Rumors of minor’s lottery buy unfounded

Nov 1, 2005, 11:11 am (39 comments)

Powerball

Oregon lottery officials said Monday there's no truth to reports that they're investigating whether a 17-year-old bought a $340 million Powerball lottery ticket believed to belong to a Medford family.

Representatives from the state Attorney General's Office and the Oregon Lottery Commission denied a Portland television station's report that they are looking into allegations that a minor bought the ticket reportedly held by local landscaper Steve West.

"We have no reason to believe a 17-year-old purchased a ticket," said Kevin Neely, spokesman for Attorney General Hardy Myers. "We're not going to take a look until a 17-year-old shows up to claim it."

Oregon law prohibits sales of lottery tickets to minors. If a minor were discovered to have bought a ticket, the retailer who sold it would face penalties for violating a lottery contract, said spokesman Chuck Baumann.

It would not be a criminal or civil matter and it would not invalidate the prize, Baumann said.

The rumor that a minor might have bought the winning ticket surfaced last week. Baumann said Steve West assured him that an adult bought the ticket, although West wouldn't say who it was.

If a minor actually tried to claim the prize, it would not be allowed, Baumann said. Lottery precedent would allow the child to give the ticket to a parent or guardian, who could claim it.

"But at this point, it's all conjecture," Baumann said.

Mail Tribune

Comments

bellyache's avatarbellyache

Looks like someone may have been reading this board. Some people here thought West's son purchased the ticket.

Chewie

Does the word dysfunctional come to mind?

dutchesskitty

JUST GIVE IT TO ME AND ALL WILL BE WELL!

for me anyway

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

For tax reasons I don't think they are going to cash it this year. I bought tickets when I was 17. Since you can wait a year to claim tickets he could just wait until he's 18 to claim it.

CASH Only

diva:

That would not work in a state like Florida in which winners have 60 days from the DRAWING to claim, or then they are forced to take annuity. I hope OR doesn't work that way.

JimmySand9

Oh no, a 17-year old playing the lottery. He's going to be scarred for life.

C'mon seriously. It's illegal, I know. But so is jaywalking, and I don't see any one investigating that. Now if he was 7 years old, that would be different.

kruby

I just have to get something off my chest about this latest Powerball "supposed" winner and I figured a message board of this nature was as good of a place as any to do it.............maybe no one cares or even feels the same, but here goes.................

I realize it's important to take your time and  get your ducks in order when you win these "largest jackpots in history" lotteries  - because let's face it, I for one would be awful disappointed if someone irresponsible won it and just went through it like water never having done anything good with the money. Point in case, all that I've read about that Jack Whitaker from West Virginia a few Christmas' ago (DUI's galore, flaunting tons of money at a stripper joint, grand-daughter found dead, etc. and I know three churches supposedly got money, but I think church is where this guy needed to be more often or maybe he wouldn't be in his current binds).

However, this latest supposed winner of the Powerball jackpot is being almost annoyingly "coy" (word used by the media). I don't like some of the comments I've heard him supposedly say already - e.g. - this being his first time playing the Powerball (wish I had that kind of beginner's luck) and acting like he never ever gave winning it all a thought. Come on! You just cannot convince me that this guy has never even had a plan enter his lucky little head. And then to say because he doesn't want it to change his life at all, he's investing something like 99% of it. Well, nothing wrong with the investing part because that sounds responsible to me. However, if he doesn't want HIS life to change at all so much, how's about changing someone else's life then (for the good) with it. So far, I haven't heard anything being mentioned about being charitable to any unfortunate souls or a worthy cause, etc. AND if he doesn't want it to change his life so much, WHY DID HE PLAY IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!?????????? This part probably gets my goat more than anything else.  I know  no one  ever  "really" is convinced they'll win, but  isn't part of  playing responsibly (as the Powerball Commission requests) atleast having a "pretend" plan to act upon?

And although it seems like the unthinkable, that I'd ever win, I do know first hand how "you just never know" so I DO actually have a plan!  See..........my husband's uncle won a Pennsylvania lottery back in 1983 (7.5 million) and then  a distant relative of my husband's won another Pennsylvania lottery not long after that too (8.8 million). Although we never saw a cent from either one of them because the families on both sides are extremely large,  I atleast know good things were done with it to make others less fortunate happy.

