Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Going to anonymous state to buy tickets

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 11 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Is it worth it ?

YES.... so I could be guaranteed anonymity! [ 5 ]  [50.00%]
NO, it's not worth the trouble. [ 5 ]  [50.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 10 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
482 Posts
Posted: January 12, 2006, 11:29 am - IP Logged

Hello everyone

For a while, I have been thinking of going to one of the anonymous states (such as Delaware,

North Dakota, Ohio, South Caroliina, New Hampshire, and Louisiana, states where you can actually BE

ANONYMOUS) ONCE a year and buying, like 500 tickets.  However,  the odds of winning the powerball

are 1/146,107,962 and most people who actually WIN only play  a FEW tickets every drawing. 

But don't forget.  No matter HOW MUCH you KNOW about forming a trust,

you can only be anonymous in a state that ALLOWS YOU TO BE ANONYMOUS.  If you form a

trust in New York or Illinois, they will still put your name up, which defeats the purpose of forming a trust

in the first place.  There are other state lottery games that have odds of like 1 out of 6 million , like     

OH  Lot O'Play and other state lotteries.  Some states will allow you to become anonymous, most

states do not.  I just thought that I should set up a poll about this, because I wanted some advice from

all the lottery post members about this, because I am really thinking about doing this.  But then again, if

I play a little once in a while, at least I have a chance every drawing.  Is it worth driving to a different

state or even flying to a different state ONCE a year to buy a lot of tickets (even for anonymity)? This has

been on my mind for a while.  What do you guys think?

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: January 12, 2006, 11:34 am - IP Logged

If someone really wanted to find out who the winner was, believe me they will. With  today's technology and some inside sources, there is a way.

There are plenty of rich people out there who didn't make their money through the lottery and are living their lives in peace. If they can do it, so can you.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
      Member #91
      January 19, 2002
      11924 Posts
      Posted: January 12, 2006, 11:42 am - IP Logged

I'm in one of those states,  I wont tell you which one,,,,I wish to remain anonymous....

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
        Member #567
        August 14, 2002
        482 Posts
        Posted: January 13, 2006, 12:53 am - IP Logged

I wasn't sure whether to play a lot at once or a little every time.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Baton Rouge, LA
          United States
          Member #4602
          May 7, 2004
          699 Posts
          Posted: January 14, 2006, 10:32 am - IP Logged

I'm in Louisiana, which allows the use of trusts and corporations to claim lottery prizes. Others have claimed it using a trust and had an attorney claim it for them.

In my opinion, there is no 100% anomymity. All you can do is make it harder for someone to find you and whether or not they find you is based on whatever time and money they are willing to spend to do so. Claiming with a trust or LLC keeps your name and face out of the papers, which will eliminate alot of the problems of scammers trying to get your money.

It's like I've been told in safety lectures about preventing burglary. Good locks on your doors, an alarm, bars on the windows, etc., don't prevent burglary, they only deter it. The criminals go for the easy mark and most will pass up a place that looks hard to break into and go for the easy mark instead. Alot of the scammers won't try to come after you if it will actually take some work to find you, but again, some will. Using a trust will eliminate most of them, but probably not all.   

If you don't have one already, get an unlisted phone number and some sort of mailing address that isn't your home. Not a guaranty, but again, it helps. If I win, I plan to relocate. Another way to get anomymity is to go where you are unknown. At my job, I probaby won't quit right away until long after the excitement has died down, again a way to keep from raising suspicion.

I also don't plan to go too wild with the money. If I get a new car, it will be a nicer one, but not something like a Mercedes or a BMW that just shouts MONEY. Something nice, just not super nice. I would probably get a new house but again, something nicer, but not a mansion or anything like that.

One just has to be discrete.