Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NY King Kong Millions online game

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: October 26, 2005, 10:55 am - IP Logged

Quick-pick only. Players must choose cash value or 26 annual payments before buying ticket. One play for $2, three plays for $5, or seven plays for $10. Selections consist of nine-digit numbers. Sales start November 7. Drawing to be held December 5 in the Empire State Building. One first prize of a minimum $50 million. At least five second prizes of $1 million lump sum. Minimum 10 third prizes of $100,000. Don't know yet the payback percentage but I'm assuming 40%. I'm guessing unclaimed lottery winnings will be used to fund the prizes. Hopefully this game will hurt NY Lotto sales.

There will also be a King Kong scratch game, but I expect to call for a boycott, given the NY Lottery's policy of annuity-only instant tickets.

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: October 26, 2005, 11:20 am - IP Logged

The prize pool for KKM will be 40% of sales. I anticipate unclaimed prize money will be used to guarantee the three prize levels.

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: October 27, 2005, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

It's like an old-time passive draw. They should call it Retro Millions or something.

(insert signature here)

United States
        Member #379
        June 5, 2002
        11296 Posts
        Posted: October 27, 2005, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

I don't know yet how the numbers will be drawn. NY doesn't use computers except for Quick Draw. If a computer is used for KKM, I could see the draw rigged so that the grand prize is won by a "26 annual payments" ticket, since KKM players will have to choose in advance cash or annuity.

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

Sales start Monday, 11/7. Overshadowed at least initially by $225m Mega Millions.

United States
            Member #1826
            July 11, 2003
            2645 Posts
            Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

I don't know yet how the numbers will be drawn. NY doesn't use computers except for Quick Draw. If a computer is used for KKM, I could see the draw rigged so that the grand prize is won by a "26 annual payments" ticket, since KKM players will have to choose in advance cash or annuity.

How does a lottery benefit from giving out an annuity as opposed to cash?

(insert signature here)

United States
              Member #379
              June 5, 2002
              11296 Posts
              Posted: November 6, 2005, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

jimmy:

The NY Lottery itself does not benefit when somebody wins an annuity (if anything, periodic payments to winners creates overhead for the lottery.) Whoever sells the annuity to the lottery has a chance to make money off of the player's winnings.

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
                Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                United States
                Member #416
                June 23, 2002
                1614 Posts
                Posted: November 6, 2005, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

Is there only going to be those few large prizes?  So your odds of winning will be like 1 in 1 million?  If they are they should of made the game more like the Spainish Lottery El Gordo or whatever it is called with odds of better than 1 in 10 i believe.

Brad

United States
                  Member #379
                  June 5, 2002
                  11296 Posts
                  Posted: November 6, 2005, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

brad:

I don't see this game selling like hotcakes in the four-week sales period. You have a $225 million Mega Millions jackpot that will probably roll over again. You have a 40% prize pool, which is the same as NY Lotto and don't ask me why so many still throw away money on it. And you're right about so few prizes (only 16 guaranteed.) But I'm hoping KKM will hurt NY Lotto sales. Plus nobody will be able to choose which numbers to play (no betslips).

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: November 6, 2005, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

According to the rules it SOUNDS like a computer will pick the winning number(s). Remember that players must choose lump sum or 26 annual payments when playing-a computer could be programmed so that the $50 million winner receives annuity.

United States
                      Member #1826
                      July 11, 2003
                      2645 Posts
                      Posted: November 6, 2005, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

According to the rules it SOUNDS like a computer will pick the winning number(s). Remember that players must choose lump sum or 26 annual payments when playing-a computer could be programmed so that the $50 million winner receives annuity.

Why would they rig the computer so an annuity player would win? I don't understand.

(insert signature here)

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: November 6, 2005, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

jimmy:

Simple. There are companies that MAKE MONEY, or at least try to, when a lottery winner receives annuity payments instead of a lump sum. Remember when ALL the bigger lottery prizes were annuity-only?

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                          Yinzer Country, PA
                          United States
                          Member #4067
                          March 18, 2004
                          2741 Posts
                          Posted: November 6, 2005, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

CASH Only:

This game could have been a lot worse.  They could have called it King Kong Ka-Billions.  Think about that.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
                            Member #22561
                            September 27, 2005
                            11 Posts
                            Posted: November 9, 2005, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

This game sounds really stupid. I will not waste a dollar on such a dumb game. and I would advise you to do the same.  I have better odds of getting struck by lightning twice in 1 week than winning King Kong Millions.. Oh and they guarentee that 1 person will win the Jackpot??

That means this thing is rigged

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: November 9, 2005, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

Qcumber:

The draw MIGHT be rigged so that only a "26 annual payments" ticket wins the jackpot. I expect that a computer will draw the winners.