Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

N.C. computerized drawings - who will guard against?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Tenaj.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23262 Posts
Posted: November 19, 2005, 8:47 am - IP Logged

I'm wondering which Lottery Post member will be the first to get their "letter to the editor" published in a major North Carolina newspaper.

There needs to be a major letter-writing campaign to all the N.C. newspapers, blanketing the state, to ensure that every citizen and every representative is aware of this issue, and makes it clear that computerized drawings are not acceptible.

Here is a list of North Carolina newspapers I tracked down:

It took me about 20 minutes to track down all these newspapers and their links.  How long would it take you to write a "letter to the editor" and e-mail it to each of those newspapers?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: November 19, 2005, 10:03 am - IP Logged

I personnaly don't care whether it is computer drawn or some little ball jumps around.  However, I think every one knows enough about me to know, that if I did have a preference, I would be spending all my time blasting the papers with my viewpoint.  I see people, one after another, blast computer drawings on this board. 

I am very anxious to know how many are willing to go the extra step and write the papers an intelligent position paper.  Three thousand plus members, lets see  how may step forward and are willing to be counted.  Or, will apathy rule the day. 

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
      Charlotte NC
      United States
      Member #17406
      June 18, 2005
      4053 Posts
      Posted: November 19, 2005, 10:23 am - IP Logged

TwitchI don't know enough about computerized drawings to even attempt to make an intelligent argument.  I think that goes for most NCarolians.  Ya'll have to remember that we've been brow beaten with this lottery issue.  I would venture to say that most of us are just glad to have a lottery. 

I would be glad to step up to the plate. 

takeemtothebank

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23262 Posts
        Posted: November 19, 2005, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

BTW, anyone looking for information about computerized drawings should first take a look at the petition at the top of the page.  That's a goo first primer.

Then, use the Search feature here at Lottery Post (forums menu) the search for topics with the word "computerized" in them.  You'll find lots and lots of useful info, especially in the past year.  (Make sure you're using all the various configuration options in the Search page to narrow your search appropriately.)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
          Member #119
          February 19, 2002
          527 Posts
          Posted: November 19, 2005, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

The best and only way to control or "stop" losses (and increase profitability) if you are the "State" is to put a computer in charge of your lotto drawings.

Why?

One, a computer (i.e., the person doing your software) can screen all the combinations before the "drawing" to make sure there are no winners, OR to make sure there are LESS winners than found in purely random drawings.

Two, your computer can hence increase the profitability of the State through the lotto by making sure fewer winners or no winners are selected.  These are only two among many reasons why we MUST OPPOSE ALL computerized drawings.

By the way, I have yet to read anywhere, including this forum, why computerized drawings are

a- better

b- make sense

Gee, I wonder why?  Is there a conspiracy to secretly combat randomness and the winners random occurrences produce?  Apparently, the ORIGINAL reason why lotteries were instituted in the first place-- to make money off randomness (both for the State and the player) has now become subordinated to the ability to CONTROL, through COMPUTERS, the number of winners, if any winners at all.

The messages ought to be these:

a- oppose ALL computerized drawings

b- "if you are a politician and you vote for or support (or do not oppose) computerized drawings, then you will be booted out of office."

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
            Charlotte NC
            United States
            Member #17406
            June 18, 2005
            4053 Posts
            Posted: November 19, 2005, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

TypeI sent a letter to all of NC newspapers. 

Now I'm if I can get the email addresses to the commission.

takeemtothebank