Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 11:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How well do you EXCEL?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Rate your level of expertise with Microsoft Excel (any version)

Zen Master [ 1 ]  [2.86%]
Grasshopper (very good but still learning) [ 8 ]  [22.86%]
O.K. but need help sometimes [ 6 ]  [17.14%]
just getting into it [ 12 ]  [34.29%]
Excel? we don't need no stinkin' Excel [ 8 ]  [22.86%]
Total Valid Votes [ 35 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 9 ]  
hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
Pennsylvania
United States
Member #1340
April 6, 2003
2450 Posts
Posted: December 18, 2005, 11:49 am - IP Logged

let's get an overall feel for the talent pool. I  think we may just have one of the best messageboard excel subculture outside of a IT board

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

lottaloot's avatar - AvatarZ56
    Redford/MI
    United States
    Member #3396
    January 18, 2004
    4867 Posts
    Posted: December 18, 2005, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

I wish we could have more excel interaction/tutorials, etc. 

I really have a desire to learn everything I can about it.

FYI:  ANY little bit of info/knowledge that anyone ever wants to share (PLEASE think of me & pm or email me at legaltrends@aol.com)

L ttaL   T

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8390 Posts
      Posted: December 18, 2005, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

I heard about excel I mean it comes with most computers nowadays. Had no idea you could use it for the lottery numbers. Then one day while here on lottery post I saw posts where people were using it to track numbers and write programs. And a whole new world opened up to me I found that my state lottery had a downloadable excel format for their numbers game. And I went berserk I started dreaming up all kinds of things I'd like to do to try and win money playing the lottery using excel to find the necessary numbers that might hit next.

But the bigger problem was I had no idea how to use it other than tracking and adding new numbers to the data base. I manually created various worksheets to identify numbers for pick 3/4/5/lottery games. I learned some stuff here on lottery post but realize I need to get with someone whom is an expert user if I am to try and learn to write programs or create macro's. I have been looking for a beginners book for excel 98 and couldn't fine one/haven't found one. So many of my worksheet are updated sitting in limbo so to speak waiting for the day I run into someone interested enough to look at my stuff and try and find different ways to use it running the various programs I know an expert user could write.

Some stuff I dreamed up Todd has created already the inspector and deflator were just a few of my ideas I had around the same time he was already working on them. When he created the prediction pages I saw all kinds of opportunities to win money using certain predictors posted picks. These were the people who were at the time posting winning picks on a daily basis. Then Todd created filters so we could omit or add different posters numbers to his resources pages.

One of the things on my wish list and things to do next year is to try and learn how to use excel. Programing has never been my strong suite so I'll have to work very hard to grasp the knowledge to begin using it and learn taking baby steps until I can handle it on my own.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19893 Posts
        Posted: December 18, 2005, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

I never learn anything about Excel, but I did learn a little about Lotus and some other data handling programs before it came along.  The company that I retired from offered to pay for computer courses for all its employee who were willing to take classes on their own time and that included learning Excel since it was used a work. 

I alway thought it was a good idea for everyone at work learn Excel and be on the same page about how work data was handled to avoid confusion but if everyone handled lottery data the same way they could expect the same results.  I preferred to learn a computer program language to write my own unique data handling process.

I understand you can insert VB routines in Excel but if you understand VB you can write your own stand alone program without Excel.  Writing VB routines is only a benefit to others who don't know how to get the results they desire and no benefit to a programmer unless he does it to present his data to others.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #1340
          April 6, 2003
          2450 Posts
          Posted: December 18, 2005, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

I think Excel is the ideal medium for sharing lottery ideas because of it's large installed user base.

the whole VBA issue is not as easy as it sounds, VB and VBA are similar but since most PCs come with excel and you have to buy VB, excel is the better choice because now you have the power of a spreadsheet AND VB, rather than trying to code the spreadsheet part. VBA can tie in programs from all of office, not just excel. Also, a group of spreadsheet power-users tend to be a bit more open minded and sharing than a group of hardcore programmers.

I had to vote myself as "grasshopper" because I can usually do things myself but usually once a month I will find a formula or macro on the LP that gives me yet another "Why didn't I think of that?" moment... I don't recall having too many moments like that in any of the programming languages on the LP.

What I feel the advantage to excel to be is the ability to display the data all at once, if you have a cumulative formula, you can see it play out visually... I definitely like that for backtesting against a history data set.

Google is quite the resource for free excel tutorials at all levels and for all versions...

http://www.google.com

Snakeyes's avatar - 8579390479 65f71643cf_m.jpg
            Cleveland, Ohio
            United States
            Member #11445
            February 13, 2005
            1303 Posts
            Posted: December 18, 2005, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

I've used Excel for about 12 years now. I've learned quite a bit but still learn something new each time I see someone elses work.  So, like hypersoniq, I vote myself as "grasshopper"

Snakeyes

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
              Charlotte NC
              United States
              Member #17406
              June 18, 2005
              4054 Posts
              Posted: December 18, 2005, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

Yes NodI used it on my job every day just using simple formulas and linking for statistics.  It was nothing compared to the forumlas I seen here on LP.

takeemtothebank

paurths's avatar - underground
                Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
                Belgium
                Member #19287
                July 29, 2005
                2254 Posts
                Posted: December 18, 2005, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

I think Excel is the ideal medium for sharing lottery ideas because of it's large installed user base.

the whole VBA issue is not as easy as it sounds, VB and VBA are similar but since most PCs come with excel and you have to buy VB, excel is the better choice because now you have the power of a spreadsheet AND VB, rather than trying to code the spreadsheet part. VBA can tie in programs from all of office, not just excel. Also, a group of spreadsheet power-users tend to be a bit more open minded and sharing than a group of hardcore programmers.

