Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 4:32 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Upgraded the editor -- everything working OK?

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 11 years ago by truecritic.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Alabama
United States
Member #17830
June 27, 2005
309 Posts
Posted: December 18, 2005, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

Hi Todd, I just used the editor and everything seems to be working well for me (as well as can be expected on dial up, that is!).

Thanks again for all your hard work in keeping Lottery Post the premier lottery web site on the 'net!  You deserve a raise!  Big Grin

Check out the benefits of a Lottery Post Premium Membership!

Want to know more?  >> Click Here <<

Read what Platinum Members have to say:  << Click Here >> 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23353 Posts
    Posted: December 18, 2005, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Hi Todd, I just used the editor and everything seems to be working well for me (as well as can be expected on dial up, that is!).

Thanks again for all your hard work in keeping Lottery Post the premier lottery web site on the 'net!  You deserve a raise!  Big Grin

I sympathize with anyone still using dial-up.  I can't imagine what that must be like, it's been so long since I had to endure a slow connection like that.  I hope you're able to go high-speed sometime soon -- once you do, you'll wonder how you managed without it.

The funny thing about getting a raise is that even if I gave myself a 50% raise, 50% times zero is still zero! Wink

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Sandy K's avatar - graphic pub.jpg
      Clarkston, Michigan
      United States
      Member #76
      January 6, 2002
      8528 Posts
      Posted: December 18, 2005, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

Todd, just telling Zippy in the Michigan thread that we take so much for granted......then when we lose it....we realize it.  Wow what a difference when I didn't have the Rich Text Editor.....

Here was my process.

First I cleared my cache.

Then I went and unchecked the RTE.  Then I restarted my computer.

Then I read your post and went back in and checked the RTE and it worked.

Why I gave you the process I used is because I restarted my computer....might of made a difference.

Sandy

Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23353 Posts
        Posted: December 18, 2005, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for posting that Sandy.  Hopefully, anyone else having trouble will see it and be able to get their PC in order.  The most important part is clearing your browser cache, although I do admit that a restart often clears up a "computer headache" sometimes.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
          FEMA Region V Camp #21
          United States
          Member #520
          July 27, 2002
          5699 Posts
          Posted: December 18, 2005, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

I haven't had the use of text editing (without code), emoticons or the text editing bar for a couple months now. I just gave up on worrying about it but will try the suggestions in the thread. I did clear my temporary internet files to no advantage.

I feel that all internet processes are about two (or more) steps ahead of the average Joe. I still use Windows 98 and a dial-up connection. Shame on me but when you can't afford the best you gotta do with what you got....and I just will not succumb to the "every 18 months technology doubles" theory and that therefore I am obliged to buy into it. My income has decreased by 50% in that time, so if I have to go back to the old pencil and paper, so be it. It worked before and will probably work again.

Meanwhile I'll be printing in this format and my emoticons will be the old fashioned ones. :)

But thanks to Todd for trying to rectify this.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23353 Posts
            Posted: December 18, 2005, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

Rick,

Maybe it's because you're running Windows 98, I don't know.

At the very least you should go to the Board Settings page and disable the Rich Text Editor, so that you can use the lightweight editor.  That way, you can change fonts, colors, bolding, etc., and add emoticons.  That editor should work well with all web browsers.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
              FEMA Region V Camp #21
              United States
              Member #520
              July 27, 2002
              5699 Posts
              Posted: December 18, 2005, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

I will do that and thanks to you and all the other members for their suggestions.

As an aside, it reminds me of when I had a Timex computer circa 1980 and used "Source" as my internet connection and was able to program my own things in Basic. The Timex was about 8" X 6" and had a total of 2 meg hard drive memory.

lol...funny how far we've come. I get a kick out of it. My $3.00 calculator today has more power.

So I'll give your suggestions a try.

I'm hoping my sons will give me a new computer for Christmas. That's another joke!

Later...(and really laughing out loud after the last paragraph!...ain't gonna happen...looks like shirt and socks again...maybe some boxers? ha, ha!)

Rick

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19901 Posts
                Posted: December 18, 2005, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

My computer screen work slow some times but it not because my computer is not working.  I have a dial-up connection and the little screen in the lower right corner is lighting up show my INTERNET connection is communicating and the light on hard drive is going off and on, so I know something is happening just not what I want to happen.  Since I bought this computer I have down loaded weather monitor, desktop indexer, time checker and other so call convenience programs which I know are taking over my machine at time and I have to wait for them to do their thing. I have two choices, find and remove them if I can or put up with their nuisances.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8394 Posts
                  Posted: December 18, 2005, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

If you have old pc you need to clear the cache, history and temporary Internet files. And de frag the hard drive. Then reboot. older pc's don't have the onboard memory to handle lots of stuff we do on pcs today. Every time you load a webpage or type something your using up memory. Not to include all the things that might be running in the background. you migh consider adding some aditional memory. or disabling some of the programs running in the background. i know the new aol optimized 9.0 has about 4 maybe 5 additional programs running in the back ground . if you disable them then they don't function properly. if you using aol you might want to go back to an older version of it.

outside of those things getting cable or dsl might help. but the only real solution is to buy a newer pc with some onbord memory at least 256k. i had a 125 in my old unit 2 yrs ago and was lucky to stay online and hour or two. then i went to 250 and things work ok for about a year. My old ctx pc is hurting bad now barly gets logged on to the internet. 

