Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$500 Million Jackpot!

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 11 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Will we see a $500 Million Jackpot

Yes [ 20 ]  [31.25%]
No [ 13 ]  [20.31%]
Maybe [ 11 ]  [17.19%]
Never [ 3 ]  [4.69%]
Powerball Game [ 2 ]  [3.12%]
Mega Millions [ 15 ]  [23.44%]
Total Valid Votes [ 64 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
Elkins,WV
United States
Member #3210
January 3, 2004
66 Posts
Posted: October 4, 2005, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

Will it ever happen?

baton rouge
    United States
    Member #10797
    January 26, 2005
    85 Posts
    Posted: October 4, 2005, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

why it should not?

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
      Atlantic Mine, Michigan
      United States
      Member #416
      June 23, 2002
      1614 Posts
      Posted: October 4, 2005, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

When you ask these types of questions I wonder why you even bother to put PowerBall on the list.  When the jackpot reaches around $350 million they cap it at $25 million increases.  This means after that point you will need 6 more drawings to reach the $500 million mark.  Odds of that are really really slim.  Mega Millions will take at most 3 drawings after the $350 mark to the $500 mark.  This is possible especially with the sales patterns of lately.  Time will tell but I believe it will happen in Mega Millions first or in a national lotter or international lottery if they ever get going on one again.

Brad

Atlantic Mine, Michigan
        United States
        Member #416
        June 23, 2002
        1614 Posts
        Posted: October 4, 2005, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

One other note...as an example Mega Millions would need to sell around 910,000,000 tickets to fund a jackpot of $500,000,000 with todays interest rates.  That is a lot of tickets to sell in a single jackpot run.  It will be nice to see someday.

Brad

Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
          Riverside, Ca
          United States
          Member #21722
          September 14, 2005
          173 Posts
          Posted: October 5, 2005, 1:52 am - IP Logged

i think the odds of a $500 million jackpot are higher than winning the lottery because when the jackpot gets really high like $200-$300 million range you just know its going to get hit by someone, the lottery people said we would see a $500 million jackpot under the right conditions, they never guaranteed it, but i hope we see it one day

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #2338
            September 17, 2003
            2063 Posts
            Posted: October 5, 2005, 9:30 am - IP Logged

When you ask these types of questions I wonder why you even bother to put PowerBall on the list.  When the jackpot reaches around $350 million they cap it at $25 million increases.  This means after that point you will need 6 more drawings to reach the $500 million mark.  Odds of that are really really slim.  Mega Millions will take at most 3 drawings after the $350 mark to the $500 mark.  This is possible especially with the sales patterns of lately.  Time will tell but I believe it will happen in Mega Millions first or in a national lotter or international lottery if they ever get going on one again.

Brad

Sadly the cap is even lower than 350. The record for Powerball is owned by Jack at 314.9 million. So the highest it can get for this run is 339.9 million. It would take 4 "record" runs to break 400 million (the 4th one being just under 420). You are very right about not putting Powerball on the list.

I have been waiting for any game to break 300 since 2002 so anyone using 500 million as their threshold is just not going to be buying lottery tickets.

Atlantic Mine, Michigan
              United States
              Member #416
              June 23, 2002
              1614 Posts
              Posted: October 5, 2005, 11:43 am - IP Logged

Records are fun to see but as long as it is worth playing then I will play.  I usually start buying tickets around the $100 million mark and increase purchases until it hits.  I don't mind 150-200 million jackpots.

Brad

Greenwich, CT
                United States
                Member #4793
                May 24, 2004
                1822 Posts
                Posted: October 5, 2005, 11:46 am - IP Logged

What if the advertised jackpot doesn't break the $25m cap, but still passes the mark of JW?  Let's say the jackpot reaches $330 million, then the cap would go into effect next time at $355m, right?  I don't think it must be $339.9 million.

twisted's avatar - underground
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #2376
                  September 25, 2003
                  582 Posts
                  Posted: October 5, 2005, 11:46 am - IP Logged

When you ask these types of questions I wonder why you even bother to put PowerBall on the list. When the jackpot reaches around $350 million they cap it at $25 million increases. This means after that point you will need 6 more drawings to reach the $500 million mark. Odds of that are really really slim. Mega Millions will take at most 3 drawings after the $350 mark to the $500 mark. This is possible especially with the sales patterns of lately. Time will tell but I believe it will happen in Mega Millions first or in a national lotter or international lottery if they ever get going on one again.

Brad

Sadly the cap is even lower than 350. The record for Powerball is owned by Jack at 314.9 million. So the highest it can get for this run is 339.9 million. It would take 4 "record" runs to break 400 million (the 4th one being just under 420). You are very right about not putting Powerball on the list.

I have been waiting for any game to break 300 since 2002 so anyone using 500 million as their threshold is just not going to be buying lottery tickets.

I think you dont understand how the cap rule works. If I remember reading the rule correctly on the old FAQ at the Powerball website (cant find it now) it said that once the jackpot reaches a new record the NEXT rollover will be capped at $25 million.

Greenwich, CT
                    United States
                    Member #4793
                    May 24, 2004
                    1822 Posts
                    Posted: October 5, 2005, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Did we just say the same thing at the same time?!

Haha, now that's twisted!

Morrison, IL
                      United States
                      Member #4657
                      May 13, 2004
                      1884 Posts
                      Posted: October 5, 2005, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

When you ask these types of questions I wonder why you even bother to put PowerBall on the list. When the jackpot reaches around $350 million they cap it at $25 million increases. This means after that point you will need 6 more drawings to reach the $500 million mark. Odds of that are really really slim. Mega Millions will take at most 3 drawings after the $350 mark to the $500 mark. This is possible especially with the sales patterns of lately. Time will tell but I believe it will happen in Mega Millions first or in a national lotter or international lottery if they ever get going on one again.

Brad

I think you dont understand how the cap rule works. If I remember reading the rule correctly on the old FAQ at the Powerball website (cant find it now) it said that once the jackpot reaches a new record the NEXT rollover will be capped at $25 million.

That's correct. The Powerball rollovers are not capped until the jackpot REACHES the new record.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                        Member #2338
                        September 17, 2003
                        2063 Posts
                        Posted: October 6, 2005, 1:48 am - IP Logged

Well we will have to wait until it hits the 340 mark to really see. I'd like to see powerball get there but judging from the recent rollovers it's going to take a while.

Sparta, NJ
                          United States
                          Member #18331
                          July 9, 2005
                          1977 Posts
                          Posted: October 6, 2005, 9:16 am - IP Logged

If every one has the same luck as I do, reaching $500M will not be a problem.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Morrison, IL
                            United States
                            Member #4657
                            May 13, 2004
                            1884 Posts
                            Posted: October 6, 2005, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

lol

United States
                              Member #16612
                              June 2, 2005
                              3493 Posts
                              Posted: October 6, 2005, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

I think it is possible. My vote was for yes and for MM in the future.