Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

WARNING: NY King Kong scratch

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: December 2, 2005, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Top prize paid in TWENTY-FIVE yearly installments (320k per.) If you MUST buy a King Kong ticket, play King Kong Millions, which is at $55 million with a cash option and will be drawn 12/5.

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: December 2, 2005, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

$320K? That's good money, especially when I'll be getting the same amount next year. Just put $100K per year from that into CD's and bonds, and I'll be set even past the 25 years. That's a good prize annuity or not. But then again, the odds are pretty high so what's the point of complaining. You won't be winning it.

(insert signature here)

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: December 3, 2005, 9:41 am - IP Logged

$320K? That's good money, especially when I'll be getting the same amount next year. Just put $100K per year from that into CD's and bonds, and I'll be set even past the 25 years. That's a good prize annuity or not. But then again, the odds are pretty high so what's the point of complaining. You won't be winning it.

Of course I won't be winning it. I'm not playing it. You'd think it would be better to buy a $10 scratch ticket than 10 singles, but in NY that's clearly not the case.

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49674 Posts
        Posted: December 3, 2005, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Of course I won't be winning it. I'm not playing it. You'd think it would be better to buy a $10 scratch ticket than 10 singles, but in NY that's clearly not the case.

Move to a place where the Lottery is more to your liking.

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: December 3, 2005, 10:06 am - IP Logged

I visit Connecticut at least once a week. Their lottery is not corrupt like NY's.

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49674 Posts
            Posted: December 3, 2005, 10:31 am - IP Logged

I visit Connecticut at least once a week. Their lottery is not corrupt like NY's.

You should report the corruption.

United States
              Member #379
              June 5, 2002
              11296 Posts
              Posted: December 3, 2005, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

You should report the corruption.

Unfortunately AFAIK it's still legal for lotteries to force certain winners to receive annuity payments in lieu of cash. The bill signed in 1998 by President Clinton (the 60-day rule) did not go far enough. It should have required ALL lotteries to give ALL winners the option of taking a lump sum if the prize is advertised as an annuity.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                Member #12618
                March 18, 2005
                2060 Posts
                Posted: December 3, 2005, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

$320,000 a year for 25 years isn't too shabby. I'd take it. It's more then I make in a year.

Dance like no one is watching.

United States
                  Member #379
                  June 5, 2002
                  11296 Posts
                  Posted: December 4, 2005, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

$320,000 a year for 25 years isn't too shabby. I'd take it. It's more then I make in a year.

You should be criticizing the fact it's annuity-only. What would you do if Powerball still didn't have a cash option?

United States
                    Member #12618
                    March 18, 2005
                    2060 Posts
                    Posted: December 4, 2005, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

If Powerball was still annuity only I would probably still play. I just prefer to have my winnings in Cash.

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: December 4, 2005, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

If Powerball was still annuity only I would probably still play. I just prefer to have my winnings in Cash.

Since we both prefer cash you should also be boycotting annuity-only games.

United States
                        Member #12618
                        March 18, 2005
                        2060 Posts
                        Posted: December 4, 2005, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

The only games I play are Powerball, Wild Card 2 and Pick 3 and every once in a while I'll pick up a scratch-off. I think some of the scratch-offs are annuity only, but I don't play them that often. SO I guess I am on the side of Cash. =)

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: December 4, 2005, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

The only games I play are Powerball, Wild Card 2 and Pick 3 and every once in a while I'll pick up a scratch-off. I think some of the scratch-offs are annuity only, but I don't play them that often. SO I guess I am on the side of Cash. =)

belly:

You need to find out if the scratches (including "lifetime" games) are annuity-only, and, if so, NEVER play them. (OR Lose for Life is also forbidden.) It's not enough to play them less often. BOYCOTT.

United States
                            Member #12618
                            March 18, 2005
                            2060 Posts
                            Posted: December 4, 2005, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

belly:

You need to find out if the scratches (including "lifetime" games) are annuity-only, and, if so, NEVER play them. (OR Lose for Life is also forbidden.) It's not enough to play them less often. BOYCOTT.

Usually the for life games (which are annuity-only) are about 10 bucks so I don't play those. I usually play the $1 or $2 scratch-offs which pay all in cash. So I guess I do play all cash games. =)

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: December 11, 2005, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

belly:

Usually the for life games (which are annuity-only) are about 10 bucks so I don't play those. I usually play the $1 or $2 scratch-offs which pay all in cash. So I guess I do play all cash games. =)

In NY all the $1s and $2s are good except for $2 Lose for Life. You really start to have problems with the  $5s. Forget about the $10s.