Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ghost numbers in the search results...etc

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
Stone Mountain*Georgia
United States
Member #828
November 2, 2002
10491 Posts
Posted: October 26, 2005, 9:13 am - IP Logged

When doing research on Trips (other stats as well using All States) over a long period of time I kept getting readings and results that I didn't understand. This was because of the Tri states and Iowa. Going back over a year or more to pull these out was harsh.

Would it be possible to have Tri states listed as one hit on a number and ILL as one hit as well. Over time... it really does skew the numbers. As it is now when ILL and tri-state both get a triple..... we get an extra 4 trips in the results each time that happens.  

One State...One Vote so to speak.

This would be a big help if it's not to much trouble to fix.  As time goes by it seems we need closer and closer data results.  

Thanks 

The only real failure .....is the failure to try.                               

Luck is a very rare thing....... Odds not so much. 

Odds never change .....but probability does. 

Win d    

Sandy K's avatar - graphic pub.jpg
    Clarkston, Michigan
    United States
    Member #76
    January 6, 2002
    8528 Posts
    Posted: October 26, 2005, 9:43 am - IP Logged

I agree Todd....Iowa and Illinois are the same.....and it records 2 hits......screws up the stats...same thing with the Tri-states..............

Sandy

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23259 Posts
      Posted: October 26, 2005, 10:05 am - IP Logged

When you search on past results using the Results Search Engine, it DOES NOT show results more than once.  For example, if you click this link, it will search for all triples in the past 30 days.  Note on the first page of results you will see Tri-State Pick 3, and it's only listed once.

So where is it showing more than once?  (Please post a link, like I did above.)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
        Stone Mountain*Georgia
        United States
        Member #828
        November 2, 2002
        10491 Posts
        Posted: October 26, 2005, 11:13 am - IP Logged
        Tue, Sep 6, 2005GeorgiaMidday 30-0-0
        Sun, Sep 4, 2005IllinoisDaily 39-9-9
        Sun, Sep 4, 2005IowaPick 39-9-9
        Fri, Sep 2, 2005New JerseyPick 38-8-8
        Thu, Sep 1, 2005MichiganMidday 36-6-6
        Mon, Aug 29, 2005New JerseyPick 38-8-8
        Mon, Aug 29, 2005OhioPick 31-1-1
        Sat, Aug 27, 2005New MexicoPick 36-6-6
        Mon, Aug 22, 2005New YorkNumbers3-3-3
        Sun, Aug 21, 2005Washington, D.C.Lucky Numbers8-8-8
        Fri, Aug 19, 2005Multi-StateTri-State Pick 38-8-8
        Mon, Aug 15, 2005CaliforniaMidday 32-2-2

I have been subtacting Iowa and the 3 tri states......for each ILL and Tri state hit seen .

Same as on All states results numbers page each day.

Win d    

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23259 Posts
          Posted: October 26, 2005, 11:27 am - IP Logged

Win D,

The Tri-state results come out only one time, as it is a true multi-state game.  However, Illinois and Iowa are two separate games that share a common result.  It is not a multi-state game, even if they share the same number.

You had two parts to your original question, and one of them implied that the Tri-State results were shown more than one time.  They are not.

To the second part, the Iowa/Illinois results, that is something that you're going to have to filter out when you do your analysis.

When I built the prediction system, every single member of Lottery Post had input into how the results and predictions were going to work.  We all collectively decided to treat Illinois and Iowa as two different results, because it would be extremely unfair if someone were to post predictions for both states (and incur the simulated costs of doing so), and were not to receive credit for both hits.

Besides, someone doing data analysis could see things the exact opposite of how you are doing your analysis.  Because the two states use the same results for Pick 3, it is entirely logical to double-weight the results, treating them as two individual state results.  Especially for people who predict all states, or who play all states through an online web site.

So I suppose this answer is a good news-bad news thing for you.  At least the Tri-State numbers are shown as you prefer.

WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
            Stone Mountain*Georgia
            United States
            Member #828
            November 2, 2002
            10491 Posts
            Posted: October 26, 2005, 11:59 am - IP Logged

I've been around a long time and I dont remember the polll.  I guess all the people from Iowa have a lobby or something and jammed it through committee when the rest of us were out to lunch. LOL

As far as double weighting the results .. When you do an inquire on All States Triples over the last year and get back the answer as say Total 98. How would you know how many of those were from ILL and how many to double weight? Easily 

You mentioned that at least the Tri states are listed as I prefer and thats good. Using the same well founded logic that prompted that decision .....couldn't we also apply that to the results page each day for all states? ILL as well ...at least on the all states inquiries.

If not ... it's really isn't that big a deal. This isn't Medical research or anything critical or lastingly meaningful to mankind.  I can always go fishing.    

question.  Did we always have the "last digit sums" or as I called them originally "Short sums" in the features? Thanks 

Win d    

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23259 Posts
              Posted: October 26, 2005, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

I'll answer each of your questions within your message text:

I've been around a long time and I dont remember the polll.  I guess all the people from Iowa have a lobby or something and jammed it through committee when the rest of us were out to lunch. LOL  Yes, there were several discussions on this.  I don't know if you were aound at that time or not, but there were in fact several of them, and if you're interested in researching things, all discussions are still online.  When you say "the rest of us" were out to lunch, I don't think you should think that everyone shares your view, because your view was the minority view at the time.  I take it that "LOL" in this case means that you are joking about some kind of "Iowa Lobby".  It was a very serious discussion, and I take this topic seriously, so you won't see any "LOLs" from me on this.  I purposely did not make all the decisions myself, specifically so I could avoid having people come to me years after things were setup, saying that the system was setup wrong.  I believe that every system has compromises, but Lottery Post's is the best because it was created based on the consensus of experienced, serious lottery players.

As far as double weighting the results .. When you do an inquire on All States Triples over the last year and get back the answer as say Total 98. How would you know how many of those were from ILL and how many to double weight? Easily  Copy the data into Excel and filter out the Illinois or Iowa results.  Quite a simple proposition in Excel, and any lottery player who is not using Excel to analyze their numbers should seriously consider using it.  I would use Excel for ANY custom analysis, not just your particular situation.  You can't expect any software, whether it's Lottery Post or any other software package, to do everything for you.  All good results require effort.

You mentioned that at least the Tri states are listed as I prefer and thats good. Using the same well founded logic that prompted that decision .....couldn't we also apply that to the results page each day for all states? ILL as well ...at least on the all states inquiries. As I menioned, Illinois and Iowa are two separate games, as opposed to Tri-State, which is one game.  There is nothing special happening to only show Tri-State results once, since it is only one game.  It's like saying "since New Jersey is only shown once, can't you show Illinois and Iowa as one game?"  Apples and oranges.

If not ... it's really isn't that big a deal. This isn't Medical research or anything critical or lastingly meaningful to mankind.  I can always go fishing.    Ever go bass fishing in Minnesota?  I highly recommend it.  The Land of 10,000 Lakes, I think it's called.  One of the most relaxing weeks I've ever spent.

question.  Did we always have the "last digit sums" or as I called them originally "Short sums" in the features? Yes. Thanks  Any time!

winsumloosesum's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #2218
                September 1, 2003
                5387 Posts
                Posted: October 26, 2005, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

Is their any way to create an additional filter where you could have a listing of all the states and check off only the states you want to analyze?

For example:

1. How many past results = 365

2. States to exclude: (this is where you would have the complete list of states)
                    Check the state you don't want added in the list.

I don't know if it's this easy.

Thanks,

wsls

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23259 Posts
                  Posted: October 26, 2005, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

What sort of analysis?