Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

wheeling question??

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 11 years ago by LottoVantage.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #11733
February 22, 2005
52 Posts
Posted: December 14, 2005, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

This question is for anyone to answer, i would appreciate it.

i am wheeling 14 numbers out of 35 for a state lottery and the win guarantee is- if i get 5 numbers within my wheel group i win 1 ticket for a 3 number hit. because the minimum win isn't really much and i am trying to hit the 5 number win to get the first prize anyways. then would it be just as good to play a wheel that wheels 20 numbers, even though the win minimum is totally nothing and again i am looking for the first prize anyways.

the 14 # wheel=$14.00

the 20 # wheel=$8.00

again the win minimum is better on the 14 number wheel, but not that good. so should i take the extra 6 chances and just hope that every time we get all 5 in our group it matches on the ticket, or is there something that i am missing and that less number wheel might be better even though there is less numbers. yes i know the maximum possibility is better on the 14#wheel, but maybe the arrangement is different i don't know. It just seems to me that both wheels whatever it spits out for the numbers they both have the same chance to win evenly over the other. 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23260 Posts
    Posted: December 14, 2005, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

There is no right answer on this, it is mainly your personal preference and budget.  I would suggest testing both wheels for a while before actually playing one or the other.  Also, be sure to read up on the wheels page here at Lottery Post, and check out some of the advanced wheels offered to premium members. Good luck.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3102 Posts
      Posted: December 15, 2005, 2:09 am - IP Logged

The idea is the 3# win means you have 100% guaranteed at least a 3# win if you have 5 winning numbers among the 14 giving you a 3# foundation where you now only need to have 2 additional numbers on the same line to get the prize you want.

When we use a wheel with less then a 100% guarantee we call that an Open Cover Wheel Design as opposed to a Closed Cover Wheel Design.  Often 90% coverage of the guarantee can cut the cost of the wheel by a third to half for assuming a small amount of risk. 

If you take a 100% wheel and filter out even 1 combination, it becomes an Open Cover Wheel, so as you can see, there is nothing wrong with playing this way.

Odds are good of a wheel winning one prize tier above it's guarantee closed or high percentage open cover, so if you are trying for a 5# prize you need to play a wheel that wins you a 4# prize not a 3# prize.

Open Cover for Pick-6 is here no Pick-5. http://www.lotto-logix.com/wheeling.html

BobP

United States
        Member #11733
        February 22, 2005
        52 Posts
        Posted: December 15, 2005, 9:12 am - IP Logged

thanx for the replys as for going for the 4#win it does have the possibility for both wheels to win a few tickets up to 4 numbers. Of course to get that win guarantee of 4 on a guarantee i would have to play and spend quite a bit more or play a lot less numbers which i am not ready to do yet. thanx again.

LottoVantage's avatar - BRITIS 3.GIF
          Southeastern Ohio
          United States
          Member #13850
          April 16, 2005
          783 Posts
          Posted: December 15, 2005, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

I have back-tested 3if5 wheels in the past and can recall having hit all 5 numbers a few times. This is not the standard, but if everything is right, it is entirely possible to capture all 5 numbers using a 3if5 wheel.

Good luck,

LottoVantage