Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto winners. Luck or the Creator?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 11 years ago by dphillips.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
dphillips's avatar - littleuns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
United States
Member #5128
June 18, 2004
377 Posts
Posted: January 8, 2006, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

Who among us has not though about lotto winners -- was it really luck or was it Divine Intervention?  Since I'm keeping this topic light and airy, there is no fire and brimstone sermon, here. 

However, we have some new LP members, and most of us -- at one time or another -- wonder why our ship has not come in!  Therefore, makes you wonder how:

> A retired seargent purchased a gallon of milk, and as a matter of factly, said nonchalantly: "oh, by the way, just give me a Quick Pick!?  The man hits the POWERBALL in New Mexico for $90 million!

> A Des Moines man who had $85,000 worth of credit card debt, filed for bankruptcy, and he hit the December 14 POWERBALL for $114 million!

> A 24 year old woman purchases gas and isn't a regular lottery player -- and just for the hell-of-it purchases a ticket -- wins for $130 million!

Now, these are only three poignant examples of different individuals from different walks of life who happened to win.  Quite frankly, we know there are many, many more lottery winners who would be willing to give their testimonies if we were allowed to ask them that all important question --was it luck or Divine Intervention?

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8363 Posts
    Posted: January 8, 2006, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

ah see below

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
      Albuquerque, New Mexico
      United States
      Member #5128
      June 18, 2004
      377 Posts
      Posted: January 8, 2006, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, Big John for another warm perspective. I hadn't given it much thought until today!

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
        Beautiful Florida
        United States
        Member #5709
        July 18, 2004
        20119 Posts
        Posted: January 8, 2006, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

luck for the non-believers

Divine intervention for the believers

Amazing Grace's avatar - lion
          rainbow lake
          Canada
          Member #25177
          November 2, 2005
          10764 Posts
          Posted: January 8, 2006, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

I am a Believer But I raise the point.

Why do so many people starve in this world?
          Why must man be so greedy?

Hopefully all those big winners help the less fortunate.

Some do and some dont.

There fore it is pure luck.

And the ones that do God bless.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: January 8, 2006, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

you see all these people getting into trouble after they win these huge jackpots so i know the creator wouldn't make that many bad choices so i'll say LUCK.....

Albuquerque, New Mexico
              United States
              Member #5128
              June 18, 2004
              377 Posts
              Posted: January 8, 2006, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

LOTTOMIKE, another interesting point. Well, I guess it depends upon one's perspective. People win at all ages with varying degrees of education; families in tact; dysfunctional families; some winners who really don't need the money; some familes on the fringes of bankruptcy; and some who were at the right place at the right time!

United States
                Member #5565
                July 11, 2004
                260 Posts
                Posted: January 8, 2006, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

My guess is that most of the winners are regular players and may in fact be quite heavy spenders on the lottery. The lottery officials are careful not to disclose how much money the winner actually spent unless it was a wealthy winner to being with. In the case of the Whitaker and the recent Powerball winner from Oregon, they both bought a large number of tickets as disclosed in the news release. The lottery corporation doesn't want encourage people to go in over their heads. They would also open themselves up to criticism from the anti-lottery lobby within their states.

United States
                  Member #24503
                  October 23, 2005
                  159 Posts
                  Posted: January 8, 2006, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

My guess is that most of the winners are regular players and may in fact be quite heavy spenders on the lottery. The lottery officials are careful not to disclose how much money the winner actually spent unless it was a wealthy winner to being with. In the case of the Whitaker and the recent Powerball winner from Oregon, they both bought a large number of tickets as disclosed in the news release. The lottery corporation doesn't want encourage people to go in over their heads. They would also open themselves up to criticism from the anti-lottery lobby within their states.

I Agree!

United States
                    Member #2729
                    November 8, 2003
                    18 Posts
                    Posted: January 8, 2006, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

Blue Angel Winning is the end result of a person's beliefs in abundance and their own self-worth.

A belief in being unworthy for whatever reasons, believing in poverty, dwelling on the lack of money, feeling hopeless --- these will cause you to lose.

If you believe that you are blessed, are deserving of money, feel you have a need and a strong desire for the money, then you will win.

It is divine in the sense of we are learning to use the power God gave us. Wink

Virginia
                      United States
                      Member #26983
                      November 25, 2005
                      167 Posts
                      Posted: January 8, 2006, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

It is true that you are what you eat, and it is also true that what you think becomes you...

Idea 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19830 Posts
                        Posted: January 8, 2006, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

dphillips writes:

> A retired sergeant purchased a gallon of milk, and as a matter of factly, said nonchalantly: "oh, by the way, just give me a Quick Pick!?  The man hits the POWERBALL in New Mexico for $90 million!

> A Des Moines man who had $85,000 worth of credit card debt, filed for bankruptcy, and he hit the December 14 POWERBALL for $114 million!

> A 24 year old woman purchases gas and isn't a regular lottery player -- and just for the hell-of-it purchases a ticket -- wins for $130 million!

Divine intervention or luck, they all bought a ticket.  Luck or divine intervention doesn't help if you don't buy a ticket.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Albuquerque, New Mexico
                          United States
                          Member #5128
                          June 18, 2004
                          377 Posts
                          Posted: January 9, 2006, 10:54 am - IP Logged

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my above post. I am sure your responses are helping our newer LP members and most of our older LP members. Sometimes we all need to be refreshed (energy boost) because most of us haven't been fortunate enough to play POWERBALL or MEGA MILLIONS and hit either one of them the first time, or within six months, or even a year!