Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lightning or Lottery?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Stars.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: November 12, 2005, 5:10 am - IP Logged

You're more likely to be struck dead by lightning than you are to win the Lottery? WRONG!

It's a commonly help folklore belief, the idea that winning the lottery is so improbable that you are more likely to be struck by lightning and killed. Here are the odds:

Winning the Lottery: 14 million to one (approx)

Being killed by lightning: 10 million to one (very approx)

So, it would seem at first sight to be true. But it's NOT. That's because the lottery figure is based on buying a single lottery ticket and getting all six numbers up that WEEK, whereas the lightning figure is based on how many people per head of the population are killed by lightning PER YEAR! So, there is a x52 missing; we're comparing a WEEK with a YEAR. Allowing for this, the corrected result is that you are about 40-50 times more likely to win the lottery than you are to be killed by lightning, assuming such things as that you always buy one lottery ticket per week and that you are out in thunderstorms only as much as average!

Here's some figures:

Buying one lottery ticket and getting all six numbers gives odds of 49 x 48 x 47 x 46 x 45 x 44 / 6 / 5 / 4 / 3 / 2 of getting them all correct = 13,983,816:1

Deaths by lightning, taking the UK as an example, FIVE out of a population of about 50 million, in an average year. (If you have more accurate figures on that, please let me know!) 50 million divided by 5 gives 10,000,000:1

Other points of note are that your probability of being struck by lightning is not affected by your gambling, and around the world there are different lottery odds & weather conditions, and that last time I looked there were 64 million tickets sold per week, which means that if you choose birthdays you'll probably end up sharing the prize if you win!

http://www.zyra.org.uk/probab1.htm

I agree.

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: November 12, 2005, 8:38 am - IP Logged

Interesting, however, I would prefer winning the lottery over being struck by lightning.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

JAP69's avatar - alas
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #6
      November 4, 2001
      8790 Posts
      Posted: November 12, 2005, 9:01 am - IP Logged

The closest I came to being struck by lightning is about 5 minutes. Have not come that close on a jackpot prize.

Was working in the front yard of a job and a thunder storm started to show itself. I packed up my tools and left. The occupant of the house said I was just out of sight down the road when it struck.
      The Lightning struck the tree that was no further than 10 feet from where I was working. Split the trunk of that 3 foot tree in half.

So I figure I am going to hit the jackpot pretty soon. >LOL<

MAGA

Sparta, NJ
        United States
        Member #18331
        July 9, 2005
        1977 Posts
        Posted: November 12, 2005, 9:16 am - IP Logged

If I was you, I would stay away from trees.  The gods maybe be zeroing in.  Never ignore the warning round.

Cheers

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #2338
          September 17, 2003
          2063 Posts
          Posted: November 12, 2005, 9:27 am - IP Logged

You can always increase your odds with lightning. Carry a thin iron rod with a copper wire on it touching the ground. Wave it around on an open field like a cemetary or golf course during the next lightning storm and your odds can really go up. Getting your odds to go up for the lottery is a lot more difficult.

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: November 12, 2005, 9:31 am - IP Logged

Like you said, you have to consider weather conditions. It's the lightning captital of the world, right here in Florida.

I saw lightning hit around me so many times, it's a wonder I'm still alive. So you might have to go back to the drawing board on that one.

By the way, it's 1 in 7 million here in Florida, and our lotto is almost 1 in 23 million. So it varies, depending on where you live.

Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

Canada
              Member #2673
              November 2, 2003
              497 Posts
              Posted: November 12, 2005, 10:08 am - IP Logged

Not long aga I was playing golf with a few buddies and a severe storm blew in very quickly. All of sudden there was thunder and lightening everywhere. We all started to run towards the club house. One guy held up a one iron while he ran. When we got to the club house I asked him why he held up the one iron while he run. He replied that not even God can hit a one iron.

Good luck,
              Jake

United States
                Member #25881
                November 12, 2005
                62 Posts
                Posted: November 12, 2005, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

so still much better chances of being struck by lightning

than being the sole winner of the megamillions jackpot

that's like about one in 175 million approx.    No Nod

Sparta, NJ
                  United States
                  Member #18331
                  July 9, 2005
                  1977 Posts
                  Posted: November 12, 2005, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

Nothing wrong with lightning.  Made Ben Franklin rich and famous.

Cheers

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                    Member #12618
                    March 18, 2005
                    2060 Posts
                    Posted: November 12, 2005, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

I like thunder and lightning. I just don't want to be struck by it. =)

Dance like no one is watching.

PA
                      United States
                      Member #22983
                      October 6, 2005
                      2226 Posts
                      Posted: November 12, 2005, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

Lightning struck a tree down at an amusement park right where I was sitting less than 2 minutes ago. Luckily a show I wanted to see got me out of there! A few years later I saw lightning strike down and hit a tree 10 feet in front my house! I saw a huge bright light, and part of the top of the tree fall down and smash through the neighbors car window. I can't believe I just happen to be looking out the window at the time. I could not see, or hear anything after that for a few seconds. But anyway, I believe it is now the lotteries turn...

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: November 12, 2005, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

Stange, I see lightning, I go in some other direction.  Just been a natural habit.

Cheers

PA
                          United States
                          Member #22983
                          October 6, 2005
                          2226 Posts
                          Posted: November 12, 2005, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps my near misses with lightning also explains my one digit misses from winning big. It might take getting struck by lightning to increase my odds some. Well I am off to the roof top with my golf irons...

United States
                            Member #16612
                            June 2, 2005
                            3493 Posts
                            Posted: November 12, 2005, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

I'm not even close to winning any jackpot. So I think lightning has a better chance.

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: November 12, 2005, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

so still much better chances of being struck by lightning

than being the sole winner of the megamillions jackpot

that's like about one in 175 million approx.    No Nod

Yes , but I would still hold my ground...no pun intended.....

Because , I forget who... but someone here has a signature that says....." The odds don't mean a thing to the Jackpot winner "

You never know!!!!!