I had to vote myself as "grasshopper" because I can usually do things myself but usually once a month I will find a formula or macro on the LP that gives me yet another "Why didn't I think of that?" moment... I don't recall having too many moments like that in any of the programming languages on the LP.

What I feel the advantage to excel to be is the ability to display the data all at once, if you have a cumulative formula, you can see it play out visually... I definitely like that for backtesting against a history data set.

Google is quite the resource for free excel tutorials at all levels and for all versions...

http://www.google.com

VB vs Cellfunctions:

Try to write a function that will quicksort a multidimensional array, with one of the arguments being the field to sort on.

VB, compiled, will process it a thousand times faster.
                In excel you'll have to copy the function into every cell, making your spreadsheet pretty slow.
                Then again, you could use VBA, "crossplatform" (what's in a name) concerning Excel, Access, Word & even Powerpoint etc. A joke, so it seems, VBA is not even consistant within the entire Office-suite...

Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #1340
                  April 6, 2003
                  2450 Posts
                  Posted: December 18, 2005, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

If I were writing a clearly defined, well thought out program, VB or even C++ for sure, but in the whole confusion of trying new ideas and seeing rapid changes... I found VBA to be enough. Should I find something that warrants the move, coding wouldn't be out of the question. I did that for comparing RNG results with seed manipulation in VB6 because it was orders of magnitude faster than excel for the same operations.

I have yet to see anything run faster than compiled C++ on Linux, but could you imagine the questions we would get sharing that code?

paurths's avatar - underground
                    Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
                    Belgium
                    Member #19287
                    July 29, 2005
                    2254 Posts
                    Posted: December 18, 2005, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

If I were writing a clearly defined, well thought out program, VB or even C++ for sure, but in the whole confusion of trying new ideas and seeing rapid changes... I found VBA to be enough. Should I find something that warrants the move, coding wouldn't be out of the question. I did that for comparing RNG results with seed manipulation in VB6 because it was orders of magnitude faster than excel for the same operations.

I have yet to see anything run faster than compiled C++ on Linux, but could you imagine the questions we would get sharing that code?

blnHyperSoniq = True!

Before i even think about implementing new stuff into VB i first try it out in MS Access.
                    Way faster in developing (the forms are all there, objects are easy to place, ...)
                    If i think it's worth it, i put time in it to implement it into VB.

And ofcourse, C++ of C# is way faster, no wonder, ofcourse...

But sometimes i get really tired  of putting all "the new stuff" into trial, over and over again writing code that, in the end, leads nowhere...
                    But still, in persuit (or pursuit? don't know this word...) of the ... software...

btw, will LDR 5 hit NY midday tomorrow?
                    And, will LDR 2 hit IL midday tomorrow?
                    And, will LDR 4 hit PA midday tomorrow?

Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #1340
                      April 6, 2003
                      2450 Posts
                      Posted: December 18, 2005, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

VB.net holds it's own since they implemented that intermediate layer in visual studio.net. The way MS touts it, I am beginning to think .net language choice is merely a matter of preference since it all gets compiled into the same intermediade code before being squished into a binary executable. I wonder why they just don't show you how to code in that language? (MSIL=Microsoft Intermediate Language)

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                        Member #13130
                        March 30, 2005
                        2171 Posts
                        Posted: December 20, 2005, 12:45 am - IP Logged

Lurking

hmmm... C+, etc., faster, better, stronger...blah blah blah.

I don't need all that #include <stdio.headache>

I prefer VB & variants. I can describe a new idea in english, and the code is almost written. Given todays pc speeds, or last weeks for that matter, if process speed is a factor, the code needs to be reworked. If it pulls winners, I'll let it run half the night.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #1340
                          April 6, 2003
                          2450 Posts
                          Posted: December 26, 2005, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

hmmm... no zen masters yet...

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #22395
                            September 24, 2005
                            1583 Posts
                            Posted: December 26, 2005, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Out of 29,000+ members and only 32 votes? The odds are in your favor that a Master exists!

New Mexico
                              United States
                              Member #12305
                              March 10, 2005
                              2984 Posts
                              Posted: December 26, 2005, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

I use excel to the extent I'm able to puzzle it out, which is barely.  Took me longer to figure out just how to convert number databases into an excel format than was required to learn to get word processing function and spreadsheet function out of my first 32K Kaypro back in 1982.

Thanks to hyper and suggestions from some others on LP I'm able to sort numbers, which I couldn't do for several months despite studying the help screens, but I haven't yet managed the one step beyond to be able to make histogram work.

I think I'd qualify as being about three steps on the wrong side of a 'NOVICE' level, but it's still a miracle, still something I'd hate to have to do without.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser