Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

400,000 Posts - 25,000 Members

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 11 years ago by starchild_45.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Greenwich, CT
United States
Member #4793
May 24, 2004
1822 Posts
Posted: October 25, 2005, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

What a great day at the LP!!

Party

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23273 Posts
    Posted: October 25, 2005, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

Wow, that is a lot, I didn't realize we had hit those milestones!  Someday I'm going to put together some kind of chart showing growth over time.  I will be very interesting to see graphically how the growth of Lottery Post feed on itself, as word spreads of everything that is available to lottery players.

There is another very unique thing about the 400,000-post milestone, and that is just the fact that all 400,000 posts -- the entire history of topic threads -- is available online, with no archiving.  That is a very rare thing among all Internet forum web sites, because most forums run out of stream well before that number of posts is reached.  I invested a great deal of money in the technology that drives Lottery Post, and that technology is what allows people to browse and search through half a million different posts.  That is no small feat.

What's better is that on November 7th, Microsoft is releasing their latest version of SQL Server, called SQL Server 2005, and I will be upgrading the Lottery Post database server soon after it is released.  That new version is going to offer much better storage and searching options, allowing me to create a much improved search page.

I've been waiting patiently for SQL Server 2005 to be released for over a year now, and it's almost here.  Then it will take a few weeks to get it going, but that's the fun part for a developer.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Sparta, NJ
      United States
      Member #18331
      July 9, 2005
      1977 Posts
      Posted: October 25, 2005, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

What's better is that on November 7th, Microsoft is releasing their latest version of SQL Server, called SQL Server 2005

Leave it to MS to release something named 2005 in November - just in time for Christmas.

The data guys are waiting for Service Pack I, to see what they screwed up.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23273 Posts
        Posted: October 25, 2005, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

ALL programs have bugs, but people like to pick on Microsoft for some reason.  I personally think Microsoft products are the absolute best, and I base everything here 100% on Microsoft server products.

I have no problem with "2005", since it is, in fact, 2005.

The dirty little secret is that UNIX, Linux, and all the variants have all the same, and much worse, bugs and problems that Microsoft products have, and in addition they are much harder to use.

Now I'll probably have some Linux aficionados telling me how wrong I am...

starchild_45's avatar - spherewall2
          kent, washington
          United States
          Member #3509
          January 26, 2004
          465 Posts
          Posted: October 25, 2005, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

i know i am real small potatoes compared to 400,000 posts. i would be nothing without this site. i was wondering if the views for my blog hit a certain milestone. i could make a big to do about it. i was just wondering if that was possible. if not could i tell which member viewed my blog. i have a blog and it is getting up there. probably not the most popular but it got me watching the views climb. i just would like to get maybe a 25.00 gift certificate to the lucky person to hit that milestone.

i just want to give something back for those who read my blog. just a thought.

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23273 Posts
            Posted: October 25, 2005, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

i know i am real small potatoes compared to 400,000 posts. i would be nothing without this site. i was wondering if the views for my blog hit a certain milestone. i could make a big to do about it. i was just wondering if that was possible. if not could i tell which member viewed my blog. i have a blog and it is getting up there. probably not the most popular but it got me watching the views climb. i just would like to get maybe a 25.00 gift certificate to the lucky person to hit that milestone.

You are certainly free to make a big deal about your number of views and/or number of posts in your blog!  It's your blog, and you're free to show your pride in it.  The only thing I can think of that you can track by person's name in your blog is comments (you can obviously see who commented in your blog).  Lottery Post currently does not track who actually incremented the view counter, it only knows the raw number of views.  (Incidently, the blog view counter only goes up by one for OTHER people viewing your blog; when you personally view your own blog it does not change.)

DirtyWrat's avatar - dirty rat_3051bs_mor.jpg
              Darlington, S.C.
              United States
              Member #3691
              February 12, 2004
              133 Posts
              Posted: October 25, 2005, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

This is an excellent site and Todd does an outstanding job as webmaster, but your comment that you would be "nothing" without this site is disturbing.

I think it may be wise to expand your horizons.

With the lottery I get all the exercise I need.

In futility.

kent, washington
                United States
                Member #3509
                January 26, 2004
                465 Posts
                Posted: October 25, 2005, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

This is an excellent site and Todd does an outstanding job as webmaster, but your comment that you would be "nothing" without this site is disturbing.

oh come on. i mean if there was no site here and i couldn't have a blog here. i was trying to compliment the host of the site and show him how much i appreciate what he does. i have a high esteem of myself.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                  Charlotte NC
                  United States
                  Member #17406
                  June 18, 2005
                  4053 Posts
                  Posted: October 25, 2005, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

HyperMicrosoft is releasing a new OS called VISTA IN 2006.  It's suppose to work better for developers.

takeemtothebank

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23273 Posts
                    Posted: October 25, 2005, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

HyperMicrosoft is releasing a new OS called VISTA IN 2006.  It's suppose to work better for developers.

Vista is the successor to Windows XP, and is a mainstream desktop operating system.  So it will be used by every type of user.  SQL Server 2005, and other new server products that Microsoft is coming out with in November are solely used by developers and systems engineers.  Microsoft also has a new version of Windows Server 2003 coming out I believe late next year, and they have yet to give that server product a name.  That will also be strictly a developer and systems engineer product.

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23273 Posts
                      Posted: October 25, 2005, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

oh come on. i mean if there was no site here and i couldn't have a blog here. i was trying to compliment the host of the site and show him how much i appreciate what he does. i have a high esteem of myself.

I really appreciate your sentiment, it means a lot!

Columbia City, Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #2978
                        December 9, 2003
                        381 Posts
                        Posted: October 25, 2005, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

On a more selfish, though certainly relevant note, I'd like to point out that while these numbers are undeniably impressive, we still have only 2092 signatures on the petition for a federal ban on computerized lottery drawings. That's not even ten percent of LP's membership, and the petition has been posted for a year now.

At this rate, by the time we have enough signatures to take the petition to congress (2 1/2 years), most lotteries will have already made the switch, as these invisible cheat machines are becoming more and more popular with state lotteries who feel that $80,000.00 is too much to expend for a measly half-billion-dollar annual return.

Come on, folks - get with the program and sign the petition. Your state might be next, and you won't even know it until it's too late. 

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

kent, washington
                          United States
                          Member #3509
                          January 26, 2004
                          465 Posts
                          Posted: October 25, 2005, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

I really appreciate your sentiment, it means a lot!

not a problem. you deserve it for all you do. when i get some more cash coming in my household i am going to up my membership.