Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 6:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

would you take cash or payments on the PB

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
Magnolia, Delaware
United States
Member #18795
July 20, 2005
789 Posts
Posted: October 14, 2005, 9:05 am - IP Logged

Theres no way to pay just one time and be done with it. Cause your taxed on that money every year you have it. <<< "Wrong" You can not be taxed twice on that money, just your additional 13 % in taxes you will owe by April 15 for that tax year!

And if you make money with the money. They want some of that too.<< Correct 

Only if you make money with it (investments or interest) on said money!Then you owe more taxes!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Shawnintennesse's avatar - British Pint_414_.jpg
    Springfield,Ohio
    United States
    Member #14006
    April 19, 2005
    3972 Posts
    Posted: October 14, 2005, 9:08 am - IP Logged

Theres no way to pay just one time and be done with it. Cause your taxed on that money every year you have it. <<< "Wrong" You can not be taxed twice on that money, just your additional 13 % in taxes you will owe by April 15 for that tax year!

And if you make money with the money. They want some of that too.<< Correct 

Only if you make money with it (investments or interest) on said money!Then you owe more taxes!

What you just said was wrong is right... I also stated your taxed every year you have it..

If your taxed 13% on it. Then your taxed more than once on that money...

If it weren't for Vtracs and STXS where would we be?

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
      PA
      United States
      Member #22983
      October 6, 2005
      2226 Posts
      Posted: October 14, 2005, 9:09 am - IP Logged

Nonetheless, the IRS never has to play the lottery....they win every time someone else does! Lol.

PA
        United States
        Member #22983
        October 6, 2005
        2226 Posts
        Posted: October 14, 2005, 9:14 am - IP Logged

With all these high percentage taxes, how long until your windfall dwindles down to practically nothing? I would definitely be talking with a team of advisers...for awhile. Also what is the highest non taxable interest investments out there? U.S. Treasury bonds?

Magnolia, Delaware
          United States
          Member #18795
          July 20, 2005
          789 Posts
          Posted: October 14, 2005, 10:52 am - IP Logged
          I also stated your taxed every year you have it.. <<< "Wrong" You can't be by the IRS! Lets say I have all that money in a "safe deposit box!" How in Gods name is the IRS going to tax it? They can't! Because I already paid all of the tax on it and put it away as not to earn any dividends! That makes that money non-taxable! Money that has been taxed before that now doesn't earn any dividends/interest can't be taxed again! Heck stick the freaking money in a mattress or in the walls of your home and you tell me how it's going to be taxed again by the IRS!

If your taxed 13% on it. Then your taxed more than once on that money << "Wrong again" Look Uncle Sam gets the bulk of his money (25%)  upfront right off the top! That's just to make sure he's getting the majority (2/3) of his money now! It's Called Insurance!2/3's of something is better than nothing! Now, lets say someone decided to wire their money to a bank in another country and they follow shortly after that without paying the additional 13% that's owed! Do you really think Uncle Sam is going to care to much? I think not, because he already received the bulk of his money from them before they even received one penny of their winnings! If someone was to do something like that, I wouldn't come back to the United States, if I was them!

So the additional (<keyword)13% is what he didn't take the first time! That's all, nothing more! It's not being taxed a second time!

PA
            United States
            Member #22983
            October 6, 2005
            2226 Posts
            Posted: October 14, 2005, 11:32 am - IP Logged

So are you saying that as long as your principle is not accumulating interest, you will never pay taxes on it again? I know I would never use all the principle regardless, but I would most likely want my money to earn interest over time. Heck one could spend hundreds of thousands of their principle a year and never run out anyway, but that would be eating away at it unnecessarily. I was hoping that the interest acquired would cancel out the majority of the tax costs, even if the interest is taxed. I would need some professionals to tell me all the exact figures, then go from there.

Greenwich, CT
              United States
              Member #4793
              May 24, 2004
              1822 Posts
              Posted: October 14, 2005, 11:37 am - IP Logged

It's called Income Tax for a reason.  As long as the money is not incoming that year, yer not gonna get taxed on it.

Magnolia, Delaware
                United States
                Member #18795
                July 20, 2005
                789 Posts
                Posted: October 14, 2005, 11:48 am - IP Logged

That is 100% Correct Jag331!    No Income, No Tax!    No Interest, No Tax!

No Dividends, No Tax!    No Capital Gains, No Tax!

PA
                  United States
                  Member #22983
                  October 6, 2005
                  2226 Posts
                  Posted: October 14, 2005, 11:55 am - IP Logged

What about taking the 100 million and putting it into 'tax-free municipal bonds' at a rate between 4 and 5%?  Would that be around $4,000,000 a year tax-free income and never have to touch the principal?

Magnolia, Delaware
                    United States
                    Member #18795
                    July 20, 2005
                    789 Posts
                    Posted: October 14, 2005, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

Remember the "tax-free municipal bonds" only mature in the time stated (3 or 5 years) and the interest is paid at the end of that time. So the 4-5% is per-year, but it's compounded. It all depends on the municipal bonds you buy!

Morrison, IL
                      United States
                      Member #4657
                      May 13, 2004
                      1884 Posts
                      Posted: October 14, 2005, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Dammit.  They need to make tax-free perpetual bonds.

United States
                        Member #16612
                        June 2, 2005
                        3493 Posts
                        Posted: October 14, 2005, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

I would take cash value no matter if I play MM, PB, or CA SLP. People will get lots of money taken away by Uncle Sam if they take payments.

United States
                          Member #5565
                          July 11, 2004
                          260 Posts
                          Posted: October 14, 2005, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Interest on munis are subject to the federal alternative minimum tax, the state income tax, and any local taxes on income.

Why obsess on this topic unless you win?  Also, you're likely to get hit with the top marginal tax rate regardless of whether you pick cash or annuity with the prizes in the Powerball and the MegaMillions.  Lump sum is the simple answer.

Sparta, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #18331
                            July 9, 2005
                            1977 Posts
                            Posted: October 14, 2005, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

Why would some one win $140M and put it in a safe box some where? To avoid taxes? Don't spend the original dollar (or two on PP) and save the temptation to open the box! Give me a $140M, and uncle can have his taxes. Him and my lawyers and accountants can argue about the percise amount.

When the snow falls this year, I wouldn't be where the snow falls. That's all that would matter.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Magnolia, Delaware
                              United States
                              Member #18795
                              July 20, 2005
                              789 Posts
                              Posted: October 14, 2005, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

Chewie, get with the program! It was only meant as an example for Shawnintennesse's comment "I also stated your taxed every year you have it.."

I know I wouldn't do such thing! And I will keep Uncle Sam's hands out of my pocket as much as possible if I win! Yes, he'll get his share on the lump sum payout and April 15, but after that he'll play hell getting any more from me at tax time (all legally of course)!