This low end newer pc runs circles around my old clunker even on dial up. (compac pasario) $499 after rebates.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #22395
                    September 24, 2005
                    1583 Posts
                    Posted: December 18, 2005, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

OK, just booted up clean (all cache + lots more are cleaned on boot-up).
                    I opened the Home page and this thread. No RTE. The yellow error symbol is
                    the same as I previously posted.

I also am dial-up. Windows 98se. IE6. However, I can tell you none of that should be the cause. Because as I stated in my previous post, I open up multiple windows of IE. Say I open 3 total. 1 or 2 might have the RTE while the 3rd one doesn't. If the problem was caused by the OS, it would be consistant - all 3 windows would either have or not have RTE.

So, right now I have the Home Page open and this window. I'll open 3 more windows right now and see what result....

Additional window #1 - RTE. Everything good.
                    Additional window #2 - No RTE.
                    Additional window #3 - No RTE

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23353 Posts
                      Posted: December 18, 2005, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

My computer screen work slow some times but it not because my computer is not working.  I have a dial-up connection and the little screen in the lower right corner is lighting up show my INTERNET connection is communicating and the light on hard drive is going off and on, so I know something is happening just not what I want to happen.  Since I bought this computer I have down loaded weather monitor, desktop indexer, time checker and other so call convenience programs which I know are taking over my machine at time and I have to wait for them to do their thing. I have two choices, find and remove them if I can or put up with their nuisances.

Not sure if you've done this already, but if not you should download and run Adaware, which is a great spyware removal tool.  It's available at www.lavasoft.com.  It helps determine which of those "helper" programs is spyware -- and gets rid of them.

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23353 Posts
                        Posted: December 18, 2005, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

OK, just booted up clean (all cache + lots more are cleaned on boot-up).
                        I opened the Home page and this thread. No RTE. The yellow error symbol is
                        the same as I previously posted.

I also am dial-up. Windows 98se. IE6. However, I can tell you none of that should be the cause. Because as I stated in my previous post, I open up multiple windows of IE. Say I open 3 total. 1 or 2 might have the RTE while the 3rd one doesn't. If the problem was caused by the OS, it would be consistant - all 3 windows would either have or not have RTE.

So, right now I have the Home Page open and this window. I'll open 3 more windows right now and see what result....

Additional window #1 - RTE. Everything good.
                        Additional window #2 - No RTE.
                        Additional window #3 - No RTE

Believe it or not, it may yet be a Windows 98 issue.  It doesn't sound like a browser issue, since the browser is able to show the RTE in one or two of thew windows.  Here are some possibilities I can think of:

• Memory problem (OS-related) - since the RTE is a complicated program, it does take up a chunk of OS memory.  Windows 98 does not have anywhere as good memory management as Windows XP.  Plus, if you're still using Win98, that means you have a pretty old PC, so it probably has weak memory -- just a guess.
                        • Firewall-related - maybe you have software that is sometimes seeing the RTE as a threat and is blocking it.  Try completely disabling any firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, and internet security software, and then try again.  After you run the test, re-enable everything so that you're protected again.
                        • It could be a speed issue, possibly combined with low memory.  Maybe one of those things that if you left the page open for a long time, it would eventually load the RTE.  In that case, you just plain need to upgrade your PC if you intend on opening multiple RTEs at once.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #22395
                          September 24, 2005
                          1583 Posts
                          Posted: December 19, 2005, 1:18 am - IP Logged

Todd,

What you state, is possible.  However, I can play most games requiring javascript - can you make a judgement call if those take more juice than your RTE?  Also, I haven't ever had a RTE/HTML editor at any other site that failed to come up not working.  I am not saying that to make you feel bad, only that I don't have the problem elsewhere.

Your site is intensive.  And since your home page isn't static, things move a little slow with several windows open and constant refreshing.

Approx 30% of users are still on Win95/98/ME - the bulk of the remaining 70% are XP.  You are correct that XP handles resources differently.  My resources run anywhere from approx 80% down to 60%.  But I haven't had any low resource warnings. I use Ram Booster and it reports how much free memory I have at any given time - seems to be OK with a few megs to spare.

Spyware/virus/trojan/worms are not a problem.

Incidently, I recommend Spybot Search and Destroy over Adaware.  But either is good - and actually people can load and run both.  Combined they will handle most malware.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Have disabled firewall, anti-virus, pop-up blockers and tested - no difference.

Reinstalled/repaired IE 6. 

So far, the only work around I have is to click Refresh or Go (repeatedly).  It is hit or miss.

No sense spending a lifetime trying to debug it.  If the problem remains for only a few users, I, for one can continue to function without it (or I can revert to the basic editor).