So come on Mr. Supposed $340 Million Powerball Winner Guy..........quit trying so hard not to let it change your life and go for it...............atleast do good with it and change some one else's life.  That atleast would be a positive way for you to change yours without trying so hard not to!

Nuff said..........and thanks folks for letting me get this off my chest. 

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

The time to claim in OR is one year. The time for WA is 180 days. Other states I have no idea.

acronym007

If there is a rumor he bought it, I would venture a guess that there may be some truth to it but does it matter? His parents can claim it and no one can prove his parents didn't buy the ticket. Maybe they are waiting to clain the money after they get their stories straight so no one says something different. Who knows....

Chewie

I atleast know good things were done with it to make others less fortunate happy.

Where does it say in the charter of any lottery, that some one has to "do" good things with money?  That appears to be a purely liberal attitude about some one elses wealth. Karl Marx is about to rise from the grave.  You have money, you must share it with those who don't, or you are not a good person. Take from the wealthy, give to the poor. You'll feel better inside.

BULL - Its all propaganda!

Buy a Porterhouse steak and a hundred dollar bottle or wine; invite that luscious looking blonde to share it with you. Then you will feel better inside.

tg636

It is annoying, but so what, it's his money and his spotlight to do and say whatever he wants. If it was me or you we would do something different.  As for charity, Matthew 6:1 says that announcing your good works is personal vanity and will not be rewarded in heaven, so I hope that the wealthy help people quietly.  I like to think not all charity is announced at a press conference.

>You just cannot convince me that this guy has never even had a plan enter his lucky little head. And then to say because he doesn't want it to change his life at all, he's investing something like 99% of it. Well, nothing wrong with the investing part because that sounds responsible to me. However, if he doesn't want HIS life to change at all so much, how's about changing someone else's life then (for the good) with it.

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

i don't know whether this is true or not,but a friend at work told me that Mr. West had said on Good Morning America, that he wished he had never bought that lottery ticket, did anyone of you hear that...

JAG331

i don't know whether this is true or not,but a friend at work told me that Mr. West had said on Good Morning America, that he wished he had never bought that lottery ticket, did anyone of you hear that...

Jack Whittaker's wife has made such a statement!

I can't imagine that Mr. West would already be wishing it all a dream!

Chewie

We know two things.

Some one won.

No one has turned in the winning ticket.

As of this very minute, my telling you I am pregnant, has the same validity as some guy named West saying he won the money.

libra926

NOVEMBER....2ND......

OOOHHHHH BOY..I'M LOVIN THIS......LOL.OLOLOLOL  Lurking

1) Yes Rock......In an interview for Good Morning America, West told them that his wife said to him that,  because winning would change their lives, perhaps they shouldn't have purchased the tickets at all. That statement bothered me as well, as I expressed in another Blog. Let's face it, nobody ever played the Lottery, either 1st time or 100th time, for the purpose of NOT WINNING.

2) CHEWIE:  AS usual your statements are toooooo goooood for me....I can't stop.LOLOLOLOLOLL

Pleeesssse, can we finally leave Jack Whittaker alone....as I've stated in another Blog....Whoever wins is intended to win, and as for his troubles, we all have issues and concerns, and millions of Americans rich and poor have Alcohol problems....not just him....let him live his life in peace.

Well if it's true, I think it's kind of strange. I mean he hasn't even validated his ticket yet and he is already wishing that he hadn't won. That is of course if he really did say that on the news this morning.

murdoog

It is annoying, but so what, it's his money and his spotlight to do and say whatever he wants. If it was me or you we would do something different.  As for charity, Matthew 6:1 says that announcing your good works is personal vanity and will not be rewarded in heaven, so I hope that the wealthy help people quietly.  I like to think not all charity is announced at a press conference.

>You just cannot convince me that this guy has never even had a plan enter his lucky little head. And then to say because he doesn't want it to change his life at all, he's investing something like 99% of it. Well, nothing wrong with the investing part because that sounds responsible to me. However, if he doesn't want HIS life to change at all so much, how's about changing someone else's life then (for the good) with it.

