Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball win for single mum

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Australia
Member #17096
June 11, 2005
225 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2006, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Perth, West Australia

A single mother in her 40s who lives in a Homeswest house has come forward to claim last week’s $6 million Powerball prize.

The elated woman left it until today to present the winning ticket to Lotterywest, having gone to work as normal the day after she found that she had become a multi-millionaire.

The woman had watched the draw on Thursday night with her daughter and brother and was stunned to realise that she had five numbers and the Powerball. 

“We danced around the room and then told our neighbours.  Soon the whole street was celebrating.  One of our neighbours was crying and saying that that they didn’t want us to leave them,” she said.

The woman told Lotterywest staff that she had always known she would win Lotto.

“When I was 21 a gypsy came to my home in England selling clothes pegs.  She told me that I would come into a large amount of money in unusual circumstances.  Since then I have always known that it was only a matter of time before I won Lotto.”

The woman plans to invest half her winnings and use the rest to put her family into homes of their own.

“I’ll buy a place of my own and set my family up. We’ve struggled and my children have never asked for anything. Now I can give them everything I’ve always wanted to give them.  I’ll pay off the mortgages of my brothers and sisters too.  After that maybe I’ll think about a holiday – I’ve always loved the idea of going to Canada,” the happy winner said.

And in spite of joining the ranks of the super rich WA’s latest Lotto winner will continue working.

“I said to my boss “You know that saying “One Powerball …”  ?  Well I’ve done it – but I’m not going anywhere !”

United States
    Member #16612
    June 2, 2005
    3493 Posts
    Posted: January 23, 2006, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

Congratulations to the PB win for this single mother. I hope she doesn't flop and have financial problems down the road. What's the difference between US and AUS Powerball?

starchild_45's avatar - spherewall2
      kent, washington
      United States
      Member #3509
      January 26, 2004
      465 Posts
      Posted: January 23, 2006, 7:14 pm - IP Logged
      i was wondering about the difference too? when i saw powerball and only a 6 million dollar win. i thought she had split the pot with another winner. then i noticed that it was a win in australia. the other thing that struck me as strange was this:

"And in spite of joining the ranks of the super rich WA’s latest Lotto winner will continue working. " wa being from washington. i thought of my state. hahahaha.

angelm's avatar - anne
        richmond ky.
        United States
        Member #15877
        May 22, 2005
        8472 Posts
        Posted: January 23, 2006, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Good for her!!!!! $$$$$$

United States
          Member #1826
          July 11, 2003
          2645 Posts
          Posted: January 23, 2006, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

There a quite a bit a differences between Australian & American Powerball. For example:

• Aussie Powerball has a 5/45+1/45 matrix, like the original American Powerball.
          • Aussie Powerball jackpots are always paid in one lump sum.
          • Aussie Powerball offers 2 plays for $1.10 AUD.
          • Aussie Powerball puts less money in the jackpot (22% of sales in Australia vs. 30% of sales in the US).
          • Aussie Powerball does not reward prizes for matching 0+1 or 1+1.

(insert signature here)

Australia
            Member #17096
            June 11, 2005
            225 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2006, 6:14 am - IP Logged

All state lottery prizes are totally tax free in Australia!

United States
              Member #16612
              June 2, 2005
              3493 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2006, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

Great jackpot win with lump sum for single mom. In Australian Powerball, what are the odds of winning any prize? Do they have to pay federal tax as usual in Australia? If not, why?