Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do you play Multi-state lottery?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Littlemanjen.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Why do you play Multi-state lottery?

For the really BIG jackpots. [ 12 ]  [32.43%]
For any jackpot. [ 7 ]  [18.92%]
For 2nd prize amount. [ 3 ]  [8.11%]
To win some money. [ 7 ]  [18.92%]
To make some profit. [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
To break even. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I love gambling. [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
Am addicted. [ 2 ]  [5.41%]
For entertainment. [ 3 ]  [8.11%]
To fund education or other [ 1 ]  [2.70%]
Total Valid Votes [ 37 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  

United States
Member #24439
October 22, 2005
638 Posts
Posted: November 18, 2005, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

For me, I want to win $200,000 on PB. It is just something I have aspired to. Trying to win the jackpot seems impossible and infinte amount of luck. It migth seem silly and I know 2nd prize is 1:42 odds to win in PB, but it is why I play. It doesn't make that much difference if the jackpot is 15 million or 100M.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
    Member #12618
    March 18, 2005
    2060 Posts
    Posted: November 18, 2005, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

I play for mulitple reasons. I love to win money, I like gambling, it's fun and maybe I am a bit addicted. =)

Dance like no one is watching.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
      Magnolia, Delaware
      United States
      Member #18795
      July 20, 2005
      789 Posts
      Posted: November 18, 2005, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

I play for mulitple reasons. I love to win money, I like gambling, it's fun and maybe I am a bit addicted. =)

I Agree! I can relate to all the above.Big Smile

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Sparta, NJ
        United States
        Member #18331
        July 9, 2005
        1977 Posts
        Posted: November 18, 2005, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

For the jackpot, but only because the jackpot rises above the single digit million long before a state level can - California doesn't count for me.  If I was in CA, I would play MM at $300M+, not before.  In NJ, their $2.5M annuity isn't worth the dollar.  I'm looking for the $20-50M cash option.  Anything below is a waste of a dollar, and anything more reduces my odds of winning.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
          Member #16612
          June 2, 2005
          3493 Posts
          Posted: November 18, 2005, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

My vote is when the jackpot is very high jackpots. For example, the MM jackpot hit 300+ million. My dad decided to buy just $2 in the previous draw. Remember, it might take only $1 to win a huge jackpot. I agree with Chewie's example.

Roslindale, MA
            United States
            Member #5377
            July 1, 2004
            135 Posts
            Posted: November 18, 2005, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

For the BIG pots ($50MM cash value and up).

whitmansm2's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
              Right here...can't you see me?
              United States
              Member #21521
              September 10, 2005
              131 Posts
              Posted: November 18, 2005, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

I don't understand how it reduces your odds of winning. I thought the odds were the same regardless!?!?!?

No No

Don't cry over spilled milk.  Go milk another cow!!

Stephanie

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: November 18, 2005, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

I don't understand how it reduces your odds of winning. I thought the odds were the same regardless!?!?!?

Count the number of people playing. Only one can win. The odds of a winner are the same, the odds of you being that winner are dependant on the number of players.  The greater the number of jackpots, the greater your chances of being a winner.

Cheers

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1884 Posts
                  Posted: November 19, 2005, 1:23 am - IP Logged

Yep the fact that Powerball is at a record for number of jackpot winners for a single year justifies me playing at any jackpot level.  It makes me feel more like I actually have a shot at winning.

Also, yeah, $200,000 is a great second prize, and that stays the same regardless of jackpot level (and actually increases in the event Powerball's jackpot goes more than $25 million over its previous record).  Hell, with exception of Hot Lotto, it's more than the other online games in Iowa offer as TOP PRIZES ($100,000 for Iowa's Daily Cash Game)!!!

Dolce, Illinois
                    United States
                    Member #26462
                    November 18, 2005
                    50 Posts
                    Posted: November 20, 2005, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

Coffee  It's sort of like the cheap thrill you get from punching the gas and going real fast, but a lot safer.

I don't really believe I'll win, but as they say, you can't unless you play.

I spend so little on it, and only play at certain times, it's still fun.

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
                      Florence, Alabama
                      United States
                      Member #8658
                      November 13, 2004
                      1993 Posts
                      Posted: November 20, 2005, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

For me, I want to win $200,000 on PB. It is just something I have aspired to. Trying to win the jackpot seems impossible and infinte amount of luck. It migth seem silly and I know 2nd prize is 1:42 odds to win in PB, but it is why I play. It doesn't make that much difference if the jackpot is 15 million or 100M.

I feel the same way in some ways. My goal is to get the 2nd prize on Powerball but if I luck up and win it all I wouldn't turn it down,lol. On MM the goal is the Jackpot, but if they had a multiplier then I would be striving for the 2nd  prize. I would be happy with $200,000 or $250,000 with a multiplier.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: November 20, 2005, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

I feel the same way in some ways. My goal is to get the 2nd prize on Powerball but if I luck up and win it all I wouldn't turn it down,lol. On MM the goal is the Jackpot, but if they had a multiplier then I would be striving for the 2nd  prize. I would be happy with $200,000 or $250,000 with a multiplier.

Why, on earth, would you set a "goal" of second place on anything?  Why not set a "goal" of the highest and accept second place as adequate? 

I'm sure glad you will never represent this country in the Olympics!

Cheers

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: December 7, 2005, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

I play multi-state (MM and PB) for a reason unique to NYers: Our Lotto game has a terrible (38%-40%) payout percentage.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                            North Dakota
                            United States
                            Member #13397
                            April 5, 2005
                            1623 Posts
                            Posted: December 8, 2005, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

I think it's fun.  Think about it.  One minute before the draw and you are sitting in front of the TV thinking what if my numbers rolled out tonight.  I mean everyone has the same chances.  What if tonight is my to be your night?  Then you watch the drawing...  First number poped out is yours!  You think ok this could be it...  Second number isn't yours.  You think darn wasn't my night; however, that $10,000 3rd prize comes to mind.  Third Number pops out and it isn't yours.  You say there goes my $10,000; however, I still could win $100. Fourth number isn't. fifth number is!!!  You think well I still may break even with $7 if I match the PB.  Then the PB rolls down and you see that you indeed win $7.  I know it's not as great as winning the JP or $200,000 but everyone gets some fun out of watching drawings and trying to match the numbers.  Or atleast I think it's fun.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Morrison, IL
                              United States
                              Member #4657
                              May 13, 2004
                              1884 Posts
                              Posted: December 8, 2005, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

Yep, the fact that you can win even a prize by matching just the Powerball or Mega ball makes those televised drawings more fun to watch than the traditional state pick 6 games.