Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winning the Jackpot...

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 11 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
Riverside, Ca
United States
Member #21722
September 14, 2005
173 Posts
Posted: September 18, 2005, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

you hear about what people would do if they won a big lottery jackpot...buy a house, new car, go on vacation etc. and you hear about what they are going to do with their money, But if you think about it, do you think you or anyone else is really prepared to win that much money? the way i look at it is winning the lottery would be nice but i think its too much money too soon.  i just want to know what you guys think

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: September 18, 2005, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

Whenever you get that overwhelming feeling of having too much money in your hands, too soon, feel free to send the difference that makes you uncomfortable to this address.

Pacattack05....money lover

72531 money avenue

Greensville, Florida 34956

Thanx. LOL

Litebets27's avatar - power
      Maryland
      United States
      Member #10465
      January 14, 2005
      6065 Posts
      Posted: September 18, 2005, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

Whenever you get that overwhelming feeling of having too much money in your hands, too soon, feel free to send the difference that makes you uncomfortable to this address.

Pacattack05....money lover

72531 money avenue

Greensville, Florida 34956

Thanx. LOL

I Agree!

You took the words right out of my mouth.

litebets

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
        Member #5344
        June 30, 2004
        23641 Posts
        Posted: September 18, 2005, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

Winning the big one wouldn't change a thing for me.. except my hubby says he will quit work... lol

I love my career.. so I will continue to go to school each day and pray I dont see a parent's face...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: September 18, 2005, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

Winning the big one wouldn't change a thing for me.. except my hubby says he will quit work... lol

I love my career.. so I will continue to go to school each day and pray I dont see a parent's face...

Are you a caregiver? Is that why you love what you're doing? I'm guessing you're a teacher?

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
            Albuquerque, New Mexico
            United States
            Member #5128
            June 18, 2004
            377 Posts
            Posted: September 19, 2005, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

Now, that would depend upon the age of the winner.  For example, if the winner is in the 20-30s range, he or she might be somewhat frivilous with the windfall.  However, if the winner is in the 40s+ range...the winner might stray on the side of economic caution: saving for a rainy day --(retirement; kids' education; tax-free annuities; timely and cautious investments; making more $$$ for the future, and possibly,charities.)

For me, I tend to err on the side of economic conservatism: how can I make my money work for me and not for Uncle Sam. I do not mind paying my fair share of taxes, but I do not want to become a tax martyr -- sort of a volunteer cruicified sacrifice for the tax gods (IRS). 

Finally, if LP prospective winners have not taken pen and paper in hand, drawing up a blueprint of various economic scenarios, then there may be a possibility of rigor mortis, a stiffening of the muscles occurring after death: the winner could not stand the shock of all that $$$. 

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
              Dump Water Florida
              United States
              Member #380
              June 5, 2002
              3106 Posts
              Posted: September 20, 2005, 2:15 am - IP Logged

If the jackpot winner is stable and has a working brain there shouldn't be a problem.  When you are broke, you want everything you see.  When you win and have one of everything, that's generally enough.  How many plasma screens do you need anyway and the movies aren't getting better no matter how much you have to spend on entertainment.  One thing I've learned, the more money you have the more ways you can afford to do something stupid that gets you killed, like the Wal-mart heir crashing an ulra-light, etc.  BobP

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: September 20, 2005, 2:47 am - IP Logged

Now, that would depend upon the age of the winner.  For example, if the winner is in the 20-30s range, he or she might be somewhat frivilous with the windfall.  However, if the winner is in the 40s+ range...the winner might stray on the side of economic caution: saving for a rainy day --(retirement; kids' education; tax-free annuities; timely and cautious investments; making more $$$ for the future, and possibly,charities.)

For me, I tend to err on the side of economic conservatism: how can I make my money work for me and not for Uncle Sam. I do not mind paying my fair share of taxes, but I do not want to become a tax martyr -- sort of a volunteer cruicified sacrifice for the tax gods (IRS). 

Finally, if LP prospective winners have not taken pen and paper in hand, drawing up a blueprint of various economic scenarios, then there may be a possibility of rigor mortis, a stiffening of the muscles occurring after death: the winner could not stand the shock of all that $$$. 

Look at how wonderfull the current record holder has been doing and he was in his 50's or 60's when he won and was worth more than a million when he bought the ticket. Maturity is not something that comes with age or income at time of purchase.

United States
                  Member #1826
                  July 11, 2003
                  2645 Posts
                  Posted: September 20, 2005, 3:11 am - IP Logged

Look at how wonderfull the current record holder has been doing and he was in his 50's or 60's when he won and was worth more than a million when he bought the ticket. Maturity is not something that comes with age or income at time of purchase.

I agree. Sometime maturity comes at an early age, and sometimes it never comes at all. Just compare lil' 18-year old me when I when a jackpot with Jack Whittaker, and you'll see age isn't as accurate of a maturity barometer as we all think.

(insert signature here)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19831 Posts
                    Posted: September 20, 2005, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

People adjust to being poor and they can adjust to being rich too as long as they don't confuse the two.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking