Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Multi-dimensional analysis

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 11 years ago by konane.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Midwest
United States
Member #9902
December 26, 2004
12 Posts
Posted: December 16, 2005, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

It's not just for mystics anymore apparently.

In past issues of Scientific American, many scientists argued as to whether multi-dimensional theory was correct at all. Subsequent editions seemed to suggest that it's probably true, but is a matter of discovering which theory is the most correct.

Now according to some scientists, it appears that they could all be correct, but are merely different aspects of the same thing. And if they can replicate miniature black holes in a pending-contruction particle accelerator, science may for the first time in the history of the human race have tangible proof that we exist in more than merely three dimensions. 

Some philosophers have said something to the effect that it's not what we see so much as how we see it; that such is a matter of "perspective." Such has always been accepted in the realms of psychology and philosophy; but never in "hard" science.

But are such views now merely outdated 19th century science that still instinctively thinks matter a "solid" object?

What if they were outdated?

Scientists have been able to extrapolate the hypercube; a cube as it would appear in fourth-dimensional space. Mathematicians been able to extrapolate what soap bubbles would look like in dimensions that exceed our own.

Could such multi-dimensional extrapolation be similarly applied to the prediction of random numbers?

And if so  how?

Is it only impossible and literally "random" when one is limited to methods that only avail themselves of three dimensions? Would the addition of X amount of dimensions to the analysis make it more understandable?

K64

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
    Member #13130
    March 30, 2005
    2171 Posts
    Posted: December 17, 2005, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Mathematicians tend to describe things to make them sound more complex than they really are. Its job security. Any independent aspect of the numbers may be considered as a separate dimension.

Range, deltas, skips, & temperature can be considered different dimensions. Considering these (and others) will provide you with more info. regarding your numbers. Not every filter is a good one. Remember what "The Gambler" said; know what to throw away, know what to keep.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Midwest
      United States
      Member #9902
      December 26, 2004
      12 Posts
      Posted: December 17, 2005, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

Mathematicians tend to describe things to make them sound more complex than they really are. Its job security. Any independent aspect of the numbers may be considered as a separate dimension.

Range, deltas, skips, & temperature can be considered different dimensions. Considering these (and others) will provide you with more info. regarding your numbers. Not every filter is a good one. Remember what "The Gambler" said; know what to throw away, know what to keep.

I'm not a mathematician, so I cannot comment on the assertions in your first paragraph. Although I believe that there's some truth in what you've written. It's human nature to protect one's assets.

As for the second paragraph:

It depends on one's definition of the word dimension:

One may correctly use the word dimension as a synonym for aspect, element or facet; as in "mean, median and mode are three dimensions of statistical analysis."

Alternately, as in the Scientific American, one may also correctly use the word dimension  to  denote a literal, quantitative and objective phenomena: as in "string theory posits at least one objectively-existing dimension beyond those of the usual three: height, width and breadth that scientists hope to detect by creating a miniature black hole with a particle accelerator."

Both are correct uses of the word dimension; however, clearly these two alternate meanings of the word are not interchangeable and would result in unintentional equivocation.

K64

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: December 17, 2005, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

I would say we exist in at least 4 dimensions, but that is an aside. I would agree that the two meanings of "dimension" are not exactly interchangeable, but I doubt lottery balls or RNGs have much to do with black holes or soap bubbles in a way that is very useful to those of us outside of CERN. I chose the other meaning because, in my opinion, it is more related. I was addressing your specific questions.

Could such multi-dimensional extrapolation be similarly applied to the prediction of random numbers? Yes, but it doesn't mean you use the EXACT SAME types of dimensions as someone building a skyscraper.

And if so how? By considering other dimensions (aspects) of the games numbers.

Is it only impossible and literally "random" when one is limited to methods that only avail themselves of three dimensions? No, some people are doing quite well by other methods. And no, because not all drawings are physical (machines). In the latter case, mechanics may not apply at all. <-- Well, maybe quantum ones Wink

Your last question regarding adding more dimensions to the problem was answered above. I would only add that it is important to use those dimensions/facets most related to the thing you are analyizing. Otherwise, you could make things less understandable.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

BuzzsawAnn's avatar - nw shadow.jpg
          CHICAGO
          United States
          Member #28557
          December 18, 2005
          111 Posts
          Posted: January 4, 2006, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

How interesting- I saw this show on PBS- and those particles didn't behave in the prescribed fashion- and things were very curious for those particles- stepping through walls- going backwards and forward at the same moment.

Just think if you could manifest light to go ahead one day and get the numbers for the past day you might have something-

Of course as  I remember, these particles did not move in a predictable pattern they gave random a whole new dimension.

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: January 4, 2006, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

While you're getting future winning lottery numbers, could you pick me up a Wall Street Journal
             too? Just like that show, First Edition. Wink
            Seriously, you would run into the "many worlds" problem. You may get the winning numbers, but from a slightly different worldline. This is why many people do a 'workout' only to come in one number off.

Amazing Grace's avatar - lion
              rainbow lake
              Canada
              Member #25177
              November 2, 2005
              10764 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2006, 12:35 am - IP Logged

If we continue to come in one number off then why dont we add or subtract at that time. That will bring us to tomorrow?

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2006, 2:53 am - IP Logged

Unfortunately, there are 3 (or 4) numbers which can be 1 up or 1 down. Also, in the other worldlines, the winner has to be in your state. Plenty of people have played a number, only to see it fall straight... in the state next door. There are plenty of people still plugging away at it though. http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/126309

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: January 21, 2006, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

Just picked up the latest issue of Sci. Am.
                  Thought provoking to say the least.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                    Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #1340
                    April 6, 2003
                    2450 Posts
                    Posted: January 22, 2006, 9:03 am - IP Logged

manifesting light, acceleration actually... that was the big deal in the movie "paycheck" where at the end ben affleck had a 90 million dollar lottery ticket played that he seen beforehand...

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                      Beautiful Florida
                      United States
                      Member #5709
                      July 18, 2004
                      20126 Posts
                      Posted: January 22, 2006, 9:34 am - IP Logged

I think it was Howars Hughes who once said "people make things complex", when the answer lies right before your eye's........        Hence "Einsteins" theory  E= MC2 was right before his eye's.    correct?

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

konane's avatar - wallace
                        Atlanta, GA
                        United States
                        Member #1265
                        March 13, 2003
                        3333 Posts
                        Posted: January 22, 2006, 10:14 am - IP Logged

I think it was Howars Hughes who once said "people make things complex", when the answer lies right before your eye's........        Hence "Einsteins" theory  E= MC2 was right before his eye's.    correct?

I Agree! 

My comments belong more in the mystical forum but here goes ....  when meditating deeply a person is able to go beyond space and time to access what has been termed as the "universal mind" where all information that has ever been or will be known is available .... including lottery numbers.  This type of meditation is more like remote viewing which takes practice, intent and perserverence to bring it about.  I've done it so know it is possible.

Regarding Maddog10's comments above when meditating deeply without constraints of space and time you are in effect mentally traveling forward or backward at will, at the speed of light. Just because someone is not in a lab setting doesn't make it any less part of concrete reality.

Another "mystical" thread comment regarding dimensions is that I've read that instead of humans having 2 strands of DNA, we have 12 strands.  The "junk" DNA scientists see are being reconnected as we advance and those strands are what connects us to other dimensions we are not aware of.  12 strands of DNA, 12 dimensions.  There are probably more, or sub-dimensions of the major ones.  For linear thinkers, simply allow the possibility of dimensions until we're able to prove existence as fact.

Theory perhaps but we'll see as science catches up with what mystics have known for thousands of years.  Were there not validity they wouldn't be working so diligently to come up with a repeatable experiment to offer "proof."    

Good luck to everyone!