cashier hated me for that one lol)  I bought a book of Jumbo Bucks and I got back about 75% of my money.  I saved my free tickets from that book for the next time I have $300 worth of free tickets.  I might buy $5 or $10 tickets next time.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8359 Posts
                Posted: September 19, 2005, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

I think a lot of places that sell winning scratchers might have done so by complaining to lottery personel that their customers are complaining that their place has not sold any decent winners in x amount of time. So the lottery people give them a book or two with some good winners in it. For the most part i usually ask the store owner or ticket sellers if their place has ever sold any big money winners. If they say yes we just sold one last week or something to that effect then i get my tickets from somewhere else. I figure they aren't going to continously give retailers winning books of tickets unless that retailer is a major ticket seller.

You have to figure that they are selling millions dollars worth of the same kind of ticket. And each game probably has the same or more tickets in its lot. So there could be as many as 30/50 million or more tickets for sale in any given state. Your chances aren't much better wether you buy one or two tickets than there are if you buy a whole book. Especially if there are only 5 books with a top tier prize of 500 thousand or more. An that particular game might have 5 million dollars worth of tickets connected to it spread out all over the state.

however like someone said, sombodys going to buy the winner sooner or later--- it could be you.

Alabama
                  United States
                  Member #17830
                  June 27, 2005
                  309 Posts
                  Posted: September 20, 2005, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

See "My Scratch off Adventure" posted by gutgnt at http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/119713

iam713's avatar - techno eye.jpg
                    Jonesboro,Ga
                    United States
                    Member #21753
                    September 14, 2005
                    71 Posts
                    Posted: September 20, 2005, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

I got lucky years ago by buying a ticket that I knew had stop selling in my neighborhood. It pd $500. I guest that's being in the right place at the right time.