Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Winner Found Dead

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by lchoro.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
Yinzer Country, PA
United States
Member #4067
March 18, 2004
2741 Posts
Posted: November 26, 2005, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/26/powerball.death.ap/index.html

That's where I got the story.  If the link doesn't work, try entering it in manually.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
    A long and winding road
    United States
    Member #17084
    June 10, 2005
    4525 Posts
    Posted: November 26, 2005, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

Hmm...interesting story. Makes one wonder the cause of death. Thanks for linking that news Doc.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #1303
      March 27, 2003
      1508 Posts
      Posted: November 27, 2005, 11:09 am - IP Logged

Oh well...every Power Ball winner is going to die eventually. Some sooner than others.  But then, so will all the rest of us who haven't won it.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
        Member #567
        August 14, 2002
        482 Posts
        Posted: November 27, 2005, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

Mark Metcalf, her husband, was the person who bought the winning quick pick ticket and split the prize with his wife 60/40 (I know this, because I used to read the winners' stories from the old Powerball website before MUSL renovated the website last year).  But I didn't know that Mark Metcalf had already died two years ago.   

It makes you wonder though..... What if they had never won?  Would they still be alive today?  What does everyone else here at Lottery Post think about this?

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

konane's avatar - wallace
          Atlanta, GA
          United States
          Member #1265
          March 13, 2003
          3333 Posts
          Posted: November 27, 2005, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

What if each of their dreams was to be rich before they died and simply were able to fulfill that desire before leaving? 

I don't see that money and death have a direct relationship unless someone is so stressed from having a huge amount to manage overnight and that stress is a direct precipitating factor in their death.

Good luck to everyone!

United States
            Member #23787
            October 16, 2005
            68 Posts
            Posted: November 27, 2005, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

I posted following in some other thread, which I thought may be useful to the readers of this thread.  Getting sudden money seems simple to deal with but the truth is that one may have to change himself/herselves.

Although there are many articles/news items/suggestions on what to do when one wins big.. But there are things which many people ignore. Sure, hiring/consulting a lawyer will help but it will not help to improve ones attitude/behavior which puts one in trouble. What it means is that it will save you from others but not from yourself. Lawyer will help one hide  ones dark side but it will drain ones money. So the summary is one needs both a lawyer and ones own attitude to survive in long term.
            Next advice is to hire/consult financial planner. In this case also if you are not yourself financial literate, chances are that financial planner's advice will ruin you (if he is not very close/known to you). His rating will not suffer because his advice bankrupted you because no one will believe a loser. Financial planner would like to make a fast profit out of ones ignorance. So where does this leave one? I think that there are few things one can try to do. Learn/try to gain as much financial litercay as possible in a reasonable amount of time. Also one should create/find/discover few good people in profession financial/legal who can be part of their inner circle and they should not only be his advisors but a friend also in which he can trust.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
              Member #12618
              March 18, 2005
              2060 Posts
              Posted: November 27, 2005, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Well at least they both got to work on some of their dreams before they both passed on. A lot of people don't get to do that. And Badger is right. Everyone is going to die, even Powerball winners.

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
                Member #5565
                July 11, 2004
                260 Posts
                Posted: November 27, 2005, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

It's a good thing that they chose cash.  They made at least one person in this world happy before they passed away.  I wonder if the tenant knew she was a Powerball winner.  One has to be careful about who they tell as they become a marked target for lawsuits.  Some will sue figuring that you'll settle out of court rather than put up with the hassle or the added expense of going to court.

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: November 27, 2005, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

Admit it- how many of you thought the same thing I did when you saw the headline-"Powerball winner found dead "

You thought it was Jack Whittaker, didn't you ?

lottobrain's avatar - box
                    Smyrna, DE
                    United States
                    Member #10074
                    January 1, 2005
                    125 Posts
                    Posted: November 27, 2005, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

Yes DoubleDown....that was my first thought.......and it wasn't to far away from him!

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8360 Posts
                      Posted: November 27, 2005, 5:31 pm - IP Logged
                      Death however profound is usually an untimely event. Regardless of your worth, personal gain or faults. Many could have lived longer. Hence the term if I knew I would have lived this long I would have taken better care of myself. People are born to die this is a fact of life. Winning a major jackpot should for all intensive purposes provide the winners with the ability to pay for any type medical care. If anything wealthy people could and should live longer providing they don't come in harms way. Unless of course they don't take care of themselves or are stricken with one of the hundreds of illness that can't be cured. In these peoples cases it seems as though something was amiss.

The ideal logical aspect of life is to live to a ripe old age and die from natural causes. Or of complications of old age. But we all know that just isn't the case for many of us.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                        Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #1303
                        March 27, 2003
                        1508 Posts
                        Posted: November 27, 2005, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

Mark Metcalf, her husband, was the person who bought the winning quick pick ticket and split the prize with his wife 60/40 (I know this, because I used to read the winners' stories from the old Powerball website before MUSL renovated the website last year).  But I didn't know that Mark Metcalf had already died two years ago.   

It makes you wonder though..... What if they had never won?  Would they still be alive today?  What does everyone else here at Lottery Post think about this?

From what I read it sounded like he had a drug problem, and he had that problem before he won the lottery. So if he had that problem, I figure he would have had the same problem lottery win or not.

Although they didn't say "oficially", it sounds like she may just have died from natural causes. If so, there's no reason to think it wouldn't have happened whether she won the PB or not.

At least they had the experience of winning it and seeing what life was like afterwards. But I doubt anything would have been different if they had not won it, in terms of them still being alive. The only difference would be that their heirs (I'm assuming there are some) would not be in good financial shape now.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                          Member #12618
                          March 18, 2005
                          2060 Posts
                          Posted: November 27, 2005, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Admit it- how many of you thought the same thing I did when you saw the headline-"Powerball winner found dead "

Yeah, but if it had been Jack I bet there would have been a lot more articles about him.

Dance like no one is watching.

Coastal Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #2653
                            October 30, 2003
                            1866 Posts
                            Posted: November 27, 2005, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, but if it had been Jack I bet there would have been a lot more articles about him.

Exactly, but yet and still my first thoughts were of 'ol Jack........

United States
                              Member #5565
                              July 11, 2004
                              260 Posts
                              Posted: December 5, 2005, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

It looks like the availability of money and the need to no longer work allowed them to over-indulge in their vices to the point where it caused their premature death.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Any problems people have, money magnifies it so much, it's unbelievable," said Robert Merida, one of Merida's three brothers.

Metcalf's first wife, Marilyn Collin, said: "If he hadn't won, he would have worked like regular people and maybe had 20 years left. But when you put that kind of money in the hands of somebody with problems, it just helps them kill themselves."

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1205unhappy-lottery03-ON.html