Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I don't much like the scratchers.

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #25881
November 12, 2005
62 Posts
Posted: November 13, 2005, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

Dunno why fur shir, but just don't like 'em so much.

Anyone feel the same?

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: November 13, 2005, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

I hate them. Predetermined, and absolutely no skill can be applied. But of course I am sure o woman who lives in my neck of the woods does not think the same.

BETHLEHEM WOMAN WINS TOP PRIZE IN $1 MILLION BLOCKBUSTER INSTANT GAME, TWICE

Goeppert Wins $1 Million in January And Again In June

MIDDLETOWN: June 13, 2005:  Pennsylvania Lottery Executive Director Ed Mahlman this afternoon announced that Donna Goeppert, 55, of Bethlehem, Northampton County, is the latest winner of the top prize in the Lottery’s popular instant ticket game, $1 Million Blockbuster.  Goeppert also won the $1 million top prize, less 25 percent federal withholding, in the instant game in January. 

“Mrs. Goeppert filed a claim with the Lottery on Friday, and today after executing security procedures, I am happy to officially announce that she has won,” said Lottery Executive Director Ed Mahlman.  “We congratulate Mrs. Goeppert on her good fortune in winning two top prizes, each worth $1 million cash.”

Goeppert purchased her latest $1 million-winning instant ticket at Lump’s Deli in Bethlehem.  In January, Goeppert purchased a top prize winning ticket at Linden Food Market in Bethlehem.  Each retailer receives a $5,000 bonus for selling the winning ticket. 

Although unusual for a player to win two top prizes in such a short period of time, it is not a unique occurrence in Pennsylvania Lottery history.  A Carbon County man won four jackpot prizes worth a total of nearly $3 million a 12-year period; his last two jackpot wins came within three-and-one-half weeks of each other.  In 2000, a Berks County couple won two replica Pocono Raceway pace cars in one month’s time.  And just last month, a Lottery player from Delaware County won three prizes of $1,000 each in the $1 Million Strike It Rich instant ticket game.

Lottery’s $1 Million Blockbuster is a $20 game that offers five top prizes of $1 million cash. Two other top prize-winning tickets were sold last August and October in Susquehanna County and Philadelphia, respectively.  One top prize remains in the game.  There are 20 chances to win on each ticket, and overall odds of winning a prize are 1-in-3.24.  The odds of winning the top prize are 1 in 1.44 million. 

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
      Member #12618
      March 18, 2005
      2060 Posts
      Posted: November 13, 2005, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

Nope...I like 'em, but I don't play scratch-offs that often. Every now and then I will buy a ticket. I do however, like the holiday tickets.

Dance like no one is watching.

angelm's avatar - anne
        richmond ky.
        United States
        Member #15877
        May 22, 2005
        8472 Posts
        Posted: November 16, 2005, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

United States
          Member #1759
          June 29, 2003
          1156 Posts
          Posted: November 16, 2005, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Don't people win more from the Online games than they do from  the Scratch Off games

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
            Member #12618
            March 18, 2005
            2060 Posts
            Posted: November 16, 2005, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

Don't people win more from the Online games than they do from  the Scratch Off games

I don't know...I've never played any online games, but I have won a bunch of small prizes on scratch-offs.

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
              Member #1759
              June 29, 2003
              1156 Posts
              Posted: November 16, 2005, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

Online Games are Cash 3 and Play 4 which I believe more people win at then they do with Scratch-Offs

fbird's avatar - nw archer.jpg
                White Lake,Mi
                United States
                Member #1495
                May 12, 2003
                5546 Posts
                Posted: November 27, 2005, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

Use to play Michigan's frequently about 10 years ago. They use to offer a lot of lower tier prizes of $500 to $50, but some wise guy decided that it was better to offer more $2-$5 prizes..duno, rocket science at its finest..but now when buying a $5 to $20 ticket there is no $500 winners ...so I haven't played them but sparingly in the last 10 years because of their lousy payoffs...not looking to win JUST my money back....waste of money....it is a cash cow that they use to bilk people out of their money and keep a fat 65% profit margin...real bad bet, tho I do notice, by having visited some other lottery sites that the games are more in line with actually winning something. Like in Michigan if you happen to win one of the 2,one milliondollar prizes that they offer, on the $10 ticket ...it will be payed to you in installments over 25 years...what a deal ...so to me it is better to lay your money on a quick pick for the mega-millions...just about as good a chance of hitting that ..but thats just me...lol..so if you ask me don't waste your money...

