Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NC joins Powerball

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
Mcminnville, Oregon
United States
Member #3013
December 13, 2003
3052 Posts
Posted: December 19, 2005, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

I read it on Yahoo news section.

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: December 19, 2005, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

With Lotto South probably breaking apart, NC should also consider joining MUSL Hot Lotto.

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: December 19, 2005, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I saw it on WRAL's website. I think Mega Millions would have been a better fit for North Carolina, but at least that's more money going into Powerball, which is more accessible to me. The question is, what other games will they be offering? Pick 3 is an obvious choice, and Pick 4 eventually. Some sort of Pick 5 would also be good, and a Pick 6 for those jackpot hunters who want better odds.

(insert signature here)

United States
        Member #379
        June 5, 2002
        11296 Posts
        Posted: December 19, 2005, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I saw it on WRAL's website. I think Mega Millions would have been a better fit for North Carolina, but at least that's more money going into Powerball, which is more accessible to me. The question is, what other games will they be offering? Pick 3 is an obvious choice, and Pick 4 eventually. Some sort of Pick 5 would also be good, and a Pick 6 for those jackpot hunters who want better odds.

NC's pick 6 should be a modified (with Lotto Silver) Hot Lotto.

United States
          Member #1826
          July 11, 2003
          2645 Posts
          Posted: December 19, 2005, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

Uh, that's not a pick-6, that's a 5+1.

(insert signature here)

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: December 19, 2005, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Well, you do pick 6 numbers in HL. I don't expect Lotto South to survive 2006.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
              PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2226 Posts
              Posted: December 19, 2005, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

Just like you did not expect LFL to last till 2005?

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: December 19, 2005, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

Just like you did not expect LFL to last till 2005?

I like Lotto South. But KY probably will replacing LS with a game with a top prize similar to Unlucky for Life.

United States
                  Member #5565
                  July 11, 2004
                  260 Posts
                  Posted: December 19, 2005, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

The commission also wanted a presentation from the operators of Mega Millions, the nation's other multi-state game, but that group declined. North Carolina lottery officials say Mega Millions does not want additional states to join right now.

http://www.wral.com/news/5579479/detail.html?rss=ral&psp=news 

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                    Charlotte NC
                    United States
                    Member #17406
                    June 18, 2005
                    4053 Posts
                    Posted: December 19, 2005, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

Yes NodI'm not surprised that NC picked Powerball.  SC has Powerball and Virginia have Mega Millions.  Charlotte is the largest city in NC and the closest to SC. That way it will keep the NC people in NC and SC people in SC.

If NC had chosen Mega Millions, people from SC will come to NC to play Mega Millions and NC people would go to SC to play Powerball.  People will play both.  It would have been a lottery war.

I'm sure that was a big factor too.

takeemtothebank

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                      Charlotte NC
                      United States
                      Member #17406
                      June 18, 2005
                      4053 Posts
                      Posted: December 19, 2005, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

SmashSo this was the main reason.

The commission also wanted a presentation from the operators of Mega Millions, the nation's other multi-state game, but that group declined. North Carolina lottery officials say Mega Millions does not want additional states to join right now.

Executive Director Tom Shaheen also recommended Powerball because a large concentration of Tar Heel residents, especially in the Charlotte area, already play the game in South Carolina.

The state of Virginia participates in Mega Millions.

takeemtothebank

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: December 19, 2005, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

Powerball needs North Carolina. Its rollovers are pathetic right now.

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: December 21, 2005, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

SmashSo this was the main reason.

Executive Director Tom Shaheen also recommended Powerball because a large concentration of Tar Heel residents, especially in the Charlotte area, already play the game in South Carolina.

The state of Virginia participates in Mega Millions.

MM will regret not soliciting North Carolina if the game is ruled illegal in California.

United States
                            Member #16612
                            June 2, 2005
                            3493 Posts
                            Posted: December 21, 2005, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Well NC will be happy once they join PB in July 2006 so they won't go too far. Until then, they have to go to SC to play PB tickets.

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: December 22, 2005, 9:46 am - IP Logged

Well NC will be happy once they join PB in July 2006 so they won't go too far. Until then, they have to go to SC to play PB tickets.

And by joining MUSL, North Carolina would be eligible to sell Hot Lotto.