Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Buy every ticket?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 11 years ago by anonymous77.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Herndon, VA
United States
Member #22340
September 23, 2005
22 Posts
Posted: October 16, 2005, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

Do they have a rule saying that you can't purchase every possible ticket combination?  Because right now the odds of winning are 1 in 146,107,962, so if you bought all 146,107,962 tickets for 1 dollar each, you would win $164,400,000, which is a profit of $18,292,038.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
    Member #12618
    March 18, 2005
    2060 Posts
    Posted: October 16, 2005, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

But it would probably be impossible to have the time to print out every combination. I'm not sure, but I swear I read that somewhere.

Dance like no one is watching.

JAP69's avatar - alas
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #6
      November 4, 2001
      8790 Posts
      Posted: October 16, 2005, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

If my calculations are correct.

To do one combination per minute it would take you 278 years to have all the combinations filled out give or take a few days.

WHATT

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19817 Posts
        Posted: October 16, 2005, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

That was tried successfully a few years ago by a group in Virgina.  The group preprinted their tickets, tied up 3 terminals for 3-4 days and only managed to buy 80% of 10M or so combinations.  After that Virgina and other state changed the rules so no one person/group can control a terminal more than 15 minutes as a time. With that many combination, you would need more 4000 hrs of terminal time to play 2 cards per seconds with 5 combinations per cards.  Some states even have a rule that the cards have to be made out by hand.  Good luck on finding that many cards to fill out.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #1340
          April 6, 2003
          2450 Posts
          Posted: October 16, 2005, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

that will be the time that 2 or more winners come forward, thus negating the advantage.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19817 Posts
            Posted: October 16, 2005, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

A few years ago, there was a company in Canada that had a proprietary system they claimed could cover all the mostly likely combinations with only 3% of the possible combinations.  They didn't offer the system for sale but offered expensive memberships in one of their lottery pools for a series of Canadian 649 drawings .  I haven't  read anything about them lately so either they went out of business or they were so successful they aren't seeking new members.

When I looked at the last PB winning numbers 01-07-08-34-45 +15, that was the first time 08 had not been the lowest or second lowest number in 316 drawings and I have to wonder if their system would have included that combination.

I'm going to try to pick 30 of those combinations for Wednesday drawing.

Evil Looking       

Fantasy Land
              United States
              Member #7297
              September 29, 2004
              80 Posts
              Posted: October 16, 2005, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

Taxes already negate any advantage. The jackpot would need to really grow before the scheme payed off. And with the cap on jackpots when a new record is hit it would have to roll quite a few times to get there. By then ticket sales should surpass the number of possible combinations of numbers drawn which would mean the chances of a split jackpot would be quite high.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19817 Posts
                Posted: October 16, 2005, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

If the scheme worked, the cost of the tickets can be deducted from their winnings.  That's true for all lottery winnings, it's just that most people spend a lot more than they ever win and can only deduct up to the amount of their winnings.  If those loses don't amount to more than the standard deductions for lost then they can't deduct anything.

Evil Looking       

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1884 Posts
                  Posted: October 16, 2005, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, trying to buy every possible combination is not a good idea, simply because of the possibility of PB selling another winning ticket.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                    Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #1340
                    April 6, 2003
                    2450 Posts
                    Posted: October 16, 2005, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

ever since swearingoff of trying to create systems and adopting a strategy similar to VisionDude's (one QP... I opt for the powerplay, not sure about vision's views on powering up), I wait in long lines to play my one ticket... feeling like charlie bucket in willy wonka's chocolate factory.  "only one?"

yes, only one... regardless of PA's october PP special (buy 5 pp tix get one free). I am far less dissapointed throwing away one losing ticket than 5 or 10. and because it's a QP,I no longer blame myself and my questionable excel skillz for the loss.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                      A long and winding road
                      United States
                      Member #17084
                      June 10, 2005
                      4523 Posts
                      Posted: October 16, 2005, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

hypersoniq- Thanks for giving a different outlook when the computer is held accountable for the random numbers. It makes it easier now when I lose based on it being a QP.

Still I wish someone could formulate how many winners chose the QP option and won that way , verses those that won from picking certain numbers themselves. Or how much they spent. Ive yet to have that *moment* where I just non-chalantly go out for milk and fuel and get the *last* minute urge to plop down a few bucks on QP combos only to win a few days later! Maybe Im too methodical and like to think that my number choice will someday pay out...

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Stars's avatar - basket
                        Englewood, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #1994
                        August 5, 2003
                        31 Posts
                        Posted: October 17, 2005, 12:16 am - IP Logged

The only way to loose is if the jackpot was split with another person(s).

Don't forget all the lower tier winnings prizes.  It would be 41 second prizes worth $8.2 million plus the bonus pool money worth many millions more (you would have about 60% (you would have 41 tickets against roughly 25 other bonus pool winners)) of the pool right now, which would be much higher than the posted $13 million (you would have added more than $145 million to their sales projection).

You would have over 3 million of the powerball only prize worth $3 each.  That is if they do not pari-mutual the prizes.

It's been many years since I had a math class in school, but maybe I'll figure the gain...

Yes I do realize that it would be nearly impossible to do...

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
                          Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #416
                          June 23, 2002
                          1614 Posts
                          Posted: October 17, 2005, 12:19 am - IP Logged

Yeah I agree....all the small amounts would be such a huge amount that it would probably work.  But buying that many tickets would be a huge team effort.  And a large bank roll to do it with.

Brad

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19817 Posts
                            Posted: October 17, 2005, 12:33 am - IP Logged

FYI of the 146,107,962 possible PB combinations the number of winning combinations are:
                            5/5 +1 = 1
                            5/5 +0 = 41
                            4/5 +1 = 250
                            4/5 +0 = 10,250
                            3/5 +1 = 12,250
                            3/5 +0 = 502,250
                            2/5 +1 = 196,000
                            1/5 +1 = 1,151,500
                            0/5 +1 = 2,118,760
                            Total winning combinations = 3,991,302

Evil Looking       

Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
                              Riverside, Ca
                              United States
                              Member #21722
                              September 14, 2005
                              173 Posts
                              Posted: October 17, 2005, 12:45 am - IP Logged

why would you try to buy all the combinations? all it takes is one to win