Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is any State Run Lottery Honest?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 11 years ago by richwood.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #31425
January 29, 2006
18 Posts
Posted: January 30, 2006, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

After reading about the man in Indiana who is charged for rigging a scratch off game, I paused to think about the fact that the vendor scientific games knew exactly where the winning tickets where.  That should have sent off bells and whistles, that something is up.  I worked here in Texas for a large brewery.  When they had a promotion in the packaged beer the company knew exactly where that winning six pack or case of beer was going.  Everyone buys the beer with hope of winning the top prize, yet the Company and distributor knew where the exact winner would be placed.  Nothing random about this.  Scratch off distribution is not random either. This man isn't the first to cheat, maybe the first to get caught. 

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: January 30, 2006, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Define honesty.  It is like glazed or stained glass, every one sees a different illusion.  I don't think any lottery is blatantly corrupt.  They may not be what you would like it to be, but they are not corrupt.  They are a business.  Their annual goal is to make a profit.  To do that, they must convince both the stupid and the illusioned intelliect to spend money on something they should know they have horrible odds of winning.  If they were corrupt, people would not be standing in line to spend dollar after dollar after dollar in their joints day after day after day.  Las Vegas is popular because of the illusion of wealth obtainable.  The lottery is hawking the exact same thing.

Crooks?  There is a ten percent rule.  Ten percent of everything will not be like the other 90 percent.  If you lined up 100 of the most perfect people in the world, ten percent would have a failing - visable or not.  Some times it's 9%, sometimes it's 11%, but the principle applies.  Ten percent of the lottery employees might be crooks.  I tend to think that the percentage of crooks is actually extremely small.  They are highly paid, make huge bonuses, and live life most of us can only dream about.  The rest of them are average Joe's, just going to work, home and waiting for the Superbowl.

The lottery is selling a dream.  Because they don't give you that dream, doesn't make it corrupt.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
      Member #31425
      January 29, 2006
      18 Posts
      Posted: January 30, 2006, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

True, the lottery is a buisness, but honest no it is not.  In Texas it took 14 years to finally get a survey done to see who is spending the most money on lottery tickets.  The poor and black people of Texas.  Who gets the most return on money spent is not this group.  They lied for years that the more affluent people won because they spent more money.  The secrets of the gaming industry and state lottery operations is very corrupt.  The true knowledge of this industry is hidden with trade secrets, and inside operations.  Texas started out with showing you the machines drawing the balls for the lotto 6/50 on the news.  One day they reported that the announcer of the winning balls would be taken over what you saw drawn.  Then they switched to flashing the winning numbers at news time 10:15 pm.

Scientific games is the largerst scratch off vendor in Texas and Gtech receives the scratch off games and distributes them to the 16,000 vendors.  Certain retailers always have the big winners.  Some retailers never have anything but the lower tier winners.  Enron corruption is mild compared to the lottery.

Coastal Georgia
        United States
        Member #2653
        October 30, 2003
        1866 Posts
        Posted: January 30, 2006, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

Corrupt is a very strong word, but is it the right word ? 

My problem is in the "randomness" of large jackpot scratch off tickets going to retailers that are chosen by the system .

Why is this done ? Why aren't the tickets distributed without bias ?

What is the criteria that determines which retailer gets the JP tix ?

Promotion of the games ? ie: marketability...

Paying their bills promptly ? How are the accounts settled up with the Lottery ?

Dare I say the kickback word ?  I hate to even think it.

Plenty of food for thought. Times like these call for a sage opinion- anyone seen ol Jack( aka Rip Snorter) lately ?

DD

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5124 Posts
          Posted: January 30, 2006, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

I believe it depends on each individual state "lottery"
          remember the McDonald game piece contest several years

ago?????????? The manager for this contest........slipped a few prize winn'in

games out the backdoor to people who would give him a kickback for the

prize they were sure to share. He was caught after some in the rat pack told

McDonald about the situation.  He only got time in the white collar "open pin"

prison  system,  but  the  McDonald  name  was saved in the meanwhile!!!!!!

