Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 12:05 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

8 lottery winners who lost their millions

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 11 years ago by rlevins.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Australia
Member #17096
June 11, 2005
225 Posts
Posted: December 30, 2005, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

Having piles of cash only compounds problems for some people. Here are sad tales of foolishness, hit men, greedy relatives and dreams dashed.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Savinganddebt/Savemoney/P99649.asp 

Australia
    Member #17096
    June 11, 2005
    225 Posts
    Posted: December 30, 2005, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

This is why lottery winners need anonymity.

Sparta, NJ
      United States
      Member #18331
      July 9, 2005
      1977 Posts
      Posted: December 30, 2005, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

Once again, the facts. Winning money doesn't take any intelliect, just luck.  All money will do is refocus the spotlight.  If you're dumb enough to look into the headlights with fifty-cents in your pocket, you will continue to be dumb enough to look into the headlights with 50 million dollars in the bank.  Stupid is as stupid does.  The acticle highlights the stupid.  The intelligent turn their eyes away from the headlights, and tend to live happily ever after.  The big difference? Control your emotions and you control your life.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Australia
        Member #17096
        June 11, 2005
        225 Posts
        Posted: December 30, 2005, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

Chewie, I agree. But it is much easer to maintain control if you don't have publicity to cope with. If people don't know that you have won, they won't treat you differently, they won't have expectations. You won't get very sad cases playing on your emotions seeking help. Yes, you can say no, but it would be easier if you weren't asked. Some people have difficulty dealing with sudden wealth buy, publicity makes it even harder.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23348 Posts
          Posted: December 30, 2005, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

This is kind of an old story, posted here before.  I think I even posted it in the News section in the past.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
            A long and winding road
            United States
            Member #17084
            June 10, 2005
            4574 Posts
            Posted: December 30, 2005, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

The article highlights the *unfortunate* mistakes some folks make when making investments. I would absolutely love to get an autograph of a person who hasn't made a mistake or made a poor investment choice.

The article highlighted and the folks readily admit that hind-sight is 20/20 when it came to their poor choices. They gained wisdom which can be bought at the price of making a mistake. They just paid more for that dose of wisdom :)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: December 31, 2005, 9:51 am - IP Logged

It ain't that big a deal.

• They didn't have it.
              • They had it.
              • They didn't have it.

Life's a fun ride and they rode that particular car.  Now they get to ride some other one.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

United States
                Member #5565
                July 11, 2004
                260 Posts
                Posted: December 31, 2005, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

Lottery winners also need various insurance coverages in the event that they might get sued. The insurance company will be co-defendants in such suits, and you'll have access to their attorneys.  You're less likely to get hit with nuisance suits.

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
                  Albuquerque, New Mexico
                  United States
                  Member #5128
                  June 18, 2004
                  377 Posts
                  Posted: December 31, 2005, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

What an appropriate message for the beginning of the New Year! Yes, the link may have been cited here, but for some of the prospective lottery winners (past ones as well), the LP readers must learn from the rich and famous' money woes. Money is serious business; it is not a Monopoly game.  So, choose your 'moves' wisely.

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley

Sparta, NJ
                    United States
                    Member #18331
                    July 9, 2005
                    1977 Posts
                    Posted: December 31, 2005, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

The article highlights the *unfortunate* mistakes some folks make when making investments. I would absolutely love to get an autograph of a person who hasn't made a mistake or made a poor investment choice.

Travel to New York, Hillary will sign a book for you; if you first buy a copy.

(Sorry, couldn't resist commenting on the ultimately perfect woman)

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: December 31, 2005, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

Once again, the facts. Winning money doesn't take any intelliect, just luck.  All money will do is refocus the spotlight.  If you're dumb enough to look into the headlights with fifty-cents in your pocket, you will continue to be dumb enough to look into the headlights with 50 million dollars in the bank.  Stupid is as stupid does.  The acticle highlights the stupid.  The intelligent turn their eyes away from the headlights, and tend to live happily ever after.  The big difference? Control your emotions and you control your life.

I agree, Morons will always be morons.

Like Bugs Bunny used to say: What a maroon!!

Just take a look at my recent blog entry. A guy opening his car door in a car wash. Bad judgements run rampant.

United States
                        Member #23787
                        October 16, 2005
                        68 Posts
                        Posted: December 31, 2005, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Everyone has his opinion on this subject and I think that there are just two things which are important if you win big. (Although life is full of surprises and one will never know what will happen tomorrow even if you try to take care of several possibilities)
                        1) Anyone who wins big or gets lot of money suddenly should control his/her emotions (not an easy task, but it also is true most of the times that it is not easy to be successful in life)
                        2) Irrespective of whether one is a genius/very smart/smart/average or below average person, one should try to spend time in learning how to manage money instead of spending time in just blowing it.
                        Following is a website which I found about sudden money, which may be useful.
                        http://www.suddenmoney.com/