Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

powerball 16 th draw 180 million

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 11 years ago by ryanm.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
United States
Member #19651
August 3, 2005
621 Posts
Posted: October 2, 2005, 12:43 am - IP Logged

sales are slow a 13 million jump       it would take 6 draws more to take 364 million

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
    Atlantic Mine, Michigan
    United States
    Member #416
    June 23, 2002
    1614 Posts
    Posted: October 2, 2005, 12:58 am - IP Logged

You are not kidding.  The cash option went up only what 7 million.  That is riduculous for the level the jackpot is at.  Is that a mistake?  I don't see how they could have sold only that amount of tickets.

Brad

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: October 2, 2005, 1:30 am - IP Logged

Yeah the cash value option should be at least $95 million, suggesting an annuity jackpot of $191 million.

The last time the Powerball jackpot rolled fifteen times, the cash value option of the jackpot was over $102 million.

It is true that the jackpot winner now receives only 30.2886% of sales, as compared to 32.6689% under the old matrix, but that shouldn't have THAT big an impact on the cash value option.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #2338
        September 17, 2003
        2063 Posts
        Posted: October 2, 2005, 2:54 am - IP Logged

Maybe players are ticked off at the crummy amount of cash they are getting if they win this inflated annuity. I doubt anyone at MUSL is going to get that message however. At this rate it's going to take far more than three rollovers to break 300 million. Maybe five rollovers.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
          North Dakota
          United States
          Member #13397
          April 5, 2005
          1623 Posts
          Posted: October 2, 2005, 4:09 am - IP Logged

For the last draw there were over 30 million tickets sold.  Still waiting to see how many were sold for this one.  I know at my retailer I bought mine at sold a good number of tickets.  Which of course doesn't represent all of the US or even all of TN but I saw brisk sales.  To give you an idea of how brisk I had to wait about 12 minutes in line today.  Surprising it only rolled to $180.  I thought $200 million easy.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Sparta, NJ
            United States
            Member #18331
            July 9, 2005
            1977 Posts
            Posted: October 2, 2005, 8:19 am - IP Logged

Same investment - HUGE reduction in take-home cash value.

My interest is dropping rapidly, especially since MM is my primary.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
              Atlantic Mine, Michigan
              United States
              Member #416
              June 23, 2002
              1614 Posts
              Posted: October 2, 2005, 10:35 am - IP Logged

They did sell 37.1 million tickets.  Which is more than the previous drawing.  The last jump was 19 million.  How if they sold more tickets did the jackpot go up less?  That's weird.  Did they really lower the amount going to fund the jackpot to a little over 30%?  Do they have new rules now that if they have a high payout (because of low number etc.) that they can borrow from the jackpot fund?  It just doesn't make sense.

Brad

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
                United States
                Member #19651
                August 3, 2005
                621 Posts
                Posted: October 2, 2005, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

its got to get higher before the next draw      and a hit of 185+        or  a roll over of 25 million puts draw #17 at 205 million  weak  mm is faster  but lack of dream cash could and is making all jack pots smaller      the last mm run i didnt see lines or  $ 50-100 lots of tixs

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1884 Posts
                  Posted: October 2, 2005, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

I've figured out the reason it jumped by such a low amount.  Powerball has been selling less tickets than they projected this run.  If you do the math, the CVO for Saturday's jackpot, had it been won, would have been only $79.3 million (32.6689% of the first four draw sales go to the jackpot, under the old matrix, while 30.28855% of the remaining draw sales go to the jackpot, under the new matrix).

For the real draw sales, go to http://www.lottoreport.com/salescomparison.htm .

Powerball's press release figures are higher only because they include PowerPlay sales as well, and nothing from PowerPlay sales goes toward the jackpot.

United States
                    Member #1826
                    July 11, 2003
                    2645 Posts
                    Posted: October 2, 2005, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

Mega Millions just keeps looking better and better. Even if Powerball pays better lower-tier prizes, the jackpot system is just oogly. It would be great if they went back to a 20-year equal payment system (with a cash option). It'll never happen, but it would be nice to have a bigger-looking cash option.

(insert signature here)

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                      Member #2338
                      September 17, 2003
                      2063 Posts
                      Posted: October 2, 2005, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

Since it's run by the same idiots that came up with a jackpot cap I don't think they even care if powerball is left to flounder with sagging sales due to poor management.

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: October 2, 2005, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

It's not poor management, it's just fate.

When Powerball paid annuities in 30 year installments, players complained that inflation would hurt winners if they went that route - therefore, they adjusted the annuity for inflation, which is why CVO is now a lesser percentage.  That is bulls**t though, since nobody really takes the annuity.

Under the old matrix, there were too many winners, and even the pathetic Powerball sales now are better than they were when the jackpot was hit every other week.

Mega Millions' sales were hurt in the other states as well when they increased the matrix, it just did not show because California made up the difference.  Powerball did not get any more states when they increased their matrix, thus, the only way for sales to go was down.

Just goes to show, Powerball was damned if they did (make those changes) and damned if they didn't.  The only thing that will help them is if they grab Florida, Oklahoma, North Carolina, and every state that gets a lottery in the future.