It's your "money" and the states obligation to

Beeeeee HONEST with EVERYBODY!!!!!!!

lol $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

PSYKOMO 

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
            Magnolia, Delaware
            United States
            Member #18795
            July 20, 2005
            789 Posts
            Posted: January 30, 2006, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

The big story on the Mc Donald games was on the Monopoly game (5 or 6 years ago now)! It was the printer of the game pieces that was the bad one. He told family members where the big prize pieces were and they would collect them up and hand them to some other people and collect! Then sell the items and divide the cash up among them and laugh it up! The whole thing is that they had done this for 3 games running! So they thought why not go for the Grand Prize! So, they did and that's the one that got them busted! To many family members were winning and the police were on to them. I mean when you have cousins, 2nd & 3rd cousins, uncles, aunts winning big prizes and your the printer, something is bound to begin to "stink" and get someone's attention, which it did and down they all went!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
              Dump Water Florida
              United States
              Member #380
              June 5, 2002
              3106 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2006, 1:37 am - IP Logged

The scratch off games are out of business once all the good prizes tickets are sold, so if we want to know when to stop buying a game because all the good prizes are gone, how can we complain if the lottery knows those rolls have gone to the stores.  As citizens who want the state to do well, don't we want the lottery to hold back a few good prizes so all our tax dollars for advertising a game aren't wasted by the game ending early bacause all the good prizes are gone, so why shouldn't we expect the state to toss a few hot rolls toward the back of the room.  This is why I don't buy scratch and sniff tickets.  When you pick your own numbers the prize is always possible from every location.  BobP

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                Tx
                United States
                Member #4570
                May 4, 2004
                5180 Posts
                Posted: January 31, 2006, 2:19 am - IP Logged

The way that the numbers and their many patterns come out tell the whole story, but most people can't seem to even "see" any patterns at all, much less properly "read" and "interpret" them.

"Random" games ? Don't make me laugh.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Tx
                  United States
                  Member #4570
                  May 4, 2004
                  5180 Posts
                  Posted: January 31, 2006, 2:25 am - IP Logged

Texas has been known to keep on selling the scratch-off tickets even after all the prizes are "gone".

Just as the jackpots are inflated way beyond what the prize money will be.

You say corruption ? What about pre-draws and many sets of balls and machines and all other such manipulations known and also maybe unknown ? What random ?

Tx
                    United States
                    Member #4570
                    May 4, 2004
                    5180 Posts
                    Posted: January 31, 2006, 2:32 am - IP Logged

But no-matter what they do or don't do, there are always things that a person can do to improve the winning chances.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                      Member #2338
                      September 17, 2003
                      2063 Posts
                      Posted: January 31, 2006, 2:55 am - IP Logged

I don't think state lotteries care, most of the board directors treat it as a temp job to academia. If they did care they would have NON computerized drawings and more care with scratch tickets. Personnally I don't think any system where the winning tickets are pre-printed can be 100% safe.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: January 31, 2006, 3:54 am - IP Logged

Texas has been known to keep on selling the scratch-off tickets even after all the prizes are "gone".

Just as the jackpots are inflated way beyond what the prize money will be.

You say corruption ? What about pre-draws and many sets of balls and machines and all other such manipulations known and also maybe unknown ? What random ?

Yes, and I've read that many other states continue to sell scratch tickets after all prize money has been paid, but I'm not sure if they are only talking about the big prizes. If there are no smaller prizes to be won, then that's total fraud and the tickets should be pulled immediately once that is determined.

I agree totally that advertising jackpots which are, in reality, 50% of what a winner will get BEFORE taxes is misleading but most people now realize what a cash value is versus an annuity.

I'm beginning to think even the lottery drawings aren't random, but they are certainly better than computerized drawings which I'm completely against.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                          Tennessee
                          United States
                          Member #7853
                          October 15, 2004
                          11338 Posts
                          Posted: January 31, 2006, 7:10 am - IP Logged

i think tennessee has a list that tells you when the last big ticket is sold.its on the tennessee lottery website.

United States
                            Member #31425
                            January 29, 2006
                            18 Posts
                            Posted: January 31, 2006, 7:23 am - IP Logged

The lotteries in this country are not random. They never have been. Control of your and my donations is what its about. Don't you just love seeing 1 person walk away with all the money over and over again. Thats par-mutuel wagering. Every game they create in the lottery games has a definite pay out and definite winning catagories. With the Cash Five game 1-37 you get 5,4,3,2 payout. IF no one wins the 5 numbers the money is spread out among the other tiers 4,3,2. Sounds good huh! If a game is really random there would be times when no one would hit 4 numbers or three, buts that just not the case. How could this never happen? Controls of the drawing machines and Gtech main two computers that takes in all combinations selected, your pick and quick picks and then spits out what they want to fall. In Texas the range of winners is always very similar in numbers. That indicates they control the actual drawing with the machines everyone is so in love with. No different from the computerized machines. Our print out tickets of the winning numbers for each game tell the paying public how many winners there are in each tier group. I quit playing Bingo because I found out that the house running the games could control who got the winning sheets. If you paid off the people selling the sheets quess what you were sure to have one bingo game that would win. When are people going to demand real and honest games in writing to Congress?