Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Hmmm... See if YOU can understand this

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Chewie.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Louisville, KY
United States
Member #15734
May 20, 2005
203 Posts
Posted: November 2, 2005, 2:32 am - IP Logged

I pulled this off the Michigan Lottery's website... See if you can understand the gaffe, and I'll tell you my thoughts at the bottom....

$10,000 prize "Glitters"

Agency: Lottery

LANSING, October 27, 2005 – A very lucky Southfield man wasn’t sure how much his All That Glitters ticket was worth until he took it to a Lottery regional claim center. The ticket scanned as a $10,000 winner!

The lucky 49-year-old party store owner has played the Lottery “forever”. This is his second $10,000 win. He plans to pay bills and go to a fancy dinner with his prize money. In his spare time, he enjoys traveling.

Khalid Kesto purchased the lucky winning ticket at Golden Nugget Liquor, 34611 Mound Rd., in Sterling Heights. 

All That Glitters is just one of many Michigan Lottery Instant tickets available at more than 10,000 Lottery retailers statewide.

All proceeds from the Lottery are contributed to the state School Aid Fund which supports kindergarten through 12th grade public education in Michigan. In fiscal year 2004, the contribution was $644.8 million.

For additional information, please visit the Lottery’s Web site at www.michigan.gov/lottery.

#

Hmmm....

Stumped Yet?

OK....

1. How can you be "unsure" of what you "won" when the amount of money that you win is RIGHT BELOW THE NUMBER YOU MATCHED???

2. Why would you take the ticket to a CLAIM CENTER instead of just the store where you bought it from to "check" it??

3. If he DID win $10,000 before, HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW YOU WON IT AGAIN WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE?!?!?!?!?

4. Can you really be so out of it when YOU OWN A PARTY STORE?!?!?!?

Oy. Another example of idiots doing something they don't have the brain capacity for and getting a generous reward for it while the rest of us "smarty-pants'" have to suffer.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
    Tx
    United States
    Member #4570
    May 4, 2004
    5180 Posts
    Posted: November 2, 2005, 2:59 am - IP Logged

As they say, "That only goes to show you".

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #22395
      September 24, 2005
      1583 Posts
      Posted: November 2, 2005, 4:34 am - IP Logged

I know when I play those instants, I can't make heads or tails of them sometimes.  The directions are written in a size that requires a magnifying glass and very sparse on exactly what you are supposed to do.  That might explain why he didn't know.

As to why a Regional Center vs the store where he got the ticket...does the terminal simply spit out a message telling you to go to a Regional Center?  Or can they ALWAYS display the winning amount?  Had I ever won that much, I would know the answer, but I never did, and don't.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
        PA
        United States
        Member #22983
        October 6, 2005
        2226 Posts
        Posted: November 2, 2005, 5:53 am - IP Logged

Plus I believe all instant tickets have the amount won at the bottom of the ticket anyway. Something like 4857499380(400) - $400.00 Maybe many do not know that? They should include this info on the ticket.

United States
          Member #24503
          October 23, 2005
          159 Posts
          Posted: November 2, 2005, 7:25 am - IP Logged

I'd want to be sure of it, too, if it was that high of an amount.  Also, isn't anything higher than $599 supposed to be paid out by lottery headquarters anyway?  Something that high, hell no I wouldn't trust those behind the counter to check it ;)  unless we had a very good non-lottery related relationship with one another.  I'd go to the lotto people to make sure it isn't one of those 'you won! no you didn't!' heartbreakers, like what happened in Indiana 10, 15 years ago, when a lot of people thought they had won $250,000 in the Hoosier Holiday Millionaire scratch off game (I think) and the state refused to pay anyone because the tickets were misprinted *grin*  at least, refused to pay anyone anything that I know of.

those are good questions, truecritic.  what does happen when someone wins a high amount like that, and takes it to a store to redeem, instead of lotto HQ?

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8393 Posts
            Posted: November 2, 2005, 8:07 am - IP Logged

When people win something they can't believe it, they go into a shock like state. I had to triple look at a 9,000.00 winner I got. Even though I knew it was a winning ticket I couldn't believe my eyes at first. The second time I looked at it I said wow and the third time I looked at it I got out of the place real quick like and went home to look at it again. Happy that I won I went to lottery HQ and cashed it.

The other day I found a 20 dollar winning ticket that some person threw away it didn't even have the latex scraped off of two areas on the ticket. Under those two areas were winning symbols. Many people haven't a clue as to what their buying or what to look for and when they win something can't believe it.

PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2226 Posts
              Posted: November 2, 2005, 8:22 am - IP Logged

I would never trust having a retailer check it. I joked with some friends that, what if you took the ticket to a retailer, and after checking it they ripped it to shreads, thus saying "you didn't win crap!" Although I doubt it would ever happen, one must be prepared for anything! Workers have bad days, and some may not like the idea of another winning a large amount of money.

That is why I would have a videoographer, some witnesses, and a lawyer with me. Not to mention all the photo copies I would have already made. LOL I wonder if that has ever happend though?

Louisville, KY
                United States
                Member #15734
                May 20, 2005
                203 Posts
                Posted: November 13, 2005, 2:47 am - IP Logged

I must say though, Michigan is somewhat smart on this topic...

If you have a prize over $600, it DOES NOT show up on any screens or printouts. Rather, the printout and screen says: "File claim at regional office." This way, the cashier wouldn't know how much it was or even if it was a winner... it could be an expired ticket for all they know.

VA
                  United States
                  Member #18455
                  July 12, 2005
                  34 Posts
                  Posted: November 13, 2005, 3:52 am - IP Logged

You know what?  I am so glad that I came across this particular thread.  So many customers just throw their scratch tickets away and it never hurts to check after them. 

PA
                    United States
                    Member #22983
                    October 6, 2005
                    2226 Posts
                    Posted: November 13, 2005, 4:55 am - IP Logged

Yeah I always see the huge garbage can full of nothing but tickets. I am so tempted just to grab it and take it home. I bet the odds of finding a winner in there are actually better than buying the same amount of tickets. I bet you somebody is checking all of them after closing.

Sparta, NJ
                      United States
                      Member #18331
                      July 9, 2005
                      1977 Posts
                      Posted: November 13, 2005, 7:23 am - IP Logged

Who know why he did what he did. One thing for sure.  He has more experience at doing it then I do.  Two hits!  I don't have one hit.  Question a losers moves, not a winners.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice