Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 4:32 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

3 hours of hell

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 11 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Sparta, NJ
United States
Member #18331
July 9, 2005
1977 Posts
Posted: November 19, 2005, 9:55 am - IP Logged

Sounds like a clot of people need to stop downloading crap off the internet, or stop jumping on those freebie links.  A good firewall, a good virus protector, and a medium of common sense and you can keep your computer clean.

I Agree! 100% correct.

I run stahdard Windows XP on all my PCs (except my Mac), with Norton Internet Security handling the firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware.  I also run AdAware every two weeks or so, but it hasn't detected any real spyware on my PC for over six months now.  Norton, combined with Microsoft Outlook, do an excellent job of filtering out everything bad from incoming e-mail, and I get literally thousands of e-mails every day.  (In fact, I use Microsoft Outlook's built-in anti-spam filter, and turn off Norton's e-mail anti-spam filter.  It still scans all e-mails for viruses, but Microsoft's filter does a better job of filtering out the spam nonsense.)

With this setup I never have any kind of infection problems.

Why is that people ridicule the old lady for sending money to a bogus lottery winning scam, and those same people open up their computers to all the free popups and allow a virus or Trojan into their computer?  Me thinks it is all about greed, they just can't accept that they are the victum.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
    Member #12618
    March 18, 2005
    2060 Posts
    Posted: November 19, 2005, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

You can get a virus from just going to a site.  You don't necessarily have to click on a pop-up to get one.

Dance like no one is watching.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #5344
      June 30, 2004
      23641 Posts
      Posted: November 19, 2005, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

MY computer at home will let me get to LP and results page.. which is wonderful. but I cannot post predictions are posts.

it sends an error report or something like that and shuts the screen down.

HELP

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Sparta, NJ
        United States
        Member #18331
        July 9, 2005
        1977 Posts
        Posted: November 19, 2005, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

Thats why you should do as Todd said, and have a quality Virus checker - with up-to-the-minute software.  My Norton goes off and checks for update at 1:00 am every day.  Downloads and installs.  Norton Firewall has never failed.  Microsoft Security has never failed - it has automatic download/install also.  I never accept a cookie until I have been there a dozen times (LP has cookies like crazy!).  Some times I just deny the cookie and don't go back.  I never trust any source I didn't specifically ask for.  Install all software off line - pulling the connection plug is not that hard.  Used to have lots of problems.  Have not had a hit in three years.

Cheers

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: November 19, 2005, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

Hubby swears that the LP site is what is messing up things on the computer..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Sparta, NJ
            United States
            Member #18331
            July 9, 2005
            1977 Posts
            Posted: November 19, 2005, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

Check you security setup for cookies acceptance.

Cheers

konane's avatar - wallace
              Atlanta, GA
              United States
              Member #1265
              March 13, 2003
              3351 Posts
              Posted: November 19, 2005, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

Free virus scan and cleaning, Free Spyware scan and cleaning.  Highly reputable company.  Also free CoolWebSearchy Shredder to download.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I run their PC-cillin anti-virus software and have never had a problem with downloading, uploading or posting.  They've also caught some email viruses my ISP's virus protection missed. 

Good luck to everyone!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23353 Posts
                Posted: November 19, 2005, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

Hubby swears that the LP site is what is messing up things on the computer..

Hubby is wrong.  I'm not sure what your husband does for a living, but I'm a computer expert.  (At least that's what people who hire me tell me.)  There is nothing on Lottery Post that would "mess up" you computer in any way.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                  Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #1303
                  March 27, 2003
                  1508 Posts
                  Posted: November 19, 2005, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like a clot of people need to stop downloading crap off the internet, or stop jumping on those freebie links.  A good firewall, a good virus protector, and a medium of common sense and you can keep your computer clean.

I Agree! 100% correct.

I run stahdard Windows XP on all my PCs (except my Mac), with Norton Internet Security handling the firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware.  I also run AdAware every two weeks or so, but it hasn't detected any real spyware on my PC for over six months now.  Norton, combined with Microsoft Outlook, do an excellent job of filtering out everything bad from incoming e-mail, and I get literally thousands of e-mails every day.  (In fact, I use Microsoft Outlook's built-in anti-spam filter, and turn off Norton's e-mail anti-spam filter.  It still scans all e-mails for viruses, but Microsoft's filter does a better job of filtering out the spam nonsense.)

With this setup I never have any kind of infection problems.

I have Norton and Adaware also....But I also have a program I purchased at either Office Max or Office Depot called Win UltraCleaner. I run it after every online session, and it wipes out all the files that Adaware does, and moreso.  If I run Adaware after runnng WUC, Adaware finds nothing to report.

There are good progs out there to protect you.  But the best advice is probably to "Be careful what you click on".

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    PA
                    United States
                    Member #22983
                    October 6, 2005
                    2226 Posts
                    Posted: November 19, 2005, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

If you are an avid gamer, all those security measures do nothing more than hinder gameplay. I rarely ever just browse around the net, I mostly play fps games. For the most part these so called security measures do not always work, in fact some of them actually create issues just so that you assume they working, and doing their job. (Norton's) That justifies their subscription...I have the bare minimum security possible, and I have about 3 problems in 5 years. Because I am usually able to bypass all the holes manually.