Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Splitting those killer 8 pairs

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

When do you split a pair of 8s?

Always? [ 3 ]  [37.50%]
Dealer 8 or lower? [ 3 ]  [37.50%]
Surrender on a dealer 10, or treat as 16 [ 2 ]  [25.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 8 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
New Mexico
United States
Member #12305
March 10, 2005
2984 Posts
Posted: December 27, 2005, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

I never split 8s against a dealer 10. I just ain't interested in any of the usual outcomes. I'll surrender them against 10s, ace, or 9. Split them against an 8 or lower.

How do you handle them?

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

New Mexico
    United States
    Member #12305
    March 10, 2005
    2984 Posts
    Posted: December 28, 2005, 6:24 am - IP Logged

Last night I decided on a whim to set up the Bearwear animated blackjack game to run all the time testing game strategies. 

As of the moment, after 2938 hands the player set to split 10s against a 5, or 6, hit Aces against a dealer 10, split them otherwise, hit 12s against dealer 2 or 3, double them against a dealer 5 or 6, double soft 18s against a dealer 5 or 6, and stand on 8 pairs unless the dealer has an 8 or lower,

has won 8 hands more than he's lost

The most conventional strategy player has lost more than 100 hands more than he's won.

Second best is a player using the same strategy as number 1, but not splitting 10s.  That one's lost roughly 75 more hands than he's won.

I'm going to let this run through a million or so hands and tweak it now and then before I reach any conclusions, but at the moment I'm going to do my table playing by that strategy.

Jack

Egos don't count.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23348 Posts
      Posted: December 28, 2005, 8:52 am - IP Logged

I always split 8's, no matter what.  A 16 is the worst hand imaginable, and to take a 16 and give yourself a chance at 2 18's is a very good move.  (It's called "gambling" for a reason!)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

New Mexico
        United States
        Member #12305
        March 10, 2005
        2984 Posts
        Posted: December 28, 2005, 9:34 am - IP Logged

Thankee Todd.

Your approach puts you in company with a lot of good gamblers.  Most of them, in fact.

I just tend to play that one differently because I don't like to ever push more money onto the table when I'm looking at a dealer 10, and I have something mediocre.  There's certainly a shot at a pair of 18s and 2/1 odds the dealer won't have a 10 underneath.  But the other possibility, and one I see enough to cause me to avoid doing it, is ending up with three or four 8s out there, three or four times as much money on the table, and a lot of 18s against a dealer 20.

It's called gambling, but that's one gamble I just don't care for.  I figure hitting them, surrendering them, or standing on them all get me out of a lousy hand as cheaply as I can get out.

Jack

Egos don't count.