Here here. The bottom line is, it's nobody's business but his what he does with the money. He might very well be planning to give to charity but is heeding the words of Jesus quoted above. Or maybe he feels like it's best not to make too many public promises. Or both. But the bottom line is he doesn't owe the public a report of what he is going to do with the money.

Chewie

Here here. The bottom line is, it's nobody's business but his what he does with the money. He might very well be planning to give to charity but is heeding the words of Jesus quoted above. Or maybe he feels like it's best not to make too many public promises. Or both. But the bottom line is he doesn't owe the public a report of what he is going to do with the money.

Exactly. No matter whether he won, or some one else won, its their money and they have no obligation outside of their  circle.  Mankind didn't come knocking before they were rich, and mankind should keep up the precidence they established. I'm still waiting for my neighborhood church to come around and contribute 10% of what I make to me! They want a chance at my winnings, they better hurry with the donation.

konane's avatarkonane

Exactly. No matter whether he won, or some one else won, its their money and they have no obligation outside of their  circle.  Mankind didn't come knocking before they were rich, and mankind should keep up the precidence they established. I'm still waiting for my neighborhood church to come around and contribute 10% of what I make to me! They want a chance at my winnings, they better hurry with the donation.

Chewie .... can tell you're a real push over for a hard luck story ..... Not!!!!             Green laugh  Green laugh  Green laugh

kruby

No, you're correct..............there isn't anything legally written anywhere stating you have to "do good things" with the winnings and yes, no one can tell the winner what to do with it all. However, in a way, technically it isn't all Mr. West's (presumed) money............everyone who purchased a Powerball ticket owns a piece of that jackpot in some way or another if you really stop to think about it.............he just happens to be the lucky bugger whose numbers got picked allowing him to win it all. Therefore, my opinion was based upon hoping that my "donation" was well spent and hoping that good things are done with it.

Lotteries could sort of be looked upon like tax dollars............we all put something in Uncle Sam's kitty, except it isn't with the voluntary enthusiasm as purchasing a lottery ticket. Taxpayers are always hoping (or complaining) that their portion of tax dollars would be or are spent wisely and "have good things done with them".

Oh well...............to each his/her own opinion and that was just mine................no worries here...................it was fun yet interesting reading everyone's comments and opinions.

Best Wishes! Smile

konane's avatarkonane

No, you're correct..............there isn't anything legally written anywhere stating you have to "do good things" with the winnings and yes, no one can tell the winner what to do with it all. However, in a way, technically it isn't all Mr. West's (presumed) money............everyone who purchased a Powerball ticket owns a piece of that jackpot in some way or another if you really stop to think about it.............he just happens to be the lucky bugger whose numbers got picked allowing him to win it all. Therefore, my opinion was based upon hoping that my "donation" was well spent and hoping that good things are done with it.

Lotteries could sort of be looked upon like tax dollars............we all put something in Uncle Sam's kitty, except it isn't with the voluntary enthusiasm as purchasing a lottery ticket. Taxpayers are always hoping (or complaining) that their portion of tax dollars would be or are spent wisely and "have good things done with them".

Oh well...............to each his/her own opinion and that was just mine................no worries here...................it was fun yet interesting reading everyone's comments and opinions.

Best Wishes! Smile

everyone who purchased a Powerball ticket owns a piece of that jackpot in some way or another if you really stop to think about it"

Everyone who purchases a ticket purchases a chance to win but the actual winning or owning of the  jackpot is not guaranteed to any specific one of that group.

No one owns any portion of the "jackpot" until numbers are drawn to see if or how many numbers were matched.

Buying a chance to win is buying an intangible until the fat lady sings and any potential winning tickets are paid to ticket holders.  Banana

Chewie

Konane, you're trying to confuse him with facts. Facts require an understanding of the principle. Not easily acceptable when the term opinion is not understood.

konane's avatarkonane

Konane, you're trying to confuse him with facts. Facts require an understanding of the principle. Not easily acceptable when the term opinion is not understood.

