Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Kansas Lottery Determines System Failure

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 11 years ago by LANTERN.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
wreakshavok777's avatar - enzyte thumb.jpg
oklahoma
United States
Member #12313
March 10, 2005
165 Posts
Posted: December 23, 2005, 2:59 am - IP Logged

The winning numbers for the Kansas Lottery's Pick 3 drawings for December 16, 17 and 18, 2005, were identical and drawn in the same order: 5 – 0 – 9. The Kansas Lottery has now determined that the Pick 3 drawings for December 17 and 18, 2005 were the result of a failure of the drawing system being used. A hardware failure caused a reconfiguration of the system, and this caused the system to interact differently. The system chose the same numbers on December 17 and 18, as were chosen on December 16, 2005. The draw of December 16, 2005 was the result of proper functioning of the system.

Initial testing done by the Kansas Lottery and GTECH, the provider of the system, would not and did not detect any issues. This routine testing showed the system to be operating normally, and that information was relayed to players, retailers and media. However, the Lottery requested that GTECH conduct further testing to replicate the scenario of events in its simulation testing environment. In doing so, the problem caused by the reconfiguration was detected. The problem has been corrected to prevent the same issue from occurring again. No other Kansas Lottery game or any other Pick 3 drawing was affected in any way.

A special promotion will be conducted on Saturday, December 24, 2005, giving anyone who makes a Pick 3 ticket purchase of $1.00 or more a free $1.00 Quick Pick, Pick 3 ticket, any order. In addition, players who have non-winning Pick 3 tickets from December 17 or 18, 2005, and who wish to return them for a refund, may do so by bringing or mailing the tickets, along with their return address, to Lottery headquarters at this address:

Pick 3 Refund
Kansas Lottery

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

powerplayer's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
    Member #17834
    June 28, 2005
    2083 Posts
    Posted: December 23, 2005, 3:06 am - IP Logged

The winning numbers for the Kansas Lottery's Pick 3 drawings for December 16, 17 and 18, 2005, were identical and drawn in the same order: 5 – 0 – 9. The Kansas Lottery has now determined that the Pick 3 drawings for December 17 and 18, 2005 were the result of a failure of the drawing system being used. A hardware failure caused a reconfiguration of the system, and this caused the system to interact differently. The system chose the same numbers on December 17 and 18, as were chosen on December 16, 2005. The draw of December 16, 2005 was the result of proper functioning of the system.

Initial testing done by the Kansas Lottery and GTECH, the provider of the system, would not and did not detect any issues. This routine testing showed the system to be operating normally, and that information was relayed to players, retailers and media. However, the Lottery requested that GTECH conduct further testing to replicate the scenario of events in its simulation testing environment. In doing so, the problem caused by the reconfiguration was detected. The problem has been corrected to prevent the same issue from occurring again. No other Kansas Lottery game or any other Pick 3 drawing was affected in any way.

A special promotion will be conducted on Saturday, December 24, 2005, giving anyone who makes a Pick 3 ticket purchase of $1.00 or more a free $1.00 Quick Pick, Pick 3 ticket, any order. In addition, players who have non-winning Pick 3 tickets from December 17 or 18, 2005, and who wish to return them for a refund, may do so by bringing or mailing the tickets, along with their return address, to Lottery headquarters at this address:

Pick 3 Refund
    Kansas Lottery

Hi there wreakshavok777,

I had the following in my blog:

I have noticed that not all states do both day & night computerized. It seems wierd why a state would spend the money to upgrade there systems to a computer for one drawing but not the other. I'm only referring to pick3/4 games. As anyone would know a computer is only random to the point of the programmer that made it that way.

So there is human flaw that can occur. Like when they do system updates and they crash. That can cause a loop hole of how the #'s are drawn.

Being a computer tech...I knew there was a flaw.

Computers make flaws just like humans make flaws...Y u ask? Well if it's human made that means there is room for human error or hardware error at that....

I wonder if they had to change the seed programming or if they just kicked it or maybe they went to MS site & saw the FAQ that says 99% of all computer problems can be solved by rebooting.

PP

Good luck to everyone!!!

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
      Tx
      United States
      Member #4570
      May 4, 2004
      5180 Posts
      Posted: December 23, 2005, 3:09 am - IP Logged

A random generator not working ? Is that what they use ? How can a RNG malfunction, just how complicated can they be ? Are not software RNGs simple enough ? I have never before heard of any RNG not working, they might not be really random, but they are random enough not to give the same number 3 times in a row, something is not right.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

powerplayer's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
        Member #17834
        June 28, 2005
        2083 Posts
        Posted: December 23, 2005, 3:15 am - IP Logged

A random generator not working ? Is that what they use ? How can a RNG malfunction, just how complicated can they be ? Are not software RNGs simple enough ? I have never before heard of any RNG not working, they might not be really random, but they are random enough not to give the same number 3 times in a row, something is not right.

Lantern,

From the research I have done ...I know that there is 2 types of RNG's.

Hardware RNG

Software RNG:

Example of software:

Microsoft Visual Basic uses the linear-congruential method for pseudo-random number generation in the RND function.

I'm sure they use a harder RNG then VB but you never know...that's what we expect....????

So if a computer crashes or freezes or messes up period ...it's going to break the RNG...LOL

Maybe they should have gone UNIX/LINUX....very stable at least...

PP

Good luck to everyone!!!

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
          Tx
          United States
          Member #4570
          May 4, 2004
          5180 Posts
          Posted: December 23, 2005, 3:48 am - IP Logged

Well, it's OK, so long as they don't do it very often.

Maybe they should use 10 sided dice. Maybe less prone to failures. And then I should try predicting with runes (rune stones), But I would prefer fire (flames), like from a fireplace.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."