Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 12:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Record Jackpots

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by weshar75.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #2338
September 17, 2003
2063 Posts
Posted: October 12, 2005, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

Record Jackpots of the World by cash prize (in millions of US dollars):

Rank:  Cash:      Annuity:    Date:                  Winning ticket purchaced in:    # winning tickets:  Game:

1.        180        363          May 9, 2002        IL, MI                                        2                            The Big Game (Mega Millions)

2.        176.7      331          April 16, 2002      GA, IL, NJ                                  3                            The Big Game (Mega Millions)

3.        170.5      314.9        Dec. 25, 2002      WV                                            1                            Powerball

4.        168.5      294          July 2, 2004        MA                                            1                            Mega Millions

5.        166        294.9        Aug. 25, 2001      DE, KY, NH, MN                          4                              Powerball

6.        161.5    295.7        July 29, 1998      IN                                              1                              Powerball

7.        156.1    258            Sept. 16, 2005    NJ                                              1                            Mega Millions

8.        147.2    261.3        July 9, 2003        MO, PA                                      2                            Powerball

9.        141.5    239            Feb. 20, 2004      VA                                              1                            Mega Millions

10.      136        N/A            July 29, 2005     UK                                             1                            Euro Millions

11.      125.3    220.3        May 28, 2005      ID                                              1                            Powerball

12.      124.7    208            Apr. 22, 2005      MI                                              1                            Mega Millions

13.      120.3    221.5        Dec. 31, 2003      SC, PA                                        2                            Powerball

14.      116.9    214.7        Oct. 9, 2004        DE                                            1                              Powerball

15.      112.8    183            June 20, 2003      MA                                            1                              Megamillions

16.      110.2    213.2        May 8, 2004        PA                                            1                            Powerball

17.      104.3    194.4        May 20, 1998       WI                                            1                            Powerball

18.      104        197            April 6, 1999        MA                                            1                            The Big Game (Mega Millions)

19.      99.5      190            Oct. 25, 2003      IN, MN                                      2                            Powerball

20.      96.5      193            Feb. 16, 2003      CA                                            3                              CA Super Lotto

List looks the way it does because there is no cut/paste with firefox on this page without causing a security problem. Thankfully the CA lottery will be removed from the list once someone wins the current Powerball Jackpot. It's next to impossible to find out how much the cash prize was for that game due to CA's very poor website and the only winner there is any record of chose the annuity as a testiment to his intellegence. Every other winner on this page (aside from the CA winners) chose the cash option. 

The prize in the CA lotto is 45-55% so I just chose the 50% mark. There is no record of how much the actual prize amout in cash would have been. In all cases the cash prize listed is the amout the winner actually picked up and not a projection. You can just tell me any errors on the list. In some cases it's off by a decimal point because news reporters from AP or CNN differred from what the official lottery sites were saying and I chose the offical sites over such reports. 

New Mexico
    United States
    Member #12305
    March 10, 2005
    2984 Posts
    Posted: October 12, 2005, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

Interesting list.  Considering how small they are it's surprising to see Maine and Delaware so well represented.  Nice seeing Missouri and Idaho getting a piece of the action, also.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: October 13, 2005, 1:26 am - IP Logged

Rip, MA is Massachusetts, not Maine.  Maine (ME) is not on the list.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #2338
        September 17, 2003
        2063 Posts
        Posted: October 13, 2005, 1:54 am - IP Logged

First drawing in Maine was 7/31/2004 so they didn't have a lot of time to get on that list. Maybe in the future with the current pot. Looks like the current pot is around the 9th biggest unless in rolls again on Saturday.

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: October 13, 2005, 8:45 am - IP Logged

Got me chuckling at meself.... Thanks.  Ah well, guess I won't begrudge Mass a few winners, having already put out the energy of a speck of gladness for some rurals north of them.  Maybe Maine folks, some of them, buy tickets in Mass sometimes.