I yield to your wisdom!!!  Jester   

Private property ownership plus when you actually legally own it seems to be very hazy area of understanding nowadays. 

Must be some lapses in the education systemDead

BabyJC's avatarBabyJC

I wish this alleged winner never played since there has been such a letdown afterwards instead of the usual excitement.  Plus, the jackpot would have rolled over to $400 million Big Grin

Also, if this kid did wait until next year when he turns 18 to claim the jackpot, I don't think it would matter as they would go by his birth date anyhow and see he was a minor when he purchased the ticket (which is the determining factor).

Best Wishes! Smile

Ummm...no the money doesn't "technically" belong to everyone who purchased a ticket. The money belongs to the person who won the jackpot. He/she who wins a jackpot, is free to do what they want with the money. Whether they feel like opening their heart and donating or keeping all the money to themselves it's their choice.

bearhug

nebie,

If you wished that you had never won the darn ticket, then why do you call every media station in the world to tell them about it?Poke

Chewie

The spotlight does strange things to strange people. No one knows how they will react until the light is on them.

libra926

MY POSITION STANDS FROM WEDNESDAY...........Patriot

"NOVEMBER....2ND...... OOOHHHHH BOY..I'M LOVIN THIS......LOL.OLOLOLOL

1) Yes Rock......In an interview for Good Morning America, West told them that his wife said to him that, because winning would change their lives, perhaps they shouldn't have purchased the tickets at all. That statement bothered me as well, as I expressed in another Blog. Let's face it, nobody ever played the Lottery, either 1st time or 100th time, for the purpose of NOT WINNING. "

DoubleDown

Why won't the winner come forward and get the $$$ ?

99% of us would have by now- make that 100% !

DD

fja's avatarfja

Why won't the winner come forward and get the $$$ ?

99% of us would have by now- make that 100% !

DD

Rule of thumb, if you win big seek financial help.  if he won, and followed the rule, then it could be that the financial suggestion of the day would be to wait until 2006 to collect.  that way you will have time to scatter your investments around.  If you collect now then you got about 7 weeks to make decisions that need reserach and disscussion, Before Uncle Sam starts playing his favorite Beatle song.  (TAXMAN)  He was probably ready to to do the publicity circut runs...(so that we may all pass judgement on him, like we do anybody else that is in the limelighT)....but was stopped short by some good advice. 

NON-WINNERS OF LOTTERY JACKPOTS NEED TO RELAX.  ONE OF US HAS MADE IT TO THE TOP OF THE HILL, AND YOU CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHO IT IS SO THAT YOU CAN KNOCK HIM OFF.  MAYBE THEIR HAVING FUN WITH YOU!

rlevins

I just do not understand why folks here are discussing tax consequences of claiming now or next year. For anyone winning even a moderate size jackpot, the tax implications are fairly simple.
For example say you won 50M cash. The Federal tax is 50 * 0.35 = 17.5 M so you are left with 32.5 M. Lets us say your income in 2005 is zero then 17.5 M is the final tax. But if you were earning in 2005 and your income was/is say 100,000 so you pay around say 15,000 in taxes. Make it 20,000. So what is the additional tax burden ? it is just 20,000 or even if it is 50,000 what difference does it make if you have got 32.5 M and why would you wait to save 20 to 50 000 when you can get 32.5 M immediately and consider this that even if 32.5 M deposited in safest account will earn at least 5000 per day. My point is that whatever tax savings that one may be thinking is negligible in comparison to what you getting.
The only real way for any tax savings is if you want to donate part of your winnings to some good cause and say you want to donate 50% of your winnings of 50 M then you are left with 25 M and taxes on that will be around 8.75 M and you are left with 16.25 M. You saved 8.75 M in taxes and the same money went to your good cause.
The only reason I think folks should wait before collecting jackopt is that they are giving some time to themselves to realise their new world and assemble a team of advisors they can trust.

libra926

NOVEMBER 4TH.........HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE......

CHEWIE.....:> made a very valid point in his last statement.......Furthermore, I'm sure the entire "Syndicate" is congregating among themselves as to where they should move to, and how quickly they can move there,  to ensure at least a tablespoon worth of privacy, after they collect their prize winnings.  I think Steve & the Syndicate, has finally faced reality because even half of $340,000,000.00..is going to change their lives completely.

