Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 3:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

is a $500 million jackpot possible?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 11 years ago by cyto.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
Riverside, Ca
United States
Member #21722
September 14, 2005
173 Posts
Posted: September 22, 2005, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

ok i was thinking is a $500 million jackpot even possible, because when you think about it, like after the jackpot gets over $200 million then thats when everyone and there mother runs out and gets tickets. then when it gets to a certain point like say $320 million you know someone out there is going to hit it because its just too big.

So do you think that we will ever see a $500 million jackpot, and what are the odds of that?

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: September 22, 2005, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

It's possible like winning the lottery is possible. Both are very unlikely to happen. Last time any game broke 300 million was 2002. I doubt any game will break 300 this year unless powerball deflates their annuity again.

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: September 22, 2005, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

It's possible like winning the lottery is possible. Both are very unlikely to happen. Last time any game broke 300 million was 2002. I doubt any game will break 300 this year unless powerball deflates their annuity again.

Maybe MM will take the cue and deflate theirs .... do a 50 or 75 year payout and get a half a billion jackpot straight out of the chute, lump sum value 7 milllion.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #2338
        September 17, 2003
        2063 Posts
        Posted: September 22, 2005, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

I would hope not rip snorter - I like the game the way is as far as the payouts are concerned.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
          Magnolia, Delaware
          United States
          Member #18795
          July 20, 2005
          789 Posts
          Posted: September 22, 2005, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

Good God people, please don't give the MM people any ideas! I know if MM does deflate theirs too, I'll quit playing both lotteries! As it stands now, I only jump on the PB's band wagon when it's over 50 million. The reason is for the fact that they at PB have cut the cash pay-out to less than 50% of the annuity!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: September 22, 2005, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

I would hope not rip snorter - I like the game the way is as far as the payouts are concerned.

Unless a person's going to take the annuity the size of the advertised jackpot is meaningless.  7 million is 7 million,whether they call it half a billion or 20 million.  Spreading the annuity out wouldn't change the payouts for lump takers.

If you're open to taking the annuity, imagine how much nicer it would be to win half a billion (worth 7 million) as opposed to, say, $20 million (worth 7 million). 

This is my roundabout way of telling you I don't see your point.

Jack

Egos don't count.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
              Magnolia, Delaware
              United States
              Member #18795
              July 20, 2005
              789 Posts
              Posted: September 23, 2005, 12:07 am - IP Logged

Cash now is always better than cash later down the road. No Annuity of any kind is good for anyone, no matter how it's sliced! A dollar today has always been viewed more valuable than the dollar a year from now! If the dollar today is worth (lets say) 78 cents and a year from now it goes down to 75 cents you just lost your butt on your annuity. That's the main reason for never taking any annuity of any kind! The second reason for not taking an annuity, is you pay more in taxes over the years than you would on a lump sum cash pay-out!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

New Mexico
                United States
                Member #12305
                March 10, 2005
                2984 Posts
                Posted: September 23, 2005, 12:15 am - IP Logged

Hmmm.  Is this a recording? 

Jack

Egos don't count.

United States
                  Member #8747
                  November 16, 2004
                  213 Posts
                  Posted: September 23, 2005, 12:46 am - IP Logged

$500 million is possible because it will take only 2 draws from $320 to reach 500. The number is just gonna have to be sneaky to avoid all the personal picks and quick picks out there which will be a feat on its own

Morrison, IL
                    United States
                    Member #4657
                    May 13, 2004
                    1884 Posts
                    Posted: September 23, 2005, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Cash now is always better than cash later down the road. No Annuity of any kind is good for anyone, no matter how it's sliced! A dollar today has always been viewed more valuable than the dollar a year from now! If the dollar today is worth (lets say) 78 cents and a year from now it goes down to 75 cents you just lost your butt on your annuity. That's the main reason for never taking any annuity of any kind! The second reason for not taking an annuity, is you pay more in taxes over the years than you would on a lump sum cash pay-out!

That kind of reasoning only encourages Mega Millions to follow Powerball's example of inflating the annuity.  Powerball claims they did that to adjust for inflation.

Out West
                      United States
                      Member #22368
                      September 24, 2005
                      3 Posts
                      Posted: September 24, 2005, 2:06 am - IP Logged

Good God people, please don't give the MM people any ideas! I know if MM does deflate theirs too, I'll quit playing both lotteries! As it stands now, I only jump on the PB's band wagon when it's over 50 million. The reason is for the fact that they at PB have cut the cash pay-out to less than 50% of the annuity!

I have noticed this too. It used to be at 55-56% of the jackpot would be the cash payout. Now it's 49% of the jackpot.