Gracias,

Jack

Egos don't count.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #2338
            September 17, 2003
            2063 Posts
            Posted: October 13, 2005, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

The New Hampshire winner in the 5th biggest pot came from Maine but I only listed where the tickets were purchased not where the winner was actually from. Just like the 6th biggest pot went to a group in Ohio but it was bought in Indiana.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
              Mcminnville, Oregon
              United States
              Member #3013
              December 13, 2003
              3090 Posts
              Posted: October 13, 2005, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

It has almost been three years since the last $300 million jackpot.  I wonder if saturday's pot will go up to the $300 million mark. 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: October 13, 2005, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

I'll redo the list once someone wins the current Powerball. For instance the date for the biggest jackpot was 2000 not 2002. So I will recheck everything again. The cash amounts should be accurate but I'll have to recheck the dates and winning locations. In some cases even state lottery sites got it wrong. I saw a list with Maine as a winning Powerball location before they had it in 7/2004.

United States
                  Member #16612
                  June 2, 2005
                  3493 Posts
                  Posted: October 14, 2005, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

dvdiva, I think PB, MM, and Euro Millions will fight it out to see which one will have the largest jackpot in North American history. I think people are shying away from CA SLP when they entered MM.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                    Member #2338
                    September 17, 2003
                    2063 Posts
                    Posted: October 16, 2005, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Looks like those who doubted my prediction on the cap were wrong. The 164.4 is a hard cap irregardless of sales. Welcome to the MUSL morons. The pot will only grow at 12 million per roll from here until someone wins. Currently the pot is the 5th largest and if it rolls then it will be the 3rd largest.

Morrison, IL
                      United States
                      Member #4657
                      May 13, 2004
                      1884 Posts
                      Posted: October 16, 2005, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

Instead of instituting the cap on a record Powerball jackpot, they should at least not institute the cap until the jackpot reaches the North American record of $363 million.

New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #21206
                        September 4, 2005
                        949 Posts
                        Posted: October 17, 2005, 9:51 am - IP Logged

This is interesting information DVDiva.  Thanks for it.  I'll bet everyone of those winners on the list was thrilled, with the possible exception of Jack, who destroyed his life.

I think no one recalls who any of these winners are, which is probably very good for the winners.

New Mexico
                          United States
                          Member #12305
                          March 10, 2005
                          2984 Posts
                          Posted: October 17, 2005, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

So, when the cap kicks in does the extra money just go down as windfall profit for Powerball and the states, or is it rolled into some kind of lower tier prize scheme?

Jack

Egos don't count.

New Mexico
                            United States
                            Member #12305
                            March 10, 2005
                            2984 Posts
                            Posted: October 17, 2005, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

This is interesting information DVDiva.  Thanks for it.  I'll bet everyone of those winners on the list was thrilled, with the possible exception of Jack, who destroyed his life.

I think no one recalls who any of these winners are, which is probably very good for the winners.

I'll bet even old Jack was thrilled.  Likely he's smart enough to realize if his life's been destroyed, which is arguable, that it wasn't the result of winning a jackpot.

Lots of what happened to him stood a middling chance of happening without winning a jackpot, and does to hoards of folks who didn't.

On the other hand, life tends to keep on being lived after a series of tragedies and even going broke, which puts a heavy burden on the concept of 'life being destroyed'.  Short of a flatline brain, zero pulse and starting to stink life is fairly hardy in the 'destroyed' department.

J

Egos don't count.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                              Mcminnville, Oregon
                              United States
                              Member #3013
                              December 13, 2003
                              3090 Posts
                              Posted: October 17, 2005, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

So, when the cap kicks in does the extra money just go down as windfall profit for Powerball and the states, or is it rolled into some kind of lower tier prize scheme?

Jack

It goes it to a lower tier prize pool called match 5 bonus and the 5+0 winners split the prize pool when their is a 5+1 winner or winners.