Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Question from a Newbie!!

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 11 years ago by MrBobb.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #22929
October 5, 2005
7 Posts
Posted: October 5, 2005, 8:54 am - IP Logged

I am a very casual (but consistant) player of the Powerball.  I keep one number running at all times. 

I have not read alot about the Lottery, but I have heard somewhere that you just can't go "pick up the check".    I have heard that most banks can't accept a check of that size. 

When a person wins $180M and takes the Cash Payout,  is there some procedure that you have to follow before you go to the State Office  to "get the money"???

atlanta
    United States
    Member #13754
    April 13, 2005
    53 Posts
    Posted: October 5, 2005, 8:58 am - IP Logged

your lawyer,cpa and the financial planner will know exactly how to handle it.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: October 5, 2005, 10:00 am - IP Logged

I am a very casual (but consistant) player of the Powerball.  I keep one number running at all times. 

I have not read alot about the Lottery, but I have heard somewhere that you just can't go "pick up the check".    I have heard that most banks can't accept a check of that size. 

When a person wins $180M and takes the Cash Payout,  is there some procedure that you have to follow before you go to the State Office  to "get the money"???

You apply for an American Express card and load the whole thing on there. I've had this conversation with a couple of friends of mine. They think I'm crazy.

The other solution is to build your own vault, with all the amenities.

United States
        Member #22929
        October 5, 2005
        7 Posts
        Posted: October 5, 2005, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Not that I will probably ever have to worry about having this problem,  but I was just wondering why no one has written a book about "handling the good fortune".    I know that things would vary from state to state, but the financial institution end of  it should be consistant (since it is federal).    I also wonder about why all those folks get their picture taken and their whole family's picture taken etc etc etc.  I would not want all that publicity. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19827 Posts
          Posted: October 5, 2005, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

Ihp1,

If you ever win a jackpot, you'll have a chance to make those choices, and if you want to make a little extra money you can write a book about your experiences.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

USA
            United States
            Member #1849
            July 15, 2003
            265 Posts
            Posted: October 5, 2005, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

No worries mate, you'll have plenty of money to learn where to put. Take a flight to Switzerland and open a swiss account. Believe me, we all want this problem. LOL. Cheers,

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
              Dump Water Florida
              United States
              Member #380
              June 5, 2002
              3103 Posts
              Posted: October 6, 2005, 2:58 am - IP Logged

What on earth makes you think your bank won't accept the deposit?  Did you ask them?  The transfer is electronic. The problem is your bank won't insure more then a tiny fraction of the amount and may give you some trouble as you begin to distribute the money in large chunks to investments outside their control.  You can learn more about this subject by renting DVD's of the Beverly Hillbillies, enjoy. BobP

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8361 Posts
                Posted: October 6, 2005, 3:19 am - IP Logged

you win that money you call me and for a small nominal fee i will show you how easy it is to get your check and make the deposit set up a porfolio and spend a million dollars all in one day.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                  Alabama
                  United States
                  Member #17830
                  June 27, 2005
                  309 Posts
                  Posted: October 6, 2005, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Here's an interesting article, written about 10 years ago, that has some good information:

"JACKPOT! - We should all be so lucky. But if it happened, would you be ready for the momentous life-change of winning a lottery?"

http://www.note.com/note/pp/jackpot.html