Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is your system your property?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by time*treat.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: January 25, 2006, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

If you have a degree in something, even if your spouse paid your way through school, that degree belongs to you even if you get divorced. Physical things like houses, cars, and even businesses can be ordered put up for sale, though. A certain "model" inherited a lot of $$$ from her deceased oil-baron husband. That money had been in the family longer than she had. Here's the "hook"; if you've developed (on your own, maybe even years ago) a nice little workout, will it still be yours if you and the sig other move to splitsville? Is your system suddenly marital property? Can you be ordered to fork over a copy to your future ex sweetie? OK, discuss.

You can Argue, but no Boxing, Hit With Stick, or Chair .

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: January 25, 2006, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

If you have a degree in something, even if your spouse paid your way through school, that degree belongs to you even if you get divorced. Physical things like houses, cars, and even businesses can be ordered put up for sale, though. A certain "model" inherited a lot of $$$ from her deceased oil-baron husband. That money had been in the family longer than she had. Here's the "hook"; if you've developed (on your own, maybe even years ago) a nice little workout, will it still be yours if you and the sig other move to splitsville? Is your system suddenly marital property? Can you be ordered to fork over a copy to your future ex sweetie? OK, discuss.

Interesting post.. heck anyone can use my system.. Why would I care if he did?

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: January 25, 2006, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

SmashMadBoxing        Red Devil        Crazy      ROFL

Chair      Hit With Stick        What?      Poke

Bash        P***ed    Bat

Crying        Rant

Naughty

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: January 25, 2006, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

Of course, some people wouldn't mind. But, as pac illustrated, there can be quite a range of emoticons, err, emotions. People have been known to fight over who gets the dog or the coffeemaker. My question was could someone be FORCED to part with their system. Maybe this wouldn't matter at the p3/p4 level. When you get into p5, well... top prizes become parimutual.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

JAP69's avatar - alas
          South Carolina
          United States
          Member #6
          November 4, 2001
          8790 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2006, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

I dont know.

Does a stock market analyst hand over his formula for investing?

Does the doctor teach his spouse how to do brain surgery?

Does the farmer teach his or her spouse when to plant the crops?

Just keep it a secret I guess.

MAGA

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2006, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

I would still have it.. so it would not be like he would be taking it from my memory..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
              Member #14
              November 9, 2001
              31361 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2006, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Interesting post.. heck anyone can use my system.. Why would I care if he did?

the key word is developed

love to nibble those micey feet.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #22395
                September 24, 2005
                1583 Posts
                Posted: January 25, 2006, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

I would go along with JAP69.  The exwife/exhusband would maybe get compensation which would be up to you how that is earned (via the lottery or whatever).  I don't think the actual system has to be exposed or given to the other partner.  If that lottery system was your only source of income, any compensation would be based on that amount.  Suppose you had copyrighted the system? Maybe it would be considered joint property then.  Always the possibility that a test case might come along.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                  Member #15309
                  May 13, 2005
                  307 Posts
                  Posted: January 26, 2006, 12:51 am - IP Logged

It's your intellectual property.  If it's a good one, you should copyright it and maybe make money selling your system.  If you've developed the system during your marriage, than it is community property.  Spouse shares (i.e. if you are in a community property state).

United States
                    Member #13130
                    March 30, 2005
                    2171 Posts
                    Posted: January 26, 2006, 11:26 am - IP Logged

I dont know.

Does a stock market analyst hand over his formula for investing?

Does the doctor teach his spouse how to do brain surgery?

Does the farmer teach his or her spouse when to plant the crops?

Just keep it a secret I guess.

I think analysts have to be licensed. As do doctors, to practice medicine. So just having the knowledge to do the job is not enough. Farms are businesses and can be seized and sold.

And if it is community property, then keeping it a secret is the same as keeping a bank account a secret. <-- that is the thing.

Copyrights? Well, plenty of people have IP they have not paid for.
                    Multimillion dollar companies can't even slay that dragon. 

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #22395
                      September 24, 2005
                      1583 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2006, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

IP? Perhaps just a brain fog moment, I can't figure what that means.

Going back to being a Doctor...you do keep what you know a secret. Actually, I would assume almost every marriage has details that are not talked about regarding the exact job that a person has. I would guess being a CIA agent would be the extreme example?   Even a janitor might not tell all. No different with being a lottery expert.

Zoozie's avatar - back
                        South Fort Myers
                        United States
                        Member #26835
                        November 23, 2005
                        454 Posts
                        Posted: January 26, 2006, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

I think if you actually "develop" the program, you can let people borrow/use it.  BUT they have NO RIGHTS to sell the program/system and claim it as their own... unless you sell the reprint rights to them or you die and leave it to them via a will.

As far as a divorce, etc... that would be like Bill Gates' wife trying to get the rights to his microsoft products and selling it.  Just doesn't work.  She didn't DEVELOP/Create the product, so she can not claim it as her own.  I am sure she is getting a ton of money and royalties, but not all of it.  And I can guarantee she has no stake in his future developments.

Of course, if the person who passes away - the product/system should be left to a said named person to carry on the production of the product.  They still can not put their own name on it because they didn't develop it.

Zoozie  Dance

"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"
                        Napoleon Hill

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19830 Posts
                          Posted: January 26, 2006, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Intellectual property (IP) have to be more than your thoughts, it has to be has to have been used successfully many times.  We all have thoughts of winning the lottery, but if someone with that thought actually win, does the thought of winning become his IP?  If you can't patent or copyright it, it's just a thought.  Chinese invented gunpowder, but I've never heard it was their IP.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

mybolade's avatar - praying hands.jpg
                            Detroit, MI
                            United States
                            Member #8705
                            November 15, 2004
                            1396 Posts
                            Posted: January 26, 2006, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Zoozie. The spouse might be entitled to money from the system. However, if the system was "developed" by one person, the original spouse, I would lean towards it being their system. The monies earned is what should be community property unless the spouse helped develop the system. It would be interesting to see what the courts say.

Bolade'

"Excellence is the result of
                             Caring more than others think is wise;
                             Risking more than others think is safe,
                             Dreaming more than others think is practical, and
                             Expecting more than others think is possible."  Author Unknown

United States
                              Member #13130
                              March 30, 2005
                              2171 Posts
                              Posted: January 26, 2006, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

Hey, thanks Zooz, RJ, et. al.
                              I like to put an unconventional Pokeidea out there on occasion. If a thread stays alive long enough, it will get some good ideas/responses.
                              I know that what is moral and right can be VERY different than what is legal, or attempted when there is $$$ involved. Don't want anybody looking askance Skepticalat their sweetie because of me. Smile