Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is powerball sandbagging the jackpot?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Prob988.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
New Jersey
United States
Member #21206
September 4, 2005
949 Posts
Posted: October 3, 2005, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

The announced growth of a jackpot by 13 million dollars is rather small for an advertised jackpot of $180 million.  In fact, the numbers are completely inconsistent with known sales patterns.

It may be that Powerball may be under advertising the actual value in hopes of supressing sales on this drawing, thereby raising the probability of another rollover.  This would give them the capability of producing a much larger jackpot, and much higher sales over two drawings than they would have by simply hyping this one and risking that it is won.

This is the only way I can account for the discrepancy.

I know Powerball is obligated to not inflate the jackpot, but there may be no rule against under-representing it.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: October 3, 2005, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Or sales are just down. They sold 33 million at 167 and evidently don't expect more than a 5-9 million dollar jump this time. Sales fell harder than when MM changed it's odds but MM did not change the cash pay outs. Without detailed marketing polls it would be hard to say why sales are down so dramatically but it looks like you might have to revise your execellent probability predictions based on much lower sales.

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
      Atlantic Mine, Michigan
      United States
      Member #416
      June 23, 2002
      1614 Posts
      Posted: October 3, 2005, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

I was thinking and maybe they just overstated the jackpot for the previous drawing (167m) and this is a correctional drawing.  If the next jackpot isn't at least over $200 then we know something is going on.

Brad

United States
        Member #379
        June 5, 2002
        11296 Posts
        Posted: October 3, 2005, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

988:

That makes a lot of sense to me. MUSL probably knows when players get REALLY excited.

Morrison, IL
          United States
          Member #4657
          May 13, 2004
          1884 Posts
          Posted: October 3, 2005, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

They did overstate last Saturday's jackpot.  Their estimated CVO was $4 million higher than it would have actually been had the jackpot been won.  Therefore, they actually predicted a $9 million increase in the CVO (estimating sales of about $30 million).

New Jersey
            United States
            Member #21206
            September 4, 2005
            949 Posts
            Posted: October 3, 2005, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

They did overstate last Saturday's jackpot.  Their estimated CVO was $4 million higher than it would have actually been had the jackpot been won.  Therefore, they actually predicted a $9 million increase in the CVO (estimating sales of about $30 million).

I don't think so. 

Sales for this run were, including the last draw, $257,821,615.  This suggests that the cash value should have been around 86.8 million were the prize won.

This is actually higher than they predicted.

I get my sales figures from Lottoreport.com.  Do you get yours somewhere else?

I still thinking they're sandbagging or engaged in some kind of marketing game.  It will be interesting to see if, as is improbable, the jackpot is actually won this time.    I'll bet that the prize is much higher than advertised.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
              Member #2338
              September 17, 2003
              2063 Posts
              Posted: October 3, 2005, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

Only way to know for sure is if it doesn't get hit and the pot jumps to 220. The only real numbers would be at the 200 and 300 million dollar mark. Any push would have to occur around that level if it's for marketing reasons.

Morrison, IL
                United States
                Member #4657
                May 13, 2004
                1884 Posts
                Posted: October 4, 2005, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

I don't think so. 

Sales for this run were, including the last draw, $257,821,615.  This suggests that the cash value should have been around 86.8 million were the prize won.

I still thinking they're sandbagging or engaged in some kind of marketing game.  It will be interesting to see if, as is improbable, the jackpot is actually won this time.    I'll bet that the prize is much higher than advertised.

I did get my sales figures from lottoreport.com as well, but they incorrectly state that the jackpot winner receives 32.6689% of sales.  That applies only to the first four drawings of the current run, which were still under the old matrix.  For the remaining sales, only 30.28855% goes to the jackpot, under the new matrix.

New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #21206
                  September 4, 2005
                  949 Posts
                  Posted: October 4, 2005, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

I don't think so. 

I did get my sales figures from lottoreport.com as well, but they incorrectly state that the jackpot winner receives 32.6689% of sales.  That applies only to the first four drawings of the current run, which were still under the old matrix.  For the remaining sales, only 30.28855% goes to the jackpot, under the new matrix.

I didn't know that.  That's very interesting and relevant to understanding the probabilites of rollovers.    Powerball is messing with the players in yet another way.

Thanks.  If I might ask, what was your source on this information?

Morrison, IL
                    United States
                    Member #4657
                    May 13, 2004
                    1884 Posts
                    Posted: October 4, 2005, 2:19 pm - IP Logged
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #21206
                      September 4, 2005
                      949 Posts
                      Posted: October 4, 2005, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

Thanks. 

This explains my difficulty completely.  I will incorporate this new data in my calculation spreadsheet of rollover probabilities. 

Thanks again.  I appreciate it.