Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 4:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

OM GOSH!!

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 11 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
hernando, fl
United States
Member #23083
October 7, 2005
3 Posts
Posted: October 13, 2005, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

Well , I just found out that the man who told 10 girls at the wing house that he was buying them each a car because he had won the 35 million lottery is MIA. He put some money down on these cars for 1o girls ,this is not disputed,however , the dealewrships cannot locate this man now to get the wire transfers of money as he promised.

So , the thing is it was very NICE of him to do this for the little waitresses at the WING HOUSE in NEW PORT RICHEY ,however to back out of the deal after these little girls have been told to pick out the car they want is just plain RUDE.

He should never have made such a gesture if he couldn't follow through with it.

Shame on this man!

New Mexico
    United States
    Member #12305
    March 10, 2005
    2984 Posts
    Posted: October 13, 2005, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

They're tipping higher these days.  Used to be 10 percent of the price of the meal was considered right.  Then 15 percent.

But this has me eating at home.  Can't afford that kind tipping.

J

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Debzo's avatar - disney29

United States
      Member #4822
      May 26, 2004
      62 Posts
      Posted: October 14, 2005, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

If he promised them the car's, then they should get them

Roll Eyes

Follow your dreamsCoffee

Sparta, NJ
        United States
        Member #18331
        July 9, 2005
        1977 Posts
        Posted: October 14, 2005, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

Ethics have changed. Promises are no longer commitments. Read your medical insurance policy. If it ain't in writing, it never happened.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19894 Posts
          Posted: October 14, 2005, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

Even some things in writing aren't worth the paper they're written on.  When Oprah Winfrey gave all those new cars away, she didn't pay for them using her money and she's worth a lot more than that lottery winner.  The women who received those cars found out they had to pay all the taxes plus the cars increased their taxable income for the year.  Some of them said they didn't make enough to afford a free car.  Some times reality is rude.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
            Magnolia, Delaware
            United States
            Member #18795
            July 20, 2005
            789 Posts
            Posted: October 14, 2005, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

No RJOh, you have it all wrong (the tax part). Our Government is the one to blame for those people not being able to keep those cars! Over taxation (the gift taxes)! Gift taxes can amount up to 50% of the gift! Now that is bad! I can see 200,000.00 or 300,000.00 being taxed at 50% but anything less should be taxed at the rate of 10 - 15%.

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1884 Posts
              Posted: October 14, 2005, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

Um, if it were the gift tax, then Oprah would have been the one paying, not the recipients of the cars, and the cars would not have been taxable income to the recipients.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19894 Posts
                Posted: October 14, 2005, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

No RJOh, you have it all wrong (the tax part). Our Government is the one to blame for those people not being able to keep those cars! Over taxation (the gift taxes)! Gift taxes can amount up to 50% of the gift! Now that is bad! I can see 200,000.00 or 300,000.00 being taxed at 50% but anything less should be taxed at the rate of 10 - 15%.

My point was winning a $35M lottery jackpot doesn't allow the winner to buy a bunch of new cars and give them away to strangers once reality sets in if he's looking out for himself and his immediate family.  You can blame anyone you want but that does not change the facts and taxes are a part of that reality. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                  Member #12618
                  March 18, 2005
                  2060 Posts
                  Posted: October 14, 2005, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

I think it's fine he's looking out for himself and his family, but he also shouldn't have told people he was going to buy them a car in the first place. It makes him look bad when he doesn't go through with it. He should of just kept his mouth shut.

Dance like no one is watching.

New Mexico
                    United States
                    Member #12305
                    March 10, 2005
                    2984 Posts
                    Posted: October 14, 2005, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

I think it's fine he's looking out for himself and his family, but he also shouldn't have told people he was going to buy them a car in the first place. It makes him look bad when he doesn't go through with it. He should of just kept his mouth shut.

The service was particularly good that morning.  He lost himself in his full belly, waited on hand and foot, got carried away.  Once the warm red glow of digestion took care of things he recovered his wits.

Yeah he shouldn't have.  Yeah, the waitresses would have preferred he keep his promise.  Yeah, he broke it as a practical matter.  The money meant more to him than his word, which if you travel around the sun enough times, you'll discover is a common trait among humans.  You might even encounter it in yourself, or in people dear to you.

Human flaw, but nothing to get excited about in this case.  Those waitresses had no business being handed new automobiles by a stranger, had no reason to expect anything but what happened.

When someone hands you a check you didn't earn it's always a good idea to try to beat it to the bank.

Jack

Egos don't count.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                      Member #12618
                      March 18, 2005
                      2060 Posts
                      Posted: October 14, 2005, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

Human flaw, but nothing to get excited about in this case.  Those waitresses had no business being handed new automobiles by a stranger, had no reason to expect anything but what happened.

When someone hands you a check you didn't earn it's always a good idea to try to beat it to the bank.

I agree Jack. I'm not saying they deserved the money, nor should they expect it, but even in the excitement of it all, it's best to keep your mouth shut. Whose to say that these women don't sue him because he "promised" them these vehicles in front of a bunch of people. It seems that you can run into problems making promises you don't intend to keep.

Dance like no one is watching.

New Mexico
                        United States
                        Member #12305
                        March 10, 2005
                        2984 Posts
                        Posted: October 14, 2005, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

True.  They might sue him, might collect.  I don't disagree with you.  But maybe the guy preferred to be seen as 'understandably' dishonest than to appear a bigger fool than he'd already demonstrated himself to be.

Fact is, there's no figuring what motivates people once they reach a borderline behavior mode, illustrated by his when he promised the cars.  I  think if I'd been those ladies I'd have hit him for something solid, right on the spot once he made the promise..... something in writing, such as a check or a promisory note.

Or just recognized the guy was a fool of a show-off and let the matter drop.  For that matter, they could have all avoided the gift tax by agreeing to paint his house for $20 K, or polish his shoes for 20 years payable in advance.  Be his bodyguard, his chooooooofeur, his mechanic.  But unless they get an awfully friendly jury, or he has a particularly inept legal counsel, they ladies aren't going to see much out of it.

Jack

Egos don't count.

new delhi
                          India
                          Member #22145
                          September 20, 2005
                          174 Posts
                          Posted: October 14, 2005, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

he should have put his money where his mouth was!!

New Mexico
                            United States
                            Member #12305
                            March 10, 2005
                            2984 Posts
                            Posted: October 14, 2005, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

We all should, shalini.  But mostly we don't.

Jack

Egos don't count.

new delhi
                              India
                              Member #22145
                              September 20, 2005
                              174 Posts
                              Posted: October 14, 2005, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

hi Jack...its early morning here and I see the PB has gone upto to 300 million...................you guys are probably about to turn in for the night...I'm just waiting for the MM result...its still friday there .........

hope one of the LP members wins big.