Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Planning On Winning A Jackpot?

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Chewie.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Sparta, NJ
United States
Member #18331
July 9, 2005
1977 Posts
Posted: November 10, 2005, 10:59 am - IP Logged

Its time for the refresher course: http://www.williamsmullen.com/news/articles_detail/019.htm

The Morning After: Tax Planning for Lottery Winners

A consideration for each dollar you plan on winning.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
    Member #13801
    April 14, 2005
    48 Posts
    Posted: November 11, 2005, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

Interesting article, Chewie.  It's very informative.

This paragraph will probably surprise some people:

"Many lottery winners, especially large prize winners, are often dismayed to learn that, even after their lottery prize is substantially reduced by income tax withholding, they may be required to pay additional income tax. Given the disparity between the 28% federal withholding rate and the 39.6% top marginal income tax rate for individual taxpayers, many large prize winners will have to pay more in income tax than the amount originally withheld."

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: November 11, 2005, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

Interesting article, Chewie.  It's very informative.

This paragraph will probably surprise some people:

"Many lottery winners, especially large prize winners, are often dismayed to learn that, even after their lottery prize is substantially reduced by income tax withholding, they may be required to pay additional income tax. Given the disparity between the 28% federal withholding rate and the 39.6% top marginal income tax rate for individual taxpayers, many large prize winners will have to pay more in income tax than the amount originally withheld."

The article must be outdated. Federal withholding is now 25%.

Sparta, NJ
        United States
        Member #18331
        July 9, 2005
        1977 Posts
        Posted: November 11, 2005, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

How did you come up with that? The Bush reduction? It is about to expire and he is out of tokens to maintain it.

Cheers

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #1340
          April 6, 2003
          2450 Posts
          Posted: November 11, 2005, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

top rate is currently 35% this is for income in excess of $163,225

in my calculations I overestimate at 40% (makes it easier for quick calculations)

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
            PA
            United States
            Member #22983
            October 6, 2005
            2226 Posts
            Posted: November 11, 2005, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

Yes I also posted this too awhile back. Good article. The federal witholding here is also 25%, with no state, or local tax. Smiley

PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2226 Posts
              Posted: November 11, 2005, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

What if one takes a lump sum, and invests it in a regular checking account that accumulates no interest? Would you still be taxed every year? Do you pay 35% of your winnings every year? If so, that is a crock of crap.

Although you would still have far more money than if you would not have won, the tax crap does put a damper on the windfall. I guess it is safe to say that the IRS does not play the lottery, they win everytime someone else does. Besides I doubt they would tax themselves.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #1340
                April 6, 2003
                2450 Posts
                Posted: November 11, 2005, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

in a lump sum distribution, they only pay you once, therefore it is only income once...

after that, you only pay taxes on the interest earned, but the principal has already been taxed.

And PA does withhold 25%, but if it is over the amount above, you are responsible for paying the other 10% within the tax year of your win.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

PA
                  United States
                  Member #22983
                  October 6, 2005
                  2226 Posts
                  Posted: November 11, 2005, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

True but as I said, "What if one takes a lump sum, and invests it in a regular checking account that accumulates no interest?" What if one was content with spending the principle, and did not want to bother with interest? I know for an absolute fact that I would never spend millions in principle, not even close, plus I have no family really, or dependents. So I would actually have no problem living off the principle. I would not want anyone else getting the money anyway.

But it seems that the more money most get, the more they want. I would not mind the interest, as long as I still came out ahead in the end.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                    Magnolia, Delaware
                    United States
                    Member #18795
                    July 20, 2005
                    789 Posts
                    Posted: November 11, 2005, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

No interest earned, No Income Tax on the money! As long as the principle earns you no income, then you can't be taxed on it! It's just that because the IRS took the first 25% doesn't mean you don't owe any additional tax, because you do, try like another 13% at the end of the year! With that kind of money your now in the 38% tax bracket! The IRS just gets the bulk of the money owed on your sudden wealth upfront is all.

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

PA
                      United States
                      Member #22983
                      October 6, 2005
                      2226 Posts
                      Posted: November 12, 2005, 12:27 am - IP Logged

Would you still have to pay 13% every year after that? Or just once? As I said though, I could live off the principle forever, but I would not mind living off the interest. So as long as the interest is higher then the taxes would be?

I heard that the one winner of the Powerball on the TV show I posted about here, (David Edwards I think,) accumulates about $14,000 a day interest! That is like $5 million a year! What would be the taxes on that interest? He must have some really good investments, as he won$74,750,000, but I believe he was one of 3 winners. So if he selected the lump sum I don't see how he gets that much in interest. Unless he gets 10% or more.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2001/08/28/loc_ky_powerball_winner.html

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: November 12, 2005, 9:06 am - IP Logged

I would think that %10 would be about average. 

But don't forget the expense of money.  Lawyers for multi-millionaires don't come cheap.  Financial Advisers don't work for peanuts.  The going rate for a compentent CPA has to be big numbers. 

If you have half a brain, you've set up an LLC (or something similar) and the expenses of the LLC are deductible; just like any business.  If you follow the Trump rule, you never spend your own money, you borrow and spend some one elses.  Then you make the profits on the good deals, and declare bankruptcy on the bad deals.  Money comes in, never goes out; except for divorces.  Follow the Disney World rule of business, hire your close relatives and friends at the maximum salary allowable, tack on hiring bonuses, expenses, and incentives.  Then, after a short period, fire them, pay them a termination bonus, and allow them to keep the houses and cars as losses.  Then deduct as a business loss.  Then there are off-shore trusts that the Kennedy's and Kerry's have perfected. 

Lots of ways.  All you need is the one win to get you into the diner where the big boys eat.

Cheers

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                          Magnolia, Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #18795
                          July 20, 2005
                          789 Posts
                          Posted: November 12, 2005, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

Sirbrad,  No interest earned, No Income Tax on the money! As long as the principle earns you no income, then you can't be taxed on it! As you asked and answered your own question>> Would you still have to pay 13% every year after that? << Answer is NO! Or just once? <<< Yes, on the one time to make up the difference of what wasn't taken when the IRS took their first 25%.

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

United States
                            Member #25881
                            November 12, 2005
                            62 Posts
                            Posted: November 12, 2005, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

this is somewhat confusing and dismaying  Confused

Sparta, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #18331
                              July 9, 2005
                              1977 Posts
                              Posted: November 12, 2005, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

I would think that you would have to make an exceptional effort to not make money on a multi-million dollar win.  The only way I can think of, is by not claiming it. 

Cheers