Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A Lotto Carolina? (my first post)

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #23019
October 6, 2005
3 Posts
Posted: October 6, 2005, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

First of all, this is my first post here, so hello to everyone; I have enjoyed getting news about lotteries, especially the upcoming North Carolina Education Lottery (that will be it's official name, by the way; the Lottery Commission met today).

I think that NC's lottery should give a little help to our fellow Carolinians in SC. 

I think that NC should be a member of MegaMillions.  It's the "big state" lottery, and North Carolina is a large state, so it would be a good fit.  South Carolinians could come up to play it when the jackpot is big, and we can do the same when the Powerball is up; it is probably more likely that we would attract SC players with MM than Virginia players with PB (I might be biased since I live closer to SC than to VA and would be able to play both games easily if NC got MM). 

Also, although I think that North Carolina could support its own lotto game, we should join with SC to start a "Lotto Carolina" 6/49 game similar to Lotto South.  SC would have a lotto game (which it will never be able to support on its own), there would be more NC (and SC) winners than if they were to join Lotto South, and the jackpots would be bigger than an NC Lotto. 

What are everyone's thoughts on this idea?  Would it be best if North Carolina did something like this?  Should it join Lotto South?  Should it go it alone?

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: October 6, 2005, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

I think it should go alone. It's definately big enough for even a 6/52 game, more or less a 6/49.

And you hit the nail on the head with Mega Millions. It's the big urban state lottery, and NC has some big urban areas (which will get bigger). Did you know that, according to Census projections, NC should become a top 10 state population-wise come 2025?

(insert signature here)

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: October 7, 2005, 9:46 am - IP Logged

I still think LS should continue, with NC joining it. As for a NC-SC game, 6/49 might be too small (it's definately so for LS).

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23277 Posts
        Posted: October 7, 2005, 9:57 am - IP Logged

Welcome to LP, glad you joined!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
          Member #5565
          July 11, 2004
          260 Posts
          Posted: October 7, 2005, 11:55 am - IP Logged

With Md, Va, NC, SC, and Ga considering their options for a pick-6 lottery, it would make entirely too much sense for the states to get together and reconsitute a Lotto South as a bigger lottery, say an Atlantic Coast Lottery, to rival the other lotteries.

United States
            Member #16612
            June 2, 2005
            3493 Posts
            Posted: October 8, 2005, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

I agree that NC should be playing MM on Tuesdays and Fridays. Then on Wednesdays and Saturdays, I think they should join Lotto South and increase the number of white balls from 49 to 54, but still 6 WB wins jackpot. If you include NC in the population pool of MM, what's the total population of all MM states?