Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 3:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MA lottery definition of "millionaire"

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #972
December 30, 2002
465 Posts
Posted: November 21, 2005, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

From the MA lottery website:

>November 14, 2005- Karen Bianco of Lenoxdale is the Lottery’s newest millionaire. She won a $1,000,000 prize playing the Set for Life instant game. Bianco, pictured here with Lottery Executive Director Joseph C. Sullivan- her husband Paul and son CJ, is presented with the first of 20 annual payments of $50,000 (less taxes).

The only problem is she isn't a millionaire, which I would define as someone who has a million or more dollars after taxes.  Would you call someone who made $50,000 a year for 20 years a millionaire? I wouldn't.  But the MA lottery would.  Fire up the yacht, I'm practically a millionaire myself by their definition.  

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
    Member #12618
    March 18, 2005
    2060 Posts
    Posted: November 21, 2005, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion she isn't a millionaire, but many people think that a 1 million dollars automatically makes oneself a millionaire.

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: November 21, 2005, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

I think you know what my reaction is. NY also makes numerous people PHONY millionaires.

United States
        Member #972
        December 30, 2002
        465 Posts
        Posted: November 21, 2005, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

I think you have to be awarded about $1.66 million at one time to have a million dollars left after taxes. Even if she got a check for a million dollars, instead of the $50k a year for 20 years plan, she would only have about $650,000 after taxes.  Still not a millionaire.

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
          Member #4416
          April 22, 2004
          1075 Posts
          Posted: November 22, 2005, 4:28 am - IP Logged

It wouldn't matter one bit to me whether they called me a millionaire or not. The money is what matters. I think most everyone here at LP would be considerably better off winning $50,000 (less taxes) a year for the next twenty years. I know it's a lot more than I've ever won in all my years of playing the lottery games. I'm a person of modest means and desires, so that amount of money would be quite a windfall for me. Anyone who would turn up his nose at that amount of money must already be doing pretty well.

aye'

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
            Member #91
            January 19, 2002
            12013 Posts
            Posted: November 22, 2005, 8:15 am - IP Logged

I've grossed over a million dollars in my lifetime,,,I wouldn't call me a millionaire at all....more like a couple of hundredaire....

United States
              Member #972
              December 30, 2002
              465 Posts
              Posted: November 22, 2005, 11:04 am - IP Logged

I would be better off with any amount of money too, life would be a lot easier, and I wouldn't care if I were officially a millionaire or not. 

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                Magnolia, Delaware
                United States
                Member #18795
                July 20, 2005
                789 Posts
                Posted: November 22, 2005, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

Hey guys and gals look at the state it comes from in the first place! MA the Majority Democrat state! Everyone knows that's a joke in it's self! Ha Ha Ha! ROFL

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                  Member #12618
                  March 18, 2005
                  2060 Posts
                  Posted: November 23, 2005, 3:31 am - IP Logged

It wouldn't matter one bit to me whether they called me a millionaire or not. The money is what matters. I think most everyone here at LP would be considerably better off winning $50,000 (less taxes) a year for the next twenty years. I know it's a lot more than I've ever won in all my years of playing the lottery games. I'm a person of modest means and desires, so that amount of money would be quite a windfall for me. Anyone who would turn up his nose at that amount of money must already be doing pretty well.

aye'

I agree. I know I would be better off with $50,000 a year for 20 years. =)

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: November 23, 2005, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

Hey guys and gals look at the state it comes from in the first place! MA the Majority Democrat state! Everyone knows that's a joke in it's self! Ha Ha Ha! ROFL

The NY Lottery is the second most "corrupt" in the nation in terms of annuity-only prizes, and is also a "blue" state, although Gov George Pataki is a Republican.

New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #21206
                      September 4, 2005
                      949 Posts
                      Posted: November 23, 2005, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

If I were a Republican, which I'm not, I would be very careful about making representations about stretching the truth.  Last I looked, there were American soldiers, many of them fine men and women, being blown to bits in service to equally obvious lies. 

It is of course not a mystery that all lotteries misrepresent what winners actually get.  This is completely independent of the politics.  In fact that only state that I know of that has actually inflated a jackpot far beyond what was actually justified by the kitty is Texas. 

http://www.kvue.com/news/election/stories/103005ccjrkvuepollottery.10f5aa1e.html

Some people, including the publisher of Lottery Report, actually suspect that the interplay of political corruption and lotteries is in some places far worse than the long standing and well known practice of defining what does and does not define a "millionaire."  http://www.lottoreport.com/gtechbush.htm

The use of the word "millionaire" has never inspired me to buy a lottery ticket.  Like many people I distinguish between advertising and reality.  I may buy a product irrespective of the nature of the advertisment - even when I know advertising is deliberately false.  The best thinkers do not rely on advertising to make judgements.  They find out the truth on their own.

In case you don't know by the way, the Governor of Massachusetts, who bears direct adminstrative responsibility for the Massachusetts lottery, is a Republican, Mitt Romney.

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: December 20, 2005, 9:57 am - IP Logged

No US lottery misrepresents the true meaning of "millionaire" as MA and NY do. There are scattered annuity-only scratch games in other states.

Montreal
                          Canada
                          Member #28622
                          December 19, 2005
                          14 Posts
                          Posted: December 21, 2005, 3:06 am - IP Logged

Does anyone know how it works with Canada's 6/49 or super 7?

United States
                            Member #379
                            June 5, 2002
                            11296 Posts
                            Posted: December 22, 2005, 9:37 am - IP Logged

Does anyone know how it works with Canada's 6/49 or super 7?

Your question is off-topic.