VAL

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me: I may not follow.

Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Albert Camus

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                  Member #26882
                  November 23, 2005
                  1404 Posts
                  Posted: November 27, 2005, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

Would someone explain the odds on scratch tickets, If I recall it says 1 in 4.5 chance of winning a prize, I may be wrong but think that is what it says! If so I assume that would mean 1 in every 4.5 tickets sold? And if so that would be Not True! Maybe I am mistaken on the odds. At any rate, the most I have ever won on a scratch ticket was 40 dollars and I do get them. As for the woman who one 2 major cash prizes in the same county that tells me they are not distributing evenly between the counties! Why does one county get two BIG winning tickets and other counties none? Don’t seam fair!

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                    Member #14
                    November 9, 2001
                    31343 Posts
                    Posted: November 27, 2005, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

Nope...I like 'em, but I don't play scratch-offs that often. Every now and then I will buy a ticket. I do however, like the holiday tickets.

same here - once in a while.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                      North Dakota
                      United States
                      Member #13397
                      April 5, 2005
                      1623 Posts
                      Posted: November 28, 2005, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

I like scratch tickets.  Online is ok but you have better odds of winning a low amount  prize on a scratch ticket than on an online game like powerball or Mega Millions.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

United States
                        Member #1826
                        July 11, 2003
                        2645 Posts
                        Posted: December 2, 2005, 12:49 am - IP Logged

Love 'em. Fun to play, and I have won money on them (not much, I'm around breaking even). Just wish there were more "Hit $50" type games in my area. We have one $2 ticket with a $100 top prize, and I've more on that than any other. No point in going for the big one, they aren't sending any of those to my area.

(insert signature here)

Philadelphia
                          United States
                          Member #16854
                          June 6, 2005
                          4 Posts
                          Posted: December 4, 2005, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

I play them for about 10% of my purchases for fun-

The odds are more in favor of getting more tickets via small winnings,

For example, a Wheel of Fortune game in NJ offers 3 30,000 prizes out of 5.4 million tickets for worse odds than the cash 5 jackpot. On the upside, you have the higher percentage of at least getting your money back.

ON a roll of 6 instant tickets, though it his highly unlikely you would get more than 1 winning ticket, where as with a "normal" jackpot drawing ticket are tickets are statistically independent of one another.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                            Marquette, MI
                            United States
                            Member #20541
                            August 20, 2005
                            705 Posts
                            Posted: December 5, 2005, 12:20 am - IP Logged

I dont normally play scratch offs.  I like the Nightly Michigan Keno Game instead.

The odds are better than for scratch tickets and the prizes are better.  Instead of buying a $5 scratch ticket you can buy five keno tickets with the same numbers and if you do win you get five times the prize!  I had not won $100 on a scratch ticket since the 80's when I decided the Keno here is better.  Sure enough! I won $25 and since I had 5 tickets with the same numbers I got $125!  If you buy a $5 scratch ticket the top prize is $200,000 to $400,000 here in Michigan depending on the game but if you buy 5 Nightly Kenos with the same numbers you can get $1,250,000 and the odds are roughly the same(note also with $5 worth of kenos you can beat the top annuity prize on a $10 scratcher by over a factor of 2 since the cash amount on that is about $500,000 to $600,000...so really $2-$3 of kenos = $10 scratcher $5 of Kenos =$20 scratcher!).

The other problem with scratch tickets is that you have absolutley no chance of winning the top prize unless that ticket just happens to be in the store where you are buying tickets!  If you "dial-a-prize" with how many ever Keno tickets you want to play you have just as much chance as anyone else in the state.

I do buy scratchers instead of Christmas or Birthday cards cause people might spend 15 seconds with a card and then they throw the $2 to $5 card away whereas the scratch tickets are more entertaining and could result in an added bonus gift.

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: December 11, 2005, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

MA and NY are the worst scratch-off states because each has numerous annuity-only prizes. I would play only the $1s and $2s in these states.