Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Hey I just thought of something.....

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Is the following method worth it (See message below)?

YES [ 3 ]  [9.68%]
NO [ 28 ]  [90.32%]
Total Valid Votes [ 31 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
485 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2006, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

What if, instead of playing $10 twice a week, you play ($10 x 2 drawings/week) x (4 weeks/month) x (12 months/year) = $960 once a year?  You would have more chances to win, but you would only play on that drawing?  Is it worth it?  Your thoughts......

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2006, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps, but I have a hard enough time playing once a month, then waiting for the next month! It is just too tempting to play each week. Plus while you wait for the next month, the large jackpots are gone by then as well. The lottery is simply lose-lose for the most part.

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      51218 Posts
      Posted: January 20, 2006, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

$20 X 52 = $1040

FYI: Their are 4.33333333 weeks per Month

If you lose: Will you wait a years to play again?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19903 Posts
        Posted: January 20, 2006, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

The problem with playing a $1000 at one time, you would probably win half your money back and would want to try it again soon and once you did that you would be hooked on playing a $1000 at a time until you had lost several times.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #10720
          January 23, 2005
          933 Posts
          Posted: January 20, 2006, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

Coming up with that much dough on one day would be a bugger. By the time the day got around I'd probably rather just keep it in the bank as if I'd won $1000. It's more fun if on any given day for a few dollars you can win hundreds. Suddenly that gadget you couldn't afford right now, you can... but my biggest reason is that if I played that many numbers it would severely "water down" my algorithms.. I'd be playing numbers that are at 20% strength.. and since only one number wins you are guaranteed to lose the vast majority of that day's picks.. or maybe some weird number like a Quad comes out that you didn't think of.  MOST TIMES WHEN I WON IT WAS WITHIN MY TWO OR THREE PRIMARY PICKS!

On the other hand if there were only one time per year that Powerball or Mega was say, half a Bill, that would be where to concentrate that kind of money.

Ex... for $1000 you would what, play every pick 3 # straight $1.00, you'd at best win back $600 to $700.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
            Charlotte NC
            United States
            Member #17406
            June 18, 2005
            4054 Posts
            Posted: January 21, 2006, 12:35 am - IP Logged

Perhaps, but I have a hard enough time playing once a month, then waiting for the next month! It is just too tempting to play each week. Plus while you wait for the next month, the large jackpots are gone by then as well. The lottery is simply lose-lose for the most part.

CoffeeIt's like getting paid once a month.

takeemtothebank

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10392 Posts
              Posted: January 21, 2006, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

I voted no, because a player is going to play.

Trying to do what you mentioned would be just like when someon tries to stick with a Slim-Fast diet- eventually all that happens is they revert back to their regular way of eating but are also consuming a can or two of Slim Fast in addition to what they've been consuming.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8395 Posts
                Posted: January 21, 2006, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

What if, instead of playing $10 twice a week, you play ($10 x 2 drawings/week) x (4 weeks/month) x (12 months/year) = $960 once a year?  You would have more chances to win, but you would only play on that drawing?  Is it worth it?  Your thoughts......

Do a test run wheel your perfected set of numbers for 960 tickets and check to see what happens? Of course it's entirely possible that your selected numbers might hit in a wheel that big who knows.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                  PA
                  United States
                  Member #22983
                  October 6, 2005
                  2226 Posts
                  Posted: January 22, 2006, 10:16 am - IP Logged

My post was assuming that you are on a lottery budget, and only had that much to spend for one year. Course I am sure some spend huge amounts at one time, and all throughout the weeks/months as well. I wish I had that kind of money, then I would not have to play the lottery!

United States
                    Member #24439
                    October 22, 2005
                    638 Posts
                    Posted: January 22, 2006, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

The problem with playing a $1000 at one time, you would probably win half your money back and would want to try it again soon and once you did that you would be hooked on playing a $1000 at a time until you had lost several times.

That's genius. You crack me up.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                      Member #13130
                      March 30, 2005
                      2171 Posts
                      Posted: January 28, 2006, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

I'd break this up into 3 trips at least, unless you're going to europe to get your tix.

You'll draw less attention than playing ~$1000 at once (let alone carrying that much $$$)

You'll know if the method shows promise. 

You can use your less-than-jackpot early wins to set up that trust you're working on.

Then when you hit the big one... all the pieces will be in place and "aged"

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: January 28, 2006, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

Isn't that what the Spanish Lotto is based on?  Make one huge bet one time and sit around for a year for the results, or sit around for a year and make one huge bet one time.  I enjoy the lottery too much to just sit around and watch professional wrestling every week for a year and lottery one time.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
                          Member #16612
                          June 2, 2005
                          3493 Posts
                          Posted: January 30, 2006, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely not as my vote. I don't want to spend too much money on lotto. If CA SLP jackpot is at least $48 million or more, I'll start spending money, but at only up to $5 per play.