Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Far Off the mark

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 11 years ago by time*treat.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #29664
January 4, 2006
2 Posts
Posted: January 4, 2006, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

Just for kicks and grins, I've developed a html page to calculate how far away from the winning powerball numbers using a stack of pennies in relative miles.  Where each penny is a selection of numbers, plus powerball.  The closest I've come so far is 1.89 miles.

http://webpages.charter.net/dcronin/lottery

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
    A long and winding road
    United States
    Member #17084
    June 10, 2005
    4525 Posts
    Posted: January 5, 2006, 2:03 am - IP Logged

okay , you either got wayyy too  much time on your hands, or your relatively brilliant! I 'll have to flip a coin to decide which one you are though .

sorry that i didnt visit the link, but recently had a virus crop up from following a link ...

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: January 5, 2006, 3:39 am - IP Logged

skycruzr,

When you say the closet you've come to winning the powerball is 1.89 miles, do you mean that had you bought your ticket at a store 2 miles down the road you might have been closer to winning?  Or are you just BSing to get people to visit your website?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
        Member #16612
        June 2, 2005
        3493 Posts
        Posted: January 5, 2006, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

I always buy my lotto tickets within 2 miles, but not successful of winning anything more than $23 [2001].

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
          Member #91
          January 19, 2002
          11927 Posts
          Posted: January 5, 2006, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

skycruzr,

When you say the closet you've come to winning the powerball is 1.89 miles, do you mean that had you bought your ticket at a store 2 miles down the road you might have been closer to winning?  Or are you just BSing to get people to visit your website?

Or do you mean that if you lined up every combination in sequence and each penny represented a combination in that sequence you were 159,667 combinations away from the winning set of numbers.....Or are you really just BSing like RJoh says.....

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19825 Posts
            Posted: January 5, 2006, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

fja,

I never thought of sequencing the combinations of PowerBall from 1 to 146,107,962 (1 2 3 4 5 +1 to 51 52 53 54 55 +42) which brings up some other questions.  If one knows the sequence of the winning number, how far away are the 41 combinations that matched 5+0?  Could a 3+1 combination be closer and pay less?  If a closer combination paid less, what is the value of being close?  Do such information have any value?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: January 6, 2006, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

I haven't done this sequence thing for a game with a bonus ball, but to answer the question regarding 'closeness' of the almost wons (lower tier prizes), these are varying distances from the top prize sequencewise.  Some are clustered near it but most are scattered . The main factor is the winner itself. Winners that begin with (2 or 3) low numbers, or are mostly high numbers, have their lower tier prizes clustered more than 'wide spread' sets.

If that is hard to visualize, consider the pick 3 numbers 000 to 999. if 123 is the winner, the six ways it can fall are 'clustered' closer together than the six numbers generated by 149. (Played 'box', of course)

I would say that the potential value of such info depends on if you believe it has some.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                Member #91
                January 19, 2002
                11927 Posts
                Posted: January 6, 2006, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

fja,

I never thought of sequencing the combinations of PowerBall from 1 to 146,107,962 (1 2 3 4 5 +1 to 51 52 53 54 55 +42) which brings up some other questions.  If one knows the sequence of the winning number, how far away are the 41 combinations that matched 5+0?  Could a 3+1 combination be closer and pay less?  If a closer combination paid less, what is the value of being close?  Do such information have any value?

the 41 combinations that matched 5+0 would be within 30.76 inches of the winning combination.  As far as value....a tossed horse shoe has more value than this type of analyzing.....Thumbs Down 

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: January 6, 2006, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

RJOh,

In the case of these bonus ball games, if you use the sequence (1 2 3 4 5 +1 to 51 52 53 54 55 +42), the 5+0 numbers are all evenly spaced from each other.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                    Member #29664
                    January 4, 2006
                    2 Posts
                    Posted: January 7, 2006, 2:36 am - IP Logged

For the WV Powerball, imagine a stack of pennies 144+ miles high, where each penny is a possible winner of all possible numbers selected plus the powerball.  When I refer to mileage, I'm refering to the distance my selection of numbers, represented by a penny within the stack, are away from the winning set of numbers, the other penny in the stack.  Since it is highly unlikely I'm going to win all the numbers, my brother and I simply brag who was the closest to winning the big bucks, hence, picking all 5-numbers, plus the powerball.  Although a stack of pennies 1.89 miles long or high, is still a lot of missed permutations from hitting all 5-numbers plus the powerball.

B.T.W.  The script only takes into account, hitting all 5-numbers, plus the powerball.  All other winning combinations were not considered.  Nonetheless, I'll still continue to spend my buck everyweek hoping to win, and who knows... even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.  ;-P

Amazing Grace's avatar - lion
                      rainbow lake
                      Canada
                      Member #25177
                      November 2, 2005
                      10764 Posts
                      Posted: January 7, 2006, 3:19 am - IP Logged

Close only counts in Horseshoes and Hand Gernades

United States
                        Member #13130
                        March 30, 2005
                        2171 Posts
                        Posted: January 8, 2006, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

Close only counts in Horseshoes and Hand Gernades

... and lotto-type games that pay on 3/5 and 4/5 matches.