I also wonder if there's possibly been any tension among the "syndicate" as to how the money should be broken down, divided and invested.

fja's avatarfja

I just do not understand why folks here are discussing tax consequences of claiming now or next year. For anyone winning even a moderate size jackpot, the tax implications are fairly simple.
For example say you won 50M cash. The Federal tax is 50 * 0.35 = 17.5 M so you are left with 32.5 M. Lets us say your income in 2005 is zero then 17.5 M is the final tax. But if you were earning in 2005 and your income was/is say 100,000 so you pay around say 15,000 in taxes. Make it 20,000. So what is the additional tax burden ? it is just 20,000 or even if it is 50,000 what difference does it make if you have got 32.5 M and why would you wait to save 20 to 50 000 when you can get 32.5 M immediately and consider this that even if 32.5 M deposited in safest account will earn at least 5000 per day. My point is that whatever tax savings that one may be thinking is negligible in comparison to what you getting.
The only real way for any tax savings is if you want to donate part of your winnings to some good cause and say you want to donate 50% of your winnings of 50 M then you are left with 25 M and taxes on that will be around 8.75 M and you are left with 16.25 M. You saved 8.75 M in taxes and the same money went to your good cause.
The only reason I think folks should wait before collecting jackopt is that they are giving some time to themselves to realise their new world and assemble a team of advisors they can trust.

Yeah you may be right , but wouldn't a team of advisors tell you that instead of paying 20, 000 or 50,000 or donating 8.75 M in good cause, you should keep that tell next year and then let it work for you before you give it up. Not that I am any math geneis, but if I had an advisor tell me to kick in that money cause its chump change and you got plenty more where that came from, I would probably not take him. 

I know one reason why millionaires stay millionaires.  Its cause they use the money till the end, they make it work, they move it around, they find every loop whole that they can, and then and only then do they let it go. 

rlevins

Yeah you may be right , but wouldn't a team of advisors tell you that instead of paying 20, 000 or 50,000 or donating 8.75 M in good cause, you should keep that tell next year and then let it work for you before you give it up. Not that I am any math geneis, but if I had an advisor tell me to kick in that money cause its chump change and you got plenty more where that came from, I would probably not take him. 

I know one reason why millionaires stay millionaires.  Its cause they use the money till the end, they make it work, they move it around, they find every loop whole that they can, and then and only then do they let it go. 

Lol, I did not mean that to save tax one should give to charity/one's good cause. What I meant that it is very good option for people who intend to give money to charity/their good cause.
As far as taxes are concerned for Jackpot winner, one is stuck with 35% (current rate of Federal tax for earnings beyond 200K/300K). There may be some savings here and there which I may not be aware. But my point is that there is no reason for waiting months for collecting Jackpot in another year so that one can save some tax. The amount of interest that can be earned in the safest interest say for 30 M would be around 3000 to 5000 per day. So it may not be worth (depends on how many days) to wait to save on interest and lose investment income.

Chewie

Yet you join in the discussion.

rlevins

Yet you join in the discussion.

I guess you are right Chewie, I got carried away and should not have said that. Discussions are good most of the times and gives one view of the way others think about something and we learn from them sometimes.

Chewie

Hey, say what you want, however you want. I'd be the last to prohibit you. I was just noting the irony - of which I am guuilty of many times.

Chewie

You're right there, only the primary emphasis is on the moving it. For example, there is a newly published book out, and one of the items is how the Kennedy's hide their money. Good old, Ted "lets go for a swim" Kennedy, has $500M stashed in trust funds registered in an out of country account; forgot the island country's name.  Billionaire George "I hate Bush" Stanaros (SIC), also hides his off shore. He became an American citizen, but only has a small business here. The rest is out of country; strangely enough in countries we can't tax. The rich don't have to follow the rules.  Remember that when you win the big one.

fja's avatarfja

looks like this conversation is over........and they will be claiming the powerball prize shortly....on to the next topic of discussion.....what they say and what they do....

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story