Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Promotions

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 11 years ago by takeitez.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
Atlantic Mine, Michigan
United States
Member #416
June 23, 2002
1614 Posts
Posted: October 11, 2005, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

Have you guys seen all the promotion going on in the lottery world as of right now.  So many states are uping the ante.

PA:  Buy 5 PB tickets and PP get one free

NY:  Increased the payouts by 20% for their Daily 3 type game

GA:  October Specatular

Are they hurting that bad for sales or are they just in the mood to give away?

Brad

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: October 11, 2005, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Yea I hope they also up the ante on lucky for life soon. At least $5,000 a month for life. :)

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23259 Posts
      Posted: October 11, 2005, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

Have you guys seen all the promotion going on in the lottery world as of right now.  So many states are uping the ante.

Brad

Many states are reporting that increased gas prices have hurt sales.  So yes, they are hurting that bad.  They are recognizing that their fall sales period is going to be down from last year, and that looks very bad to the politicians in their state.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Sparta, NJ
        United States
        Member #18331
        July 9, 2005
        1977 Posts
        Posted: October 11, 2005, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

Brad

Many states are reporting that increased gas prices have hurt sales.  So yes, they are hurting that bad.  They are recognizing that their fall sales period is going to be down from last year, and that looks very bad to the politicians in their state.

I'm not convinced gas prices are hurting that bad. Most people buy locally, and gas has only been an issue for a short period. I'm inclined to believe that it is based on the amount of money available. Every one I know is worried about their future income at work. The numbers are being pushed that the economy is back, but the hiring is not. Layoffs are still happening in the thousands. Corporations are not upgrading equipment or software. Outsourcing is becoming more of an option. Fewer people working longer hours. Still no security. Every industry employee is being wacked.

I think people are thinking twice about spending several hundred dollars a year on a lottery system that is working against them. The lottery continues to increase the odds. The scratch offs are hitting less; read the back of cards - their odds are also increasing. People are becoming smarter, they are starting to realize $250M advertised is not $250M take home.  A lot of people have other things screaming for their money. Gas increases just happened recently, they weren't around until the hurricanes. The losses to the lottery have been increasing for a long time.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
          Magnolia, Delaware
          United States
          Member #18795
          July 20, 2005
          789 Posts
          Posted: October 11, 2005, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

Economics is the reasons for the increases in the prize amounts. The higher the top prize the more people will play! But we have to remember one thing! The states that run these game are not happy with the current sales figures, so they need to do something to bring up the revenue to the level they can live with! What this means is, they need more money to pay the state employees they have employed so they keep their current medical benefits without any more cost to them in the form of higher co-pays. And don't forget the top butt wipes need their big fat raises every year, while the little guy (piss ant) gets their wages cut! 

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: October 12, 2005, 1:48 am - IP Logged

Economics is the reasons for the increases in the prize amounts. The higher the top prize the more people will play! But we have to remember one thing! The states that run these game are not happy with the current sales figures, so they need to do something to bring up the revenue to the level they can live with! What this means is, they need more money to pay the state employees they have employed so they keep their current medical benefits without any more cost to them in the form of higher co-pays. And don't forget the top butt wipes need their big fat raises every year, while the little guy (piss ant) gets their wages cut! 

Whatever.  If the reasons they're doing it are those I hope they find some more so's to encourage the plague to spread to my own state.  To Powerball, for that matter.

Any port in a storm, amigo.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
              Member #2338
              September 17, 2003
              2063 Posts
              Posted: October 12, 2005, 1:58 am - IP Logged

My favorite promotion of all time was in WA state. For an extra buck you could double the jackpot. I don't remember if it doubled the other prizes but it would double the jackpot of Lotto if you played. The only major winner during the promotion won 10 million but didn't spend that extra buck to double his jackpot.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23259 Posts
                Posted: October 12, 2005, 7:11 am - IP Logged

Brad

I'm not convinced gas prices are hurting that bad. Most people buy locally, and gas has only been an issue for a short period. I'm inclined to believe that it is based on the amount of money available. Every one I know is worried about their future income at work. The numbers are being pushed that the economy is back, but the hiring is not. Layoffs are still happening in the thousands. Corporations are not upgrading equipment or software. Outsourcing is becoming more of an option. Fewer people working longer hours. Still no security. Every industry employee is being wacked.

I think people are thinking twice about spending several hundred dollars a year on a lottery system that is working against them. The lottery continues to increase the odds. The scratch offs are hitting less; read the back of cards - their odds are also increasing. People are becoming smarter, they are starting to realize $250M advertised is not $250M take home.  A lot of people have other things screaming for their money. Gas increases just happened recently, they weren't around until the hurricanes. The losses to the lottery have been increasing for a long time.

Let's just say we agree to disagree on this one.  I think the gas prices have had a lot of impact on several areas of the economy, because I believe it's a natural tendency to cut back in all areas of life when you start to realize that gas is at a premium.

Also, gas prices were going up long before the burricane season kicked in this year.  Gas prices first started the trend of increases last October, when prices hit $46/barrel.  There was a slight downward dip in December 2004, but then it's been going up ever since then.  This is not something started by hurricanes.  It is a mixture of factors that culminated in our dependency upon foreign energy sources.

Whether it's real or perception, I DO believe that gas prices area hurting that bad.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

takeitez's avatar - japheth
                  Carters Lake, Ga.
                  United States
                  Member #5313
                  June 29, 2004
                  1065 Posts
                  Posted: October 12, 2005, 7:39 am - IP Logged

I think a lot more people are waking up to the pc age. They know you can get a return of $150 for a $1 rather than $80 for a $1.

ez

No Pity!Guitar  Drum ........ in the long run........