Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 12:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

El Gordo winners

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 11 years ago by dvdiva.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
Atlantic Mine, Michigan
United States
Member #416
June 23, 2002
1614 Posts
Posted: December 23, 2005, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

The sweepstakes known as "El Gordo" — the Fat One — sprinkled more than $2.4 billion in cheer throughout Spain on Thursday — a 200-year-old tradition that shuns jackpots in favor of thousands of shared numbers that spread the wealth.

All 1,700 first-prize tickets, each worth $360,000, were sold by one lottery office in Vic, a town of 30,000 about 40 miles north of Barcelona.

"I won't believe it until I see the money," said Alexandra Montaner, 18, giggling as revelers chugged bottles of sparkling wine and sprayed it on each other on the streets of Vic. "I have never seen so many people on the streets."

Montaner, who works at her family's catering company, plans to buy a new car and treat her parents to a fancy vacation with the proceeds from her winning ticket.

Police had to cut off a street where crowds thronged the lottery office that sold the top prize tickets.

"This has absolutely overwhelmed us," said Miquel Colina, the office manager.

Spaniards were in suspense for nearly three hours until the first-prize number — 20085 — fell from a golden tumbler during a televised ceremony. It takes so long because nearly 1,800 numbers bring rewards ranging from the ticket's $24 face value to the top prize — "El Gordo."

It was not the first time one town came away with all "El Gordo" tickets. It happened last year in another town in Catalonia, one named Sort — Catalan for "luck." In 2000, the fortune befell the town of Segovia, 30 miles north of Madrid.

Bars and restaurants traditionally buy many of the tickets to resell, either for the face value or divided into shares.

Some $216 million of Vic's windfall went to the employees and customers of Carme Criviller's restaurant — except for two. A cook and a waitress opted against the gamble "because they are anti-lottery," she told the news agency Efe.

"We are going to have to do something for them, give them a gift," she said, wine bottles popping all around her.

Criviller and her husband bought several tickets, winning $1.4 million.

In keeping with a custom that dates to 1812, children from a school, chosen decades ago because it was then an orphanage, sang out the winning numbers.

The idea is for big money to trickle through Spanish society, where co-workers, relatives, sports clubs and other groups often pitch in to buy tickets together.

Although other lotteries have bigger individual top prizes, Spain's is billed as the world's richest lottery for the total sum of prize money dished out.

The total prize money is up from $2.1 billion last year.

***With response to the the sentence I put in italized print, I would tell those anti-lottery people to piss off.  This is not to be greedy, but if you are anti-lottery you don't deserve to have any proceeds from a lottery then. 

Brad

Atlantic Mine, Michigan
    United States
    Member #416
    June 23, 2002
    1614 Posts
    Posted: December 23, 2005, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

The US really should get something of this sort.  A national lottery that takes place once or twice a year this big.  It seems like an exciting time every Christmas over there in Spain.

Brad

United States
      Member #16612
      June 2, 2005
      3493 Posts
      Posted: December 23, 2005, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

Bradly, does this mean the El Gordo is drawn a 5 digit number from 00000 to 99999 in a ticket? When the first prize was won, it is worth exactly $360000 US or 360,000 in Spain's currency?

Atlantic Mine, Michigan
        United States
        Member #416
        June 23, 2002
        1614 Posts
        Posted: December 23, 2005, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

No El Gordo is not a normal lottery.  They have about, I believe, 70,000 different tickets.  Each ticket has 20 different sub-tickets on it and each one of the 70,000 tickets is replicated thousands of times.  Well that is what I get from it.  So really the first prize is worth about $640,000,000 but by the time it is distributed to the smallest tickets it comes out to be $360,000 for each one.  That is why so many people won the first prize in the same town.  There are many tickets with the same numbers so it happened that town had the numbered ticket to sell. 

Brad

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: December 24, 2005, 11:42 am - IP Logged

I remember Maryland had a similar lottery in 1992. Both the top prize and second prize were annuity-only.

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: December 25, 2005, 11:43 am - IP Logged

Cool lottery.  Cool way to run it.  Thanks for passing on the info.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
              Member #2338
              September 17, 2003
              2063 Posts
              Posted: December 26, 2005, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

In the US you just get to "share" your jackpot with Uncle Sam. That's our version. Otherwise it would be called a 2nd tier prize since that's about the same level as the highest amount in El Gordo.