Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega-Millions

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Chewie.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #637
August 28, 2002
80 Posts
Posted: November 4, 2005, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

Just returned from the convenience store in Ocean City, Md, where I always buy my tickets, and learned that the ticket machines are down all over the state of Maryland, and have been down for about an hour.

As a courtesy to customers, the clerk, a very nice young lady, took our names and a note on what to issue, as well as the money.  When, and if, the machines come on line before closing, our numbers will be entered and saved for us.

This outage is throughout the state of Maryland.  Can Mega Millions have a legimate drawing if the machines are down for one state?

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: November 4, 2005, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

I think I read, once, that Powerball had this problem and delayed the draw for an hour or so. But not positive.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
      Magnolia, Delaware
      United States
      Member #18795
      July 20, 2005
      789 Posts
      Posted: November 4, 2005, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

Well, well, I think we have another one who waits until the last minute to buy tickets! This is one reason why I go and buy my tickets the day before the drawing! I travel 20 miles to Marydale, Md. and back again to Dover, De. just to make sure I have my tickets for the drawing! Shame on you for waiting.

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
        A long and winding road
        United States
        Member #17084
        June 10, 2005
        4528 Posts
        Posted: November 4, 2005, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

Chewie is correct. In the event that a state cannot submit its reports, the drawing is delayed. This would include power outageous or software glitches.  Each state is accountable for reporting accurately and within the correct time frame as listed on the Policy.

There is no way on this green earth that I would leave my money and my potential winning numbers with a clerk in hopes that she will honestly enter them into the system at a later time.  What proof will you have when you return to get your tickets? I think it was unwise to entrust your cash and numbers to an employee in the hopes that this is an honest world. For 192 million I think even the Pope would change religions. We all have a price in which we can justify being less then honest.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Sparta, NJ
          United States
          Member #18331
          July 9, 2005
          1977 Posts
          Posted: November 5, 2005, 7:39 am - IP Logged

I think even the Pope would change religions.

The pope is already a billionaire; however, point well taken. Trust no one. If you believe it is your time, drive farther; otherwise, go watch a movie.

Cheers

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
            A long and winding road
            United States
            Member #17084
            June 10, 2005
            4528 Posts
            Posted: November 5, 2005, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

The pope takes a vow of poverty thus no cash/equity flow to him. Instead all belongings (art/land/funds) remain the property of the Vatican and its dioceses.

Glad we agree that a certain amount of caution needs to be made when entrusting funds to an employee. According to the Maryland Lottery the outage was in certain areas and didnt affect all machines in their state. The main backup/record was still in place for draw time. Not that anyone from Maryland hit the 5 numbers for 250,000 payout anyways....

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
              United States
              Member #19651
              August 3, 2005
              621 Posts
              Posted: November 5, 2005, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

todd would say on line      i say last week you should have got tickets for the next 5 draws

FLORIDA
                United States
                Member #5364
                July 1, 2004
                88 Posts
                Posted: November 5, 2005, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

I think even the Pope would change religions.

The pope is already a billionaire; however, point well taken. Trust no one. If you believe it is your time, drive farther; otherwise, go watch a movie.

Blue Angel Amen to that sentiment! If the local or state machines are down drive. The mythical trip to Hardeeville and riches takes only a tank of gas or three and a bag of chips if you really want to win......

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                  Member #12618
                  March 18, 2005
                  2060 Posts
                  Posted: November 5, 2005, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

I would have found another store. I know I wouldn't leave my money with a clerk and expect them to print out the tickets at a later time. I guess I just don't have that much trust in people.

Dance like no one is watching.

Sparta, NJ
                    United States
                    Member #18331
                    July 9, 2005
                    1977 Posts
                    Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

The pope takes a vow of poverty thus no cash/equity flow to him.  Instead all belongings (art/land/funds) remain the property of the Vatican and its dioceses.

Ahhh, now I know why the term "The Middle Man" was created, so the Pope doesn't have to touch all contaminated dollars bills.  Not getting the cash is a song-and-dance. The ultimate in cons.  Greatest trust fund ever conceived.  He travels first class everywhere; the Cardinals obviously have the credit cards. I'd bet those white robes cost thousands each, custom made, and hand cleaned.  Yeah, thats poverty.

Cheers

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                      PA
                      United States
                      Member #22983
                      October 6, 2005
                      2226 Posts
                      Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

Nice to know that all my lotteries I play are only across the street. I am not a big traveling fan! Cool

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

Nice to know that all my lotteries I play are only across the street. I am not a big traveling fan! Cool

What would you do if the link to all the computers in your area crashed, and the jackpot flashing in your head said $200 million, or $300 million, or $400 million?.  Bet you'd catch the next bus!  We would all do whatever it takes.  Otherwise we would be visiting the fluffy entertainment blogs.

Cheers

PA
                          United States
                          Member #22983
                          October 6, 2005
                          2226 Posts
                          Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

Well I do travel occasionally, but 'luckily' I have never had to travel to play yet. Hell if I can't even win a $340 million dollar jackpot in my own town, I sure as heck am not going to spend $20 more in gas to go elsewhere to lose! I will simply sit it out and save the money. I am not that lottery obsessed....yet.

Sparta, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #18331
                            July 9, 2005
                            1977 Posts
                            Posted: November 5, 2005, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

Actually, you may be making a mistake.

I live in a boonie town, albiet a rich mans boonie town, and started to wonder why no jackpots were being won in Sparta. The money was here to be spent, and there are a dozen terminals in the area. So I started watching the NJ Lottery site for winner locations. It soon became obvious that almost every winner was from a populous areas.  Then I started noticing the same pattern in Pennsylvania. The hick towns, out in the boonies, were not winning the big bucks on a steady basis. The ball isn't supposed to care, but it obviously does!

Try Philly - or Trenton - this week-end, you might surprise yourself.

Cheers

PA
                              United States
                              Member #22983
                              October 6, 2005
                              2226 Posts
                              Posted: November 5, 2005, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

Yes I actually thought about that, but I am very content at breaking that record! I suppose the locations are merely a coincidence, or simply due to the fact that a lot more people are playing in the more populated areas. If 10,000 in a little town rarely ever play, well obviously they have no chance of winning. I just wish I had enough money to play for all of us! Of course if I had that kind of cash, I would not be playing the lottery. Plus it would be MUCH bigger news that I was the first one to win in my local area, but then again I do not want to be BIG news.