Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Did Hot Lotto begin five years too late?

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: September 19, 2005, 10:39 am - IP Logged

I'm thinking why HL is struggling. It began in 2002 to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Powerball. Maybe it should have been offered instead of Daily Millions, as a 5th anniversary game. It probably would have started with more MUSL members, like Rhode Island, then the actual six, which has become eight. The name "Hot Lotto" was used by Idaho for a pick-5, which probably explains why ID doesn't sell it. Perhaps Kentucky, which for years was interested in a regional multi-state game, would be selling it instead of Lotto South. Lastly, HL should have been drawn Mon-Thu or Tue-Fri.

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: September 19, 2005, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

There were missteps all along the way with Hot Lotto. From the format, to the drawing days, they really screwed up what could've been a great game. Have you ever noticed how these second-banana games from MUSL have gotten gradually worse, and less innovative. First came Daily Millions, which was one of the most unique games ever created. Then Cash4Life, which had a unique prize (at the time) but borrowed NJ's Lotzee format. Then came Rolldown, which was just a pick-5 overgrown in all the wrong places. And now Hot Lotto, which is nothing more than a runt Powerball. What's next, a 40% payout game? I just hope they turn around and replace it with something better, it's too late to save HL now.

(insert signature here)

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: September 19, 2005, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

jimmy:

Only MUSL knows whether Hot Lotto will be gone soon, or whether they're trying to get Oklahoma to play it. I know all too well about games with a 40% prize return.

United States
        Member #379
        June 5, 2002
        11296 Posts
        Posted: September 22, 2005, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

HL hit again for less than $2 million. Does anyone know where?

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: September 27, 2005, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Another sign HL is in bad shape: The latest jackpot "winner" made the wrong choice. Powerball got the hint after two consecutive "winners" chose annuity.

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8360 Posts
            Posted: September 27, 2005, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

Hot Lotto should never had started then more people would be playing Powerball !

United States
              Member #1826
              July 11, 2003
              2645 Posts
              Posted: September 27, 2005, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

Hot Lotto was a half-baked idea, period. It has the same draw nights as Powerball, and have the same play style as Powerball. The only difference is Powerball has much bigger jackpots. The casual player, which makes up the vast majority of players, only cares about the top prize, so they'll only be playing PB. There's no real incentive to play Hot Lotto as long as it competes directly with Powerball.

So MUSL, do us all a favor, put your thinking caps on, and come up with something different. Something new, refreshing, and innovative.

(insert signature here)

United States
                Member #1826
                July 11, 2003
                2645 Posts
                Posted: September 27, 2005, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

Another sign HL is in bad shape: The latest jackpot "winner" made the wrong choice. Powerball got the hint after two consecutive "winners" chose annuity.

The latest jackpot winner was a recent immigrant from Kenya, and became a US Citizen the day he won. Cut him some slack, he's new to all this. Besides, $60,000 a year for 20 years is nothing to cough at.

(insert signature here)

starchild_45's avatar - spherewall2
                  kent, washington
                  United States
                  Member #3509
                  January 26, 2004
                  465 Posts
                  Posted: September 27, 2005, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

i wish i could play it more often. i like the crappy odds about hot lotto. a guarantee pot of a million dollars. that is all i need.

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: September 28, 2005, 9:45 am - IP Logged

jimmy:

His prize is in 25 annual installments (not 20.) He's from a part of the world where AIDS is rampant.