Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 2:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto South coming to an end??

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
North Dakota
United States
Member #13397
April 5, 2005
1623 Posts
Posted: September 27, 2005, 1:06 am - IP Logged

This is from the KYlottery

- A plan to replace the Lotto South game with a new game tentatively called “Win For Life” in the Spring.

This is only for KY.  No word from VA or GA.  And to make CO really mad they are making something like lucky for life in its place.  I can hear CO now.    Cussing Face

How are you going to win if you don't play?

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: September 27, 2005, 6:23 am - IP Logged

Even WA put lucky for life out of it's misery and they can screw up any game.

United States
      Member #5565
      July 11, 2004
      260 Posts
      Posted: September 27, 2005, 9:28 am - IP Logged

Kentucky has Powerball on the same nights.  Lotto South should move their dates to Thursday and Monday, or to Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday.  In the South, there's four Powerball states and two Mega Millions states.  They'd be better off not directly competing with Powerball on two nights a week.

United States
        Member #379
        June 5, 2002
        11296 Posts
        Posted: September 27, 2005, 10:18 am - IP Logged

That better not be right, unless the proposed game has a cash option. LS should have began with a larger matrix than 6/49.

North Dakota
          United States
          Member #13397
          April 5, 2005
          1623 Posts
          Posted: September 27, 2005, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

CO you can go to Kylottery.com and click on news.  Select the 2005 audit.  It releases all their plans.  That is there in black and white.

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: September 27, 2005, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

I sure hope LS will continue even if KY pulls out. Ironically the low 6/49 matrix would make more sense in a bi-state game (Georgia & Virginia).

United States
              Member #1826
              July 11, 2003
              2645 Posts
              Posted: September 27, 2005, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

I sure hope LS will continue even if KY pulls out. Ironically the low 6/49 matrix would make more sense in a bi-state game (Georgia & Virginia).

I don't know. If I remember correctly, VA & GA get the vast majority of LS sales, and that might be why KY is pulling out.

But to allow me to reiterate, they need to move the draw nights to Monday & Thursday. Either that or go back to their original in-state game (GA particularly).

(insert signature here)

United States
                Member #5565
                July 11, 2004
                260 Posts
                Posted: September 28, 2005, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

I don't think Lotto South can compete head to head with the two biggies. Lotto South wants to keep one of its drawings on Fridays or Saturdays for the heavier weekend sales. Perhaps they need to go to three days a week to Monday, Thursday, and Saturdays. This would avoid direct competition with one of the biggies twice a week. One of PB or MM is likely to have lower jackpots at any given time. Question is will North Carolina go with Powerball or Mega Millions, which may drive their decision whether or not to join Lotto South as well  The schedule I proposed above would also work for South Carolina since they wanted LS to move one of their dates.

North Dakota
                  United States
                  Member #13397
                  April 5, 2005
                  1623 Posts
                  Posted: September 28, 2005, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

This is from the VA lottery

Thank you for your email. 
                  Kentucky, Georgia and Virginia are all currently in the process of analyzing the Lotto South game.  Ticket sales have been decreasing and the states are looking into possible changes.  At this time, Lotto South will remain the same with all three states participating.
                  Please contact us with any further questions.

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: September 28, 2005, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

tn:

KY says they are looking into replacing LS with a "lose for life" game. LS needs a bigger matrix ASAP.

North Dakota
                      United States
                      Member #13397
                      April 5, 2005
                      1623 Posts
                      Posted: September 28, 2005, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

Well my impression is that GA VA and KY are looking into dropping the game to start an instate or another kind of game like Win for life (ky)  With that said I'm guessing TN and SC aren't going to or have not asked to be part of LS.  I like the game but what can you do???  This could be good for Hot Lotto.  I know SC is looking into another lotto game like LS or Hot Lotto but I don't know what they have in mind.  TN will more than likely go with their own instate game rather than hot lotto.  Just my thoughts...

Also,  GA players should be buying more and more tickets because there is a winner like once ever few weeks.  But that's just my opinion.  If VA drops LS then GA could pull Lotto GA again.  (I never got a chance to play because I was under 18 when they cut it.) 

United States
                        Member #5565
                        July 11, 2004
                        260 Posts
                        Posted: September 28, 2005, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

Hot Lotto seems to be out for Va as an option as PB+HL seems to be a package deal.  It looks like a dying trend for instate Pick6 games except for the most populous states.  The Cash5 game is also suffering declining sales.  The growth is in scratch tickets and Mega Millions.  It wouldn't surprise me if the state looks at  Keno.

Morrison, IL
                          United States
                          Member #4657
                          May 13, 2004
                          1884 Posts
                          Posted: September 28, 2005, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Correct.  A non-MUSL state cannot sell Hot Lotto tickets.

As far as Lotto South goes, it, like many other classic lotto games, is getting squeezed out by Powerball and Mega Millions.

United States
                            Member #1826
                            July 11, 2003
                            2645 Posts
                            Posted: September 28, 2005, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

IMHO, Georgia was better off with Lotto Georgia. The payouts and jackpots were similar to LS, despite the easier matrix. It was just a better game, and I think thats the consensus among Georgia players judging by sales.

Lotto Virginia is pretty much the same as Lotto South (except one got a 6th QP for every 5 plays), so no lamenting there.

Lotto South was a definate improvement on Lotto Kentucky, which never had a 3/6 prize. So they were right in replacing it with LS. I just hope that Win For Life is further improves on Lotto South, because I hate it when lotteries replace a good game with another game that's not better.

(insert signature here)

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
                              Member #4416
                              April 22, 2004
                              1075 Posts
                              Posted: September 28, 2005, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

IMHO, Georgia was better off with Lotto Georgia. The payouts and jackpots were similar to LS, despite the easier matrix. It was just a better game, and I think thats the consensus among Georgia players judging by sales.

Lotto Virginia is pretty much the same as Lotto South (except one got a 6th QP for every 5 plays), so no lamenting there.

Lotto South was a definate improvement on Lotto Kentucky, which never had a 3/6 prize. So they were right in replacing it with LS. I just hope that Win For Life is further improves on Lotto South, because I hate it when lotteries replace a good game with another game that's not better.

Lotto Kentucky did indeed offer a 3/6 prize for most of its history until a bunch of greedy, overzealous, shortsighted bureaucrats in the state government bullied the  Kentucky Lottery Corporation into changing things in order to deliver more revenue to the state with blatant disregard for the wishes and interests of players. The KLC then instituted a number of changes, one of which was dropping the 3/6 payoff for Lotto Kentucky, which I think brought about the game's ultimate demise.

I can tell you that I cut way back on my play when they quit paying off for 3/6. I think they didn't realize that even a bunch of wishful thinking lottery players would eventually draw the line somewhere when they got tired of government inspired abuse. Lotto Kentucky was a good, realistic 6/42 jackpot game for a state the size of Kentucky. It was the only lottery game I've ever been lucky enough to cash a $1000 ticket on. It would probably be alive and well in some form today if a bunch of politicians hadn't tried to tell the Kentucky Lottery Corporation how to do its job.

I really don't know exactly why Kentucky is getting out of Lotto South, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that it is again at least in part the result of meddling by politicians who are ignorant and insensitive to the interests of the players who make or break any game.  It would be a simple thing to just let a competent professional like the Kentucky Lottery Corporation's Arch Gleason do his job as he so well knows how, but Kentucky government has a longstanding tradition of ignorance and  backwardness to uphold. Oops, they've done it again!

aye'