Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It's gonna be a Powerball Christmas again

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 11 years ago by weshar75.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23352 Posts
Posted: December 12, 2005, 6:49 am - IP Logged

...Or maybe even a Powerball New Year.

It looks like we're going to have a repeat of Christmas '02, when Jack W. won that big prize.

The Powerball jackpot on Christmas Eve, assuming nobody hits between now and then, will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $180 - $200 million.  Maybe more with all the Powerball tickets given as presents.

It's nice that the drawing will take place the night before Christmas, so someone could possibly wake up, logon to USA Mega to check the results, and come away with the best Christmas present ever!

If nobody wins on Christmas, we could be looking at a tremendous New Year's prize.  Can you imagine ringing in the New Year after winning $300 million?  I sure can!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - rsz 1franklinmillion-front.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11339 Posts
    Posted: December 12, 2005, 7:16 am - IP Logged

hopefully it will be a lottery post member who wins.that would make a great gift!

New Jersey
      United States
      Member #21206
      September 4, 2005
      949 Posts
      Posted: December 12, 2005, 11:35 am - IP Logged

It's almost 50:50 for this run to last until Christmas, when one bases it on the sales from the last (annuity based) record Powerball pot.

However there is a less than 50% probability that the jackpot will be won before then.

Here is the probability breakdown for what occurred on the last run, using the sales data from www.lottoreport.com.  The first column is the annuity jackpot, the second column is the probability of that particular jackpot rolling, and the third is the probability of that jackpot and all previous jackpots rolling:

$340 32.17%7.70%
      $300 52.66%14.63%
      $240 64.85%22.56%
      $205 70.99%31.78%
      $180 77.79%40.85%
      $167 79.57%51.33%
      $148 82.61%62.14%
      $126 83.80%74.16%
      $108 86.11%86.11%

Using this as a model we see that 4 more rolls is about even; more than 4 rolls is possible, but increasingly less probable.

md
        United States
        Member #14047
        April 20, 2005
        580 Posts
        Posted: December 12, 2005, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

I just noticed today that Xmas Eve is Saturday the 24th.  I brought my tickets for the next 4 rolls, so that I would not have to deal with lines.  That would be awesome to win on Xmas Eve.  To all L<P members be sure to put the 25th in your picks somewhere.  It might help!

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #2338
          September 17, 2003
          2063 Posts
          Posted: December 12, 2005, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

It's got a long ways to go before it gets to a record. I would think it would be big (300+) after the new year. Euromillions is actually more likely to break a record as of now than Powerball.

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: December 12, 2005, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

It looks like we're going to have a repeat of Christmas '02, when Jack W. won that big prize.

The Powerball jackpot on Christmas Eve, assuming nobody hits between now and then, will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $180 - $200 million.  Maybe more with all the Powerball tickets given as presents.

It's nice that the drawing will take place the night before Christmas, so someone could possibly wake up, logon to USA Mega to check the results, and come away with the best Christmas present ever!

If nobody wins on Christmas, we could be looking at a tremendous New Year's prize.  Can you imagine ringing in the New Year after winning $300 million?  I sure can!

Xmas falls on a Sunday this year, so if PB tickets are to be bought as stocking stuffers, they would have to be bought early in the morning following the Xmas Eve draw.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - rsz 1franklinmillion-front.jpg
              Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11339 Posts
              Posted: December 13, 2005, 6:51 am - IP Logged

i never have tried the multiplay feature where you can play so many weeks at a time.think i'll try it and see if i have any luck.....

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23352 Posts
                Posted: December 13, 2005, 9:18 am - IP Logged

Xmas falls on a Sunday this year, so if PB tickets are to be bought as stocking stuffers, they would have to be bought early in the morning following the Xmas Eve draw.

I don't think so at all.  I would do the opposite of what you're suggesting, and give tickets for the previous evening's drawing (Dec. 24).  You can get your gift Sunday morning and immediately check the results, just like a scratch game.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                  A long and winding road
                  United States
                  Member #17084
                  June 10, 2005
                  4581 Posts
                  Posted: December 13, 2005, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

When playin more then one playdate, they just duplicate the same series of numbers (sets).

Since I live quite a distance from the Megamillion states, I go there once a month and do my four weeks of play ahead of time. Rarely have I won on the same series of numbers....

Yet, in my powerball state, I review and systematically pick the wrong numbers all by myself! :) There is something to be said about causing my own misery then allowing a computer to do it Wink

My hope is that its hit by two different state ticket holders. May my state be one of them!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                    Mcminnville, Oregon
                    United States
                    Member #3013
                    December 13, 2003
                    3095 Posts
                    Posted: December 13, 2005, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

I hope that the powerball comes to Oregon again on the 14th of December so I can